Winterization confusion

Discussion in 'CI Motorhomes' started by igcw9170, Sep 26, 2010.

1. igcw9170

igcw9170 Read Only Funster

Hi,:Smile:
    I was hoping to get some clarification, ive got a 2006 Ci Riviera 181 and am thinking over the possibility of taking it skiing in france. I have previously been told that my van is fully winterized, but I dont know exactly what this means or whether it is actually correct. After reading articles that suggest attempting to take a motorhome that is not fully winterized up the alps in winter is tantamount to suicide for the vehicle and quite possibly the occupants, I was hoping someone could confirm or refute the claim that my van is fully winterized and if not if anything can be done to make it such?

thanks.

2. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Hi

I don't know your van so can only give general advice..

Where do the fresh water and waste pipes run, is your fresh tank inside or underslung ?

If pipes are outside look to re routing inside, if the fresh tank is underslung you need to consider insulating and installing a 230v tank heater element or jacket.

I've copied this from another site, some good tips and advice ..

More tips and advice http://www.practicalmotorhome.com/features/winterizing.html

3. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

hi, you may want to try www.motorhomeski.com
    We regularly ski from our motorhome with great results. We used to have a CI similar to yours and you may need to carry out a few adjustments as some of the pipe work from the waste tank is outside and will freeze. You could lag it or better still, nip down to your local tropical fish store and get a water heater as well. The tank is under the diner seats so internal and should be fine.

The insulation on the CIs are really good with a good thickness level that you won't beat on some better quality vans so you should be warm and cosy. I would reccomend a generator and a gaslow (type) system to enhance your fun will go down well.

From memory there is a truama gas fire type heater in your van which will serve you well. It is however quite a simple thing to do. You can always remember that if you freeze up you can still survive by using fresh bottle water, use a swimming pool for a wash and still be fine, you could even opt to go lower down to unfreeze and then come back up, but thats not our favourite method.

We go at Christmas and February half term and probabaly easter as well next year. We have a few interested parties wanting to join us so might even get something together in order to help some newbies.

So do your research and enjoy it, it truly is great fun.

4. Terry and Nicola

Terry and Nicola Read Only Funster

HI

HI Paul
    count us in on a funster winter ski trip :thumb: