Winterising the Van FULLY (1 Viewer)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Ok, so the final piece of the jigsaw arrived this morning.

Incidently, I got it from Argos of all places, on sale at just £150, not a caravan dealer in the world offering me that price. :thumb:

The new Fiamma Coverglas XXL cover is ideal for winter use as it completely covers the engine compartment. Made of insulated material that performs extremely well at low temperatures. Composed of 2 detachable parts. The upper part covers all the windows of the motorhome cabin (it is possible to uncover the windshield without unmounting the Coverglas), while the lower section, which attaches with Velcro, covers the engine compartment completely. Excellent for winter use. Suitable for Fiat Ducato after 06/2006.

Specification:

Ideal for winter use.
Protects the engine.
Fitting: Fiat Ducato after 06/2006.
Colour: Polar white.
Could you not just buy a bloody big one and cover the whole van ? :thumb::ROFLMAO:

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Did just find this but not sure if it would work any thoughts?

[ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/In-Line-Bilge-Blower-12v-Electric-Blower/dp/B004TKXNP6/ref=sr_1_19?s=sports&ie=UTF8&qid=1358268309&sr=1-19"]4" In-Line Boat Bilge Blower-12v Electric Turbo Blower: Amazon.co.uk: Sports & Outdoors[/ame]

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Ok, so moving on a bit then,

I have now added another outlet off the heating in to the van. Was quite a tougher job than I anticipated due to the location. But I have managed to do so. My initial plan was too then add in an Inline blower called an activent, but TBH the run to that outlet is not that long and it pumps out loads of heat. I can't actually get to show you the position it takes when the seat is fully swivelled but basically it blows to the left of the seat so will help keep the cab of the van warm...

Hi Paul just noticed this and found it interesting but can't find out about it on a web search can you help do you have a link?? Our van is lovelly and warm as you know from last year at VT but if there is one fault its with the boiler at the back of the van the rear is always warmer than the front. Even closing the garage vent still does'nt get much extra flow to the very front. Anything that might increase flow to the front would be of interest.:thumb:
Hi Ror, My RMB has the Truma secondary blower in line with one of the pipes under the couch. My FFB also had this factory fitted. It does make a difference and helps circulate warm air all around the van. Am not really sure what the correct name for it is without going out to the van and looking, but I think its called an activent. I normally allow the heater to get up to temperature and then switch the secondary fan on, turning the heater down at the same time. If you cannot buy one am sure one could easily be made from a computer fan as already suggested.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007

looking at the air flow it might have a detrimental effect on the rest of the system and at 2 amps is quite a beastie

ive got one of these left over from adding one in the fridge vents for aiding cooling in warmer climes (how ironic on this thread!!) and it runs at 0.07ah

it will be manually switched until the airflow is good in the one run that i have a problem with, (goes all the way round the van!) ive worked out that if i close all the other vents and let that run get upto temperature then it works OK afterwards- thermodynamics and all that - so having a switched fan should be a lot easier!!

Think ill be tinkering this weekend!!

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Be interested to see how you get on, may have to run up and have a look if it works, can't beat nicking someone elses ideas.:thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
[/B]
That would do the job Rory.
we have fitted a few in the course of work in bathrooms and found if the duct run is around 15ft the outside louvre vent barely moves so the actual pressure isnt too high for a shorter run, as in a motorhome.
consumption on that version is reasonable at just 2.7amps but can be a little noisy if not rubber mounted...we mounted directly to ceiling joists so the vibration was amplified somewhat.

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
Ok, so the final piece of the jigsaw arrived this morning.

Here it is in its full glory.....

Made by fiama, and TBH, I was going to get the taylormade one but this looks great quality ,this should help keep all the cab nice and warm....
The sides of the van have skirts, and then the back will have a snow wall.

I now know there's a book open on whether we will freeze to death or not, being that we are in a British van and all that.
But Im quietly confident that everythings covered.

going to use it underneath the normal blinds too and going to give it a test when Im on the isle of Anglessey running the Ultra Trail run at the weekend...:thumb:

Incidently, I got it from Argos of all places, on sale at just £150, not a caravan dealer in the world offering me that price. :thumb:

The new Fiamma Coverglas XXL cover is ideal for winter use as it completely covers the engine compartment. Made of insulated material that performs extremely well at low temperatures. Composed of 2 detachable parts. The upper part covers all the windows of the motorhome cabin (it is possible to uncover the windshield without unmounting the Coverglas), while the lower section, which attaches with Velcro, covers the engine compartment completely. Excellent for winter use. Suitable for Fiat Ducato after 06/2006.

Specification:

Ideal for winter use.
Protects the engine.
Fitting: Fiat Ducato after 06/2006.
Colour: Polar white.

i wonder if our friendly Johns Cross could have done it cheaper :Doh:

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
i wonder if our friendly Johns Cross could have done it cheaper :Doh:

no he couldn't, not even with 20% funster discount.

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
Just found this of one that was retro fitted even got some pics. Shame about the cost but looks good.

http://www.motorhometoday.co.uk/index.php?/topic/3683-heater-fan-and-ducting-question/

This is the one I highlighted in my earlier post Rory.
It is about £75 reasonably easy to fit. However I thought it was just a bit too dear.

The one you highlight looks good although I need to investigate it.

The idea from the Bung? it won't work, well not with any great effect any way, unless he builds something.

Not because Daryl is doing it, but that is possible :winky:

Basicaly the truma kiddie does two things, Firstly, it sucks and then it blows, so its a combination of fans, one to suck in heat, the other to Kick heat out.
Daryls idea wont work because it will prevent air flow, not create it. It will see little improvement.
How do I know this?

Ride up to my house and I can show one I made earlier :winky:

too do that you need two fans, one to suck the hot aire in, the other, to blow it out....:thumb:

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
This is the one I highlighted in my earlier post Rory.
It is about £75 reasonably easy to fit. However I thought it was just a bit too dear.

The one you highlight looks good although I need to investigate it.

The idea from the Bung? it won't work, well not with any great effect any way, unless he builds something.

[HI]Not because Daryl is doing it, but that is possible :winky:[/HI]

Basicaly the truma kiddie does two things, Firstly, it sucks and then it blows, so its a combination of fans, one to suck in heat, the other to Kick heat out.
Daryls idea wont work because it will prevent air flow, not create it. It will see little improvement.
How do I know this?

Ride up to my house and I can show one I made earlier :winky:

too do that you need two fans, one to suck the hot aire in, the other, to blow it out....:thumb:

at least i can measure twice and cut once:Tongue1:

anyhar - the fans... Like i said earlier on, once this one run is warmed up it works just fine, so my aim is to assist the air flow by drawing the air through the long 4.5m run (only one that is over 3m BTW as the heater is middle ish) without impacting the other runs, rather than having it blasting out, and without having to go round and close all the other vents to sort just one out and then open them all again.

So i reccon my small fan will work nicely for that ::bigsmile: - the fan is only a 80mm one but does move 25.4 CFM (43.1 m3/h) of air so should do what i need - and it was only £5

Guess it depends on the heater as well, ours is a truma combi 6eh, and it blasts out of all the other vents already, bar this one - but this one run runs around the water tanks and all the plumbing so id rather it was more effective than it is...just to be safe...and cause i can:roflmto:

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
out of curiosity...if there is more than one run going forward i.e.. one down each side of the van and they run off separate outlets on the heater - would you not need 2 of these truma things - one per run?

Baring in mind the aim is to improve the balance of the system better than it was or the problem will just move somewhere else in the van on another run? assuming the heater has more than one outlet like ours which has 4

Last edited:

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
I suppose the big difference is my boiler is 6.5 mtrs back from the front. The van is warm up to about 4 mtrs but the last 2.5 can get very cold especially as this is the cab area and has that huge A class screen. In normal conditions its not normally a problem because the vans so well insulated. However we do use the van all year and when skiing and camped at altitude with no EHU it can be difficult to get the front warm atall. I'm sure it does need to suck and blow to get any decent blast to the front need to keep investigating.

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
out of curiosity...if there is more than one run going forward i.e.. one down each side of the van and they run off separate outlets on the heater - would you not need 2 of these truma things - one per run?

Baring in mind the aim is to improve the balance of the system better than it was or the problem will just move somewhere else in the van on another run? assuming the heater has more than one outlet like ours which has 4

No mine is great down one side but on the longer run it ends up weak at the end. The system blows out evenly in too the two, its just one is a smidge too far. Adding an activent will just suck it and get it there quicker

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
I suppose the big difference is my boiler is 6.5 mtrs back from the front. The van is warm up to about 4 mtrs but the last 2.5 can get very cold especially as this is the cab area and has that huge A class screen. In normal conditions its not normally a problem because the vans so well insulated. However we do use the van all year and when skiing and camped at altitude with no EHU it can be difficult to get the front warm atall. I'm sure it does need to suck and blow to get any decent blast to the front need to keep investigating.
Yeah. Different challenges, thats solved that one then

Could also be that its not got enough air coming into it, not sure if yours has a filter but might be worth a try

What model is it btw

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
No mine is great down one side but on the longer run it ends up weak at the end. The system blows out evenly in too the two, its just one is a smidge too far. Adding an activent will just suck it and get it there quicker

Good old converters eh, not designing to spec and balancing it all out...granted not always possible but its quite a common complaint i think.

Ok...another question...your fault youve got me thinking now

Theoretically....Is it possible that these things could up your gas consumption?

What i mean is, if the truma is pulling the air out at a higher rate than the heater is designed to heat it could it not force the heater into over compensating especially one like ours which automatically regulates the output air flow inline with the heated temperature of the air?

Granted the room thermostat should control some of this and in rorys case the opposite might even be true if the thermostat is up front in the colder bit

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
hmmm the stupid prat that designed my german motorhome decided to put the heater controls with an internal temp sensor directly above the kitchen work top so if the oven or burners are on the heating shuts down as it sees that its warmer than its set at:Doh::Doh:

when i get hold of an aux temp sensor its going up front just behind the cab then it should balance out ok.

funny how you only notice these things in the midst of winter isn't it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
Well, we have completed phase 1..
Temps dropping to -4 and we were snug as a bug. No frozen water, with the tank heater on. cab area much warmer, waste ok, and I even had a shower. I know it's not as cold as to be expected up the mountain, but its a start.

Click on the link below to see the pictures. :thumb:

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
Great pics

Some great winter pictures there Paul.:thumb:

::bigsmile:I suppose I am a little bit bias though.:winky:

DesRes

Free Member
Apr 21, 2012
West Lancs
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 1990 ish...
Terrific set of Photos Paul. I have been to Angelsey many, many times and never seen it like that! Are you there until the thaw now?
How was the event? Do we get a report over on the Running Club thread?:thumb:

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
Click on the link below to see the pictures. :thumb:

And there was I, feeling good about walking into Devizes from the C&CC site yesterday, along the snowy canal towpath. Thanks a bunch! ::bigsmile:

You still parked up in that snowdrift? BBC weather forecast predicts a few more flakes heading towards Anglesey...

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
Terrific set of Photos Paul. I have been to Angelsey many, many times and never seen it like that! Are you there until the thaw now?
How was the event? Do we get a report over on the Running Club thread?:thumb:

No we managed to get home OK.

It's amazing what you can do with a bit of experience. The road down was awful, a few Jackknifed lorries etc due to the snow. However, we kept going, only ever getting stuck at the access to the camp site. However, having had a bit of a doo in dreadful conditions up to Dover 5 years back on route to a ski trip, we always keep some fresh rock salt with us. A quick sprinkle on the tyres and a little up the path of the CL and we were on out way in to the Pen-y-llyn camp site. A super CL BTW with a really nice couple that own it and gave me a lift to the start of the race.

Des, the event was actually cancelled due to the snow. They could not apparantly take the risk because of the conditions. However, being as about 20 of us had braved the conditons to get there, and the race only being called off at 8pm the night before, we went on an improptu 7.2 mile run through the mountains. Boy, tough is not the word, cold and snow up to my waste at some points, it took me about 1hr45 to complete. Bearing in mind that a normal 10k for me is heading under the 50 min mark, it gives you some idea of how tough this was. My Calves are burning this morning so bad.... But alas we are home, having been to Llandudno for some lunch. :thumb:

few more jobs on the van and we are ready for the slopes. :thumb::thumb:

DesRes

Free Member
Apr 21, 2012
West Lancs
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 1990 ish...
Sounds like an extreme weekend all in all. Well done with dealing with it but your van mods appear to have been well tested.:thumb:

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
Success

Ok, so I know some were keeping a book and thought the first thing I ought to do having fallen in through the door shoul dbe update and let you all know how it went.

We were away for ten days in total and took in two resorts.

The worst temps endured were overnight and came in at -22.

On arrival at VT the boys built me a snow wall around the van to keep the wind out. My fresh water was fine and the heater was switched on to ensure it didn't freeze. This worked a treat and it was a much improved scenario than last year as it meant we had water.

The waste water did not freeze all the time we were at VT and drained constantly in to a bucket without any problems. This meant we were able to shower and use the sinks in the van.... So clearly all the insulation on the pipes worked well and prevented any freezing. The best move was obviously to remove the waste traps as this meant water flowed straight in to the waste tank and then out through the bucket. :thumb:

We moved on from VT and headed off to Switzerland for a bit more skiing. When there the temps were -10 - -25 at night.

We had a very small problem with the waste freezing on the bathroom sink, although the shower and kitchen wastes held firm. I will have to have a little look as to how that happened, maybe I missed a little piece somewhere.

The fresh water also froze but only due to me experimenting and turning the defrost element off. :Doh: soon as it was back on and a little help from a hairdryer and we were back in business.

The cab cover that we bought worked fantastic in cutting out most if not all cab drafts. Prevented us from freezing in the cab area and along with a bit of heat from the new heating outlet I put in it was toasty warm..

Although daytime temps were very nice at 2300m at VT I am more than happy with the results of the test and believe the mission to turn a British Built alleged fully winterised van in to a German equivilent has worked well.

A few little bits to do for next year to improve further, with the boys being older and one not coming next year, me being too lazy to build a snow wall, I may fit a fiamma skirt all the way round to prevent wind under the van.

I may also look at again tackling the waste pipes and fit some form of heater cable around them all. Only this time I will remove the rear wheels so I can get to it all properly...

I (we) did consider just buying an A class Rapido/hymer but TBH, we love our layout and our van so much we really don't want to.

We only used 1 1/2 bottles of gas (13k) all week, our least ever in 8 years, so we must be starting to get it right :winky:

Happy skiing/winter touring folks. :thumb:

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
success

Great thread to read :)
Well done Haggers !

S:Cool:

Tude

Free Member
Jan 29, 2012
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Winterising

Hi one thing I did with the kontiki 665p was remove all the water traps from the outside as these freeze up.then I bought the waste traps from cak tanks and put them on the inside very easy job.exept for the shower just leave that one off.also while I'm on here ivevgot 2 very good carpet sets for your van if it's the 2007 model onwards.one set is the thicker pile make me an offer if you like

Tude

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
Hi one thing I did with the kontiki 665p was remove all the water traps from the outside as these freeze up.then I bought the waste traps from cak tanks and put them on the inside very easy job.exept for the shower just leave that one off.also while I'm on here ivevgot 2 very good carpet sets for your van if it's the 2007 model onwards.one set is the thicker pile make me an offer if you like

Tude

Tude, if you read my thread you will see I also took the traps off. However, I wanted to not just use a bucket under the shower as I wanted to sort it properly as we like to move about in the cold..
Not actually bothered fitting internal traps, thought I would see how it goes, 4 months on and no smells or anything.

I already have 2 sets of carpets courtersy of CLS's loft. :winky:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
bump as new members looking for this info