Wireless reversing camera (1 Viewer)

ips

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Have always camped, caravaned or had boats. Now in our second year with the motorhome.
No window in the back of our bus so cant see a darned thing, been looking at wireless cameras around the £100 mark
are they any good ?
will they work ok ?
whats the smallest screen thats usable ?
any info , advice etc greatly appreciated.

ips

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Don't know much about wireless cameras, but know that I would not be without my camera, as like you don't have a rear window that I can use.
I have known people that have had wireless ones, and their seems a wide variety of opinions.

Dave:thumb:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Hi

Forget wireless, they suffer from interference , besides, you still need a 12v feed to the camera, so not much more work to run a wired system.
From my experience with cameras and screens, both LCD and CRT I would recommend a black and white system with a 5in CRT monitor , best for resolution and clarity ..

Jim

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

6pm Cowboy

Free Member
Jun 26, 2009
South Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
none ( yet )
Exp
0 - but I live in hope
cant help on the wireless bit but reversing cameras are certainly useful IMHO. We have one in the car and its great for parking or getting out of tight places.

As far as screen size goes i think this is probably a personal thing. Do you have a sat nav ? How is that screen size for you ?

OP
OP
ips

ips

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Have always camped, caravaned or had boats. Now in our second year with the motorhome.
Spose it cant be that difficult to run the wire underneath and up through the engine bay ?
May look into a hard wired version any reccomendations ?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Spose it cant be that difficult to run the wire underneath and up through the engine bay ?
May look into a hard wired version any reccomendations ?

Not too hard at all, I ran mine along the chassis rail and up through the bedroom wardrobe.... it may be easier in some vans to go through the internal lockers ..

Waeco get a good name .. Have a look the range on this site., much depends on your budget, you only do it once and a cheap system may disappoint.

Link Removed

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2009
South Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 in MH, 15 in Caravan
Hi ips

If it helps, I've got one of these...
Link Removed

I wired the power for the camera from the reversing light & the screen uses the cigar lighter socket in the cab. My 'van is 7.25m and I find the system great, even at night. True, its probably not the highest quality on a par with waeco, but it defintiely does the job...

I got mine (new) off e-bay for £85 from a company called attak-security, so keep an eye out...

Cheers

Steve

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
I have a wireless one and it work OK, reckon a wired one would be better but the wireless one was easiest.

OP
OP
ips

ips

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Thanks
What make model have you got (got a link)
ips

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Hi ips

If it helps, I've got one of these...
Link Removed

I wired the power for the camera from the reversing light & the screen uses the cigar lighter socket in the cab. My 'van is 7.25m and I find the system great, even at night. True, its probably not the highest quality on a par with waeco, but it defintiely does the job...

I got mine (new) off e-bay for £85 from a company called attak-security, so keep an eye out...

Cheers

Steve

Hi
as I said it really depends on budget, there are mixed reports from wireless systems and it would be a shame if Ips bought one and it wasn't any good.. but if yours is fine then it's worth looking at ..

Only comment about wiring the camera from the reversing light, I use mine all the time to watch the toad and see vehicles that are hidden from the side mirrors .. in saying that, I sometimes switch off at night as headlights make viewing nigh on impossible and the glare from the monitor is distracting ..

Jim..

OP
OP
ips

ips

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Jim
I too would want to be able to monitor whats going on before I engage reverse therefore camera needs permanent 12v so as you say got to wire it from somewere so may as well be a hard wired jobbie.
ips

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
We had a Waeco one fitted when we got the van, can't remember what we paid as we had a lot fitted at the time, it wasn't cheap but have been very happy with it in both day and night use. The screen is about 5in square. Mine has permanent live most usefull.

Hope this helps.

Dave:thumb:

Last edited:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Jim
I too would want to be able to monitor whats going on before I engage reverse therefore camera needs permanent 12v so as you say got to wire it from somewere so may as well be a hard wired jobbie.
ips

I agree, and you only need a feed to the monitor which can usually pick that up under the dash.. then run the camera cable through the engine bulk head and along the chassis..

I have run them though the roof lockers .. which was a lot of work .. but saved crawling under a dirty van..

Last one I did was on the RV .. messed about trying to get a good picture with the existing system but decide to cut my losses and fit new and rewire .. but I had a willing son to do the dirty work .. :roflmto:

OP
OP
ips

ips

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Should be pretty clean under there at the moment cos brand new, however I have a 16yr old daughter who would fit under there with a handfull of cable ties no problem, ::bigsmile:

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Bet she won't might break a nail.:Eeek::Eeek:

Dave

OP
OP
ips

ips

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp

M&L

Free Member
Jan 26, 2008
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
Exp
If you want to keep it simple then buy a wireless reversing kit from Maplin for around £80.

Fix the camera to the top of the number plate and wire it into the number plate light.
Try and feed the attena through the back of the van so it ends up inside somwhere.
Fit the screen with velcro to the dashboard and plug it into the ciggy socket.
When you want to use the camera turn on the sidelights.

Simple eh.

Mike

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
wireless is easy......hardwired is best:thumb:

wireless can pick up all kinds of spurious RF signals even from other vehicles near you.:Angry:

mines hard wired but i cant use the audio function as it picks up interference from the alternator.
picture is no problem normally but other vehicles can interfere with it in jams and overtaking etc...poor sparkplug suppression on their part mostly:Angry:

falcon

Free Member
Jun 20, 2009
Liverpool
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
rear view cam

I am new here and am still weighing up installing a cam on the rear. Like a previous correspondent I intend to leave the cam on for all round view at the back rather than working from the reversing light.

Wired is always guaranteed to provide a stable picture although if the van body has very little metal in it, a 2.4Ghz wireless system should be very adequate over a lenght of about 5-6m.

However rather than getting one to be fixed on the bumper (where wireless is at its worst by the way) I am seriously considering one of those relatively cheap security all weather cameras that Aldi or Maplins market from time to time.

I will probably set it with a high viewpoint near the roofline or clamp it on to the ladder at the back. My Satnav has an auxiliary input so it will feed straight into that and view it by switching manually when I do not need the satnav.

That should give the best all round view and of course it also provides a high viewpoint security window at night. Some of these cams have infrared lighting for night viewing of up to 9 m. Prices vary from £50 to £300.

Ability to remove it relatively easy is essential here, to be able to unplug and remove while away from the van. As I said, I have not decided but seriously considering so if anybody is considering something similar would like to discuss further.

bazfergy

Free Member
Apr 20, 2009
dumfries scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
5 years
I had a wireless reversing camera in my last van cost just under £100 but the picture was pretty crap,just use reversing sensors in my new van a lot cheaper and does the job fine:thumb:

OP
OP
ips

ips

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
If you want to keep it simple then buy a wireless reversing kit from Maplin for around £80.

Fix the camera to the top of the number plate and wire it into the number plate light.
Try and feed the attena through the back of the van so it ends up inside somwhere.
Fit the screen with velcro to the dashboard and plug it into the ciggy socket.
When you want to use the camera turn on the sidelights.

Simple eh.

Mike

Wiring to side lights is a good idea, I never thought about that. Thanks. Maplins selling wireless for £59 might be worth tryeing it for that money.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I had a wireless camera on my last van It was OK but did suffer some interference sometimes. In a few places in France I picked up TV on it.

I suppose the problem is that they use the same frequencies as cordless phones, TV and video repeaters etc so interference is inevitable on occassion. They are a lot easier to fit though. I just wired my camera into a convenient 12v connection at the back of the van (it was actually the lights over the hob) with a switch as it is useful to have on all the time when driving to see the mini tailgating you which would otherwise be in your blind spot.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back