Free Member
Aug 23, 2011
NE England
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgarde 140
Exp
5 years and learning
I need a reversing camera for my lovely new purchase, and was thinking of a wireless jobby to save on running cables through to the cab.

Any recommendations? Would one work with my satnav as viewing screen as the old one did?

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
There are a few threads on here about wireless ones and unfortunately they are not recommended. @dave newell lvs has done an "MMM" video about them. Check it out on You Tube.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
There was a wireless reversing camera on our Burstner when we bought it but it was flaky (although expensive) and we had it replaced. See Here.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
We had a wireless one on our old Hobby..
Worked well enough but would occasionally ( esp in aires and garage forecourts ! ) give us a lovely view of someones boat or what ever.. and in towns we even had pictures of baby cribs and the like !!
Also remember they are not TRULY wireless. You will still need to take a feed to them for voltage ..
Would I get another ?
In all honesty I probably would if the need arose. It worked very well 90% of the time

OP
OP
Touchwood

Touchwood

Free Member
Aug 23, 2011
NE England
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgarde 140
Exp
5 years and learning
Thanks all - guess I'll forget the wireless option then - which means I'll probably get it professionally installed instead of doing the job myself - though last time I did that the idiot couldn't even get the camera on the centre line of the 'van!

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
I need a reversing camera for my lovely new purchase, and was thinking of a wireless jobby to save on running cables through to the cab.

Any recommendations? Would one work with my satnav as viewing screen as the old one did?
I have run both my camera feeds underneath my van, no need to go drilling through the hab. I found a handy bulkhead seal on my pug/fiat cabs just to the right mid of the passenger side footwell to get the wire into the cab and followed an existing wiring loom all the way down to the rear and just clipped the camera wire on at various mounting points with zip ties.....job done easy. In the case of my 2 vans as they were on the standard steel chassis I could get underneath to wire no problem without ramps etc.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
I have the Garmin reversing camera (wireless) which links to my Garmin Camper GPS. The power is taken from the reversing light with a piggy back. On selection of reverse the map or other view changes to the camera view. My camera (BC30) is mounted above the rear registration plate. The instructions and calibration were straightforward and I have found the unit to be very reliable. Just my experience of course and there is only about 5 metres if that, between antenna and receiver.

Cheers Clive:france:

jnn

Free Member
Oct 22, 2016
cheshire
Funster No
MH
van conversion trafic
Exp
nooby
I've just fitted a wired one to my van. A number plate holder with camera integrated, £20 from Amazon. Plugs into the stereo.

You certainly get what you pay for, first one went back, second one works but was mis wired, no video cable in the loom!

But with a bit of a bodge it does now work well, as of this evening. I've chosen to wire it to the number plate light rather than reversing light so that can use it as a rear view mirror whilst we get used to the van too.

Half way through fitting it I'd have happily swapped for a wireless one, the faff of feeding it through the rear door rubber doobry made my fingers ache! Chose wired for reliability though

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
I've just fitted a wired one to my van. A number plate holder with camera integrated, £20 from Amazon. Plugs into the stereo.

You certainly get what you pay for, first one went back, second one works but was mis wired, no video cable in the loom!

But with a bit of a bodge it does now work well, as of this evening. I've chosen to wire it to the number plate light rather than reversing light so that can use it as a rear view mirror whilst we get used to the van too.

Half way through fitting it I'd have happily swapped for a wireless one, the faff of feeding it through the rear door rubber doobry made my fingers ache! Chose wired for reliability though
Mine is wireless but I also wired to the number plate light. I wired the screen to the illumination feed for the stereo.

I get the odd crackle and fuzz at slow idle caused by the poor job I did of siting the receiver unit (not secured so vibrations wobble the wires) but other than that I get a brilliant clear picture.

The only mistake I made was choosing the same number plate fit type on a PVC... The camera is on the left hand door facing slightly to the kerb which does give me a good view but the alignment bars are totally misaligned.

jnn

Free Member
Oct 22, 2016
cheshire
Funster No
MH
van conversion trafic
Exp
nooby
yeah that's where mine is too (on a renault trafic) I think just a matter of getting used to it. Meant one less hole to drill as could just use the preexistent ones

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Last van I fitted a bullet camera by the number plate and ran the cables under the chassis but it was only any good for checking if there was someone or an obstacle behind the van so real sence of distance. You can't beat a high up mounted camera if you want to use it for reversing.
Current van I fitted a twin camera high up I can reverse up to within an inch or two of my garage door with confidence.
You can buy combined cables so still only need to run one cable through the van. You need to spend a while planing and investigating the route through the van, I spend days working out how to do it and it took me a whole day to run the cable through the van. You just need to take your time and you end up with a perfect job.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
"If" your considering using "less wires" (there is no such thing as no wires) you are going down the self install route, as I doubt with all the issues with a non cabled system's you'd get a professional installing one (unless you've bamboozled the dealer into "throwing one in as part of the deal" which is normally what they do LOL)

Dometic now do a WiFi system which sets up is own WiFi network so you will not pick up other people's baby monitors, reversing cameras or CCTV system ( a favourite in garages just when you need to reverse)

So the camera plugs into a WiFi unit you download an APP onto a phone or tablet and job done, no wiring under the dash or front to back if you don't fancy it

The system was launched successfully the Dussledorph and October NEC selling RRP at £299 but as a show offer of £199 (from memory)

A much better solution in my opinion

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
Last van I fitted a bullet camera by the number plate and ran the cables under the chassis but it was only any good for checking if there was someone or an obstacle behind the van so real sence of distance. You can't beat a high up mounted camera if you want to use it for reversing.
Current van I fitted a twin camera high up I can reverse up to within an inch or two of my garage door with confidence.
You can buy combined cables so still only need to run one cable through the van. You need to spend a while planing and investigating the route through the van, I spend days working out how to do it and it took me a whole day to run the cable through the van. You just need to take your time and you end up with a perfect job.

Should have fitted one to the front too Lenny.
:LOL::LOL::LOL:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back