Wireless 500gb hard drive for iPad, iPhone, iTouch

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Swift, Jul 23, 2011.

1. Swift

Swift

For gadget geeks:

(it uses a dedicated App on the Apple device)

What has upset me slightly is that while waiting for stock of the 64gb ipad2 (which i now have) a new external wireless free 500gb hard drive has been launched, had i know about that when I placed the order for the 64gb I would not have bothered. The new hard drive is to be launched in the US in a couple of weeks time and will arrive in the UK later in the year, I did however manage to buy one on the US Amazon site a few weeks ago on a pre order basis, it was shown that it will arrive second week or so of July in time for the summer holidays. With the wireless hard drive, it has an internal battery that lasts 4 hours or so, my intention is to leave it plugged into a 12v socket wherever or whatever mode of transport I am in, this will then offer via wifi 500gb of films, photo's or whatever is on it, hence no need for major storage space on the ipad. It is made to link to the iphones, ipad e.t.c. will also be useful in the house or wherever playing films directly to your TV.

Cost on Amazon US site $199, for info they offer basic shipping for $10 (10-20days or so), I opted for the 2 day express international shipping to ensure I have it for the summer holidays with the kids, that cost $35.97, I also opted for the pre paid duty/import & tax option where they settle that for you in advance, this cost $47.19. So total was $283.15 (£177 ish). Now considering that Apple charge you £80 for 32gb more hard disc space, 500gb for £177 is a bargain, plus it has loads of other uses. I do hope someone finds this interesting after all that typing

This hard drive needs NO DONGLE or SIM card, it sends out the wifi signal itself to objects in range, so no internet connection required at all!

Here is a link for full details: http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/products/...-satellite**

2. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

So, if I understand correctly.. you have an iPad and you want to add an external 500g wireless drive .. do you also have a wireless keyboard and a stand for the iPad ?

Call me old fashioned but is it not simpler just to use a Macbook or any other lappy with it all built in .. and at a fraction of the cost ?

I love my Mac, have several now, but I have no need for an iPad .. however, I do appreciate it would be useful if you are on the road every day, especially using public transport .. but to my way of thinking if you are going to lug a hard drive, albeit wireless, kind of defeats the iPads intended purpose.

3. Swift

Swift

No, the hard drive can be accessed by 3 different devices at once all viewing different things, so with the grand children in the boat, motorhome, car or wherever, they can all view a selection of films that I have loaded on, they all have their own iPads and iphones, so no problems :thumb:

What it does do is save you giving Apple an extra £80 for an additional 16gb of hard drive (difference between 16gb & 32gb version), so I have the 64gb and the kids have 16gb ones, a film takes about 800mb plus or minus the odd 100mb :Wink:

I hold a lot of marine charts and maps on mine that uses a lot of space so handy to have it backed up on teh hard drive for access by my iphone or other iPads it is not loaded onto.

You can't compare an ipad to a laptop, they are two different animals, I have a very expensive half size laptop that cost me £1,799 it hasn't been out of the case since I had the iPad, I use either iPad or Desktop now!