Winterising your motorhome/caravan (1 Viewer)

Ash

Trader - Service & Repairs
LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2007
Chapel st Leonard's. Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Here are a few tips on winterising your Motorhome / Caravan before you pack away for the winter months :thumb:

It doesn’t matter whether your caravan/motorhome is at home, on a site or in storage over the winter months, you must still ensure it’s properly prepared to protect it from the elements

If you’re not planning to use your Caravan / Motorhome over winter, taking some time now to carry out a series of measures will mean opening the door for the first time in the spring shouldn’t present you with any nasty surprises such as an invasion of rodents or a widespread damp problem.

Also, start making a list of in-Caravan/Motorhome items you’ll want to bring home with you. These could include clothing, bedding, towelling, curtains and electrical items and keeping them at home will prevent them from getting damaged if a problem does arise.

There are ways in which you can minimise the risk of condensation and dampness causing damage to your Caravan/Motorhome and any belongings left behind.

Bowls of salt left dotted around the place will absorb dampness as will dehumidifying crystals, which are available from DIY shops. Stacking upholstery in the middle of the lounge area will also protect them from the damp.

Frozen water in pipes is also a potential danger so before leaving your ‘van for winter drain the system down by turning off the water system and opening all the taps remove shower head,Leave the fridge door open and any cupboard or wardrobe door to prevent them from smelling musty and attracting damp and check that fixed ventilation points are not obstructed.

Drain the cassette toilet (the drain point is normally inside the external door) and use plugs to block the sink and keep the toilet lid closed to ensure any unwanted rodent visitors from gaining entry. If the toilet/graywaste has been drained consider stuffing the u-bend with newspaper as an extra preventative measure.

Before doing anything to prepare your Caravan/Motorhome, it might be worth booking it in for its annual service during the winter as whoever will carry out the work is likely to be less busy.

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09
Thank you for the advice Ash... us newbies are not aware of some things that are needed to store the m/h safely for our winters

Kath

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
an ultrasonic rodent deterent is also a good idea, round about now the field mice start looking for a cosy winter billet, and once in are a pain to get rid of. They are available in both mains and battery flavours.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
an ultrasonic rodent deterent is also a good idea, round about now the field mice start looking for a cosy winter billet, and once in are a pain to get rid of. They are available in both mains and battery flavours.

Roger, anyone, can you recomend a battery, ie put batteries in not something to connect to the house batteries type one of these that works? I did read about some somewhere but in grand tradition (age) I've forgotten where and what:Doh:

Best thing......use it thru the winter

Yup, best policy, though that damned work buggers up full pleasure:ROFLMAO:

In combination of both the above, we we're in the van alot up to and over Xmas/New Years last and still had a visitor, mind you they didn't stay, just left a few deposits under the kitchen sink and left, and I can't for the life of me find how the %^* got in:Angry:

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
Mice - if there's a hole big enough for a pencil to fit, then a mouse can get in.

We had fieldmice in our kitchen just after we moved in here. We found the hole and cemented it up but then had to get rid of those already in. :Sad:

Jen scoured Coventry for humane mousetraps, which we baited with chocolate buttons (Cadbury's of course!) and duly caught one, which I walked over the road and let into a field, two which I walked up the road and let into a different field, three which I walked all the way round the corner and let go into yet another field. :Doh:

Then next night we were doing the washing up and one ran along the back of the sink unit and up the mixer tap where it sat washing its whiskers and looking at us! So sweet! :ROFLMAO:

Herself said, that's just taking the p, that is! and authorised me to utilise the Little Nipper. Afraid I did. And we have several always baited in the garage for the same reason. I can't check all the things with wiring all the while, it's not possible, nor is it poss to seal the garage LOL

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Roger, anyone, can you recomend a battery, ie put batteries in not something to connect to the house batteries type one of these that works? I did read about some somewhere but in grand tradition (age) I've forgotten where and what:Doh:
remind me at shepton and I'll have a look at mine for a name.

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
an ultrasonic rodent deterent is also a good idea, round about now the field mice start looking for a cosy winter billet, and once in are a pain to get rid of. They are available in both mains and battery flavours.[/QUOTE]

What, field mice available in mains or battery versions?

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
We have learnt the hard way to remove the Crystal filter now.

On 2 occasions, we have had the Crystal filter "blow" on us as when you drain down, some water remains in the filter, freezes and blows the thing apart, when you fill up again in Spring and turn on the pump, the water sprays all over the place as the pump has no back pressure to switch it off.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
an ultrasonic rodent deterent is also a good idea, round about now the field mice start looking for a cosy winter billet, and once in are a pain to get rid of. They are available in both mains and battery flavours.[/QUOTE]

What, field mice available in mains or battery versions?
the battery powered mice are much less of a problem to deal with, just remove replacement batteries to a safe distance.

another thought unrelated is the Fridge, remember to empty it (and the ice box)and wash out with bicarbonate of Soda, then leave the door propped WIDE open. Wash with bicarb again before use in the spring.

Clean and empty waste tanks, remember to empty your waste bin and remove any packet foods that could attract mice. Remove all drinks indoors within reach of a glass, hee hee.

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Ours is a fully winterized MH.
We did use her over last Winter , as we bought her in November , even in the very cold snowy - temps. The only thing that stopped us going out more often , was the MH not being a 4x4 :winky:
Why doesn't someone do one that is, or do they ?
We shall hopefully be doing the same this year too.
Aviemore , Boxing Day into the New Year , for the main trip .

But Ash ,
as we keep ours in storage and only use it most weekends, its left on its lonesome mid week. Without being on hook up.
Are things , such as stacking the cushions , putting in plugs , taking off shower head , salt dishes , damp bags, still worth doing? It wouldn't take much time to do .
Or is it more for just when MH's are left for long periods?
Anything to protect our MH.

BTW, someone mentioned , on a post , the tow hook bar at the front under the radiator , going rusty and rotting.
And to check yours, was it you ? I cant find it now:Doh:
Ralph's checked ours and although its not like the one in the pic :whatthe:
It could do with brushing n painting. Could you tell us how much they are to replace though please?
Thanks.
Bev

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
We've had mice in the van in the past and they do a lot of damage.

I find ordinary mousetraps work well baited with Nutella. The humane ones aren't so humane if you don't visit for several days and the beasties starve to death.:whatthe:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Always wondered if my van is winterised as it is an Italian jobby and they are not exactly well known for building such beasts... But yesterday I was adding an extra antenna line so had to drill through the floor..

One layer.. then 2" of expanded 'styrene, then another layer, then a plastic membrane, then another layer..
The waste tank is wrapped and there are heaters in / on it ( no idea where but the panel allows me to switch them on and the voltage drops .1v more or less as soon as the switch is hit )
Sooooooooooooooooooo.............. I think I have got my answer !

No wonder it is still so warm in mid winter :thumb:

BobProperty

Free Member
May 20, 2010
Stockport
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2010
... But yesterday I was adding an extra antenna line so had to drill through the floor..

One layer.. then 2" of expanded 'styrene, then another layer, then a plastic membrane, then another layer..
You sure you haven't just drilled through the tank? :ROFLMAO:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
LOL !!
I do have some long drill bits but not THAT long !! :ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
Ash

Ash

Trader - Service & Repairs
LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2007
Chapel st Leonard's. Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Ours is a fully winterized MH.
We did use her over last Winter , as we bought her in November , even in the very cold snowy - temps. The only thing that stopped us going out more often , was the MH not being a 4x4 :winky:
Why doesn't someone do one that is, or do they ?
We shall hopefully be doing the same this year too.
Aviemore , Boxing Day into the New Year , for the main trip .

But Ash ,
as we keep ours in storage and only use it most weekends, its left on its lonesome mid week. Without being on hook up.
Are things , such as stacking the cushions , putting in plugs , taking off shower head , salt dishes , damp bags, still worth doing? It wouldn't take much time to do .
Or is it more for just when MH's are left for long periods?
Anything to protect our MH.

BTW, someone mentioned , on a post , the tow hook bar at the front under the radiator , going rusty and rotting.
And to check yours, was it you ? I cant find it now:Doh:
Ralph's checked ours and although its not like the one in the pic :whatthe:
It could do with brushing n painting. Could you tell us how much they are to replace though please?
Thanks.
Bev

Hiya if you use your motorhome in the winter it will be ok to leave cushions where they are , just make sure you drain down and leave taps open just incase of any frosts . Open all your cupboards for ventilation.:thumb:
Ash ..

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Winterising your motorhome

Hi, Thanks for all the usefull info.
I am lucky to be able to prk my van on the front, and hope to use it most weekends over the winter, as long as I can find somwhere to go:roflmto:
It has a double floor, and the fresh water tank and heater are both under the fixed bed.

I was thinking of putting it on hook up with the blown heating set to low with all the blinds closed and external silver screen.

Should I still drain down and leave taps open?

If anything happened, i'd be gutted:cry:

btw, bought sonic mouse deterrent as mentioned earlier

S.

Lynn ( Mrs Ash )

Free Member
Aug 16, 2010
(The Midlands) Nuneaton
Funster No
MH
A-Class Frankia 640 Exclu
Exp
9 yrs
Hi Sue , we still use our van most weekends too so we dont drain down , as last night forcast was -4 i turned hot water on and heating on to no 2 I also turned the pump off and opened the taps , however if it was colder or we suddenly had a down pour of snow i would drain down but still leave the heating on low and open all the cupboards to help with ventalation , we are like you our van is on our drive so we can take each day as it comes :Smile:

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Will your knowledge be put to the test in VT this year Steve?::bigsmile:

Traveller_HA5_3DOM

Free Member
Jul 13, 2012
Following the Sun
Funster No
MH
Hobby Premium 65GE
Exp
since 1985
I think it is worth setting the tap levers midway between hot and cold with the tap fully open. They also really need a means of blowing the small quantity of water out of the taps and pump but I just haven't found the right thing to do the job yet. May try one of those things that pumps up air beds. I'am sure there is one somewhere in one of those 'useful boxes' in the garage.:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back