Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Ever thought of sump/tank heating pads?

These are used for keeping things flowing in arctic conditions (a bit like VT)!::bigsmile:

Link Removed

-Just a Christmas present idea for the Funster who already owns every heating/insulation product available!::bigsmile:

Im all over it like a bad rash, where's me credit card:whatthe:

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
Ever thought of sump/tank heating pads?

These are used for keeping things flowing in arctic conditions (a bit like VT)!::bigsmile:

Link Removed

-Just a Christmas present idea for the Funster who already owns every heating/insulation product available!::bigsmile:

that will keep your engine oil nice and thin in the cold and make starting a little easier.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
If anyone is going to Madrid you can get an Eberspacher here:

Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

spannermanwigan

Free Member
May 22, 2008
wigan, lancs
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 1973
Ok so got around to finishing it today.

I removed the trap's and refitted straight through Pipe. All was then re-lagged and ready to go. The fall within the pipework is sufficient as to ensure the water should run in to the waste tank on a freezing day and not leave any water about.

Clearly there is an issue with the waste trap, this is designed to hold water and obviously will freeze. On my continental vans, the traps were inside.

Quite fidlly doing the kitchen one but all works now. All I need now is to wait till February, to see if I can shower in the van in -25 outside.

Sorry to have something negative to say, but I hope it helps.
The foam insulation appears to be of the type for lagging internal
household pipes. It is not suitable for external use, as it absorbs water
(road spray/rain) once wet it will freeze like a block of ice and your pipes
will be running through a homemade ice pack and freeze faster, at the
very least it needs some kind of waterproof sealed jacket.
regards
Steve

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
regards
Steve

as with external pipes in houses etc cover with foam insulation and whilst its still clean and dry cover with duct tape to seal out water

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
regards
Steve

You are of course right to point that out Steve. Next break I get,the foam is covered with black polythene bags and sealed with silver tape to prevent any water ingress. :thumb:

The lagging I removed from last year was covered, (see my Blog) but this year I simply have not yet done it. :thumb:

spannermanwigan

Free Member
May 22, 2008
wigan, lancs
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 1973
You are of course right to point that out Steve. Next break I get,the foam is covered with black polythene bags and sealed with silver tape to prevent any water ingress. :thumb:

The lagging I removed from last year was covered, (see my Blog) but this year I simply have not yet done it. :thumb:

this tape is the bees knees sticks to anything clean expensive but good.
Link Removed
sure you could find it cheaper loads of it on e bay
regards
steve

Last edited:
OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
Ok so the work continues.

I have today finished the lagging work by doing as stated and covering with bags and then wrapping with duct tape. I have also completely lagged my water tank. I have done this by using fire retardent polythene balls to fill in the gaps between the two floors where the tank is housed. I have then used some fire retardent pillow stuffing for that little bit extra. when its all pushed in to place, you don't see it.

I now have to get back under the van one more time to lagg the base of the floor with some bubble wrap, (i think thats what I will use.)

And then, the water should not freeze, it has a heater in the tank, sufficient insulation and job done. Why didn't swift think of that when they made it? :Blush:

Any comments, good or constructive welcome, Im not an engineer. :thumb:

Attachments

• 20121030_125407.jpg
    20121030_125407.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 127
  • 20121030_125411.jpg
    20121030_125411.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 118
  • 20121101_092524.jpg
    20121101_092524.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 119
  • 20121101_093724.jpg
    20121101_093724.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 121

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
you will be finding those little polly balls for years as they get everywhere :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
you will be finding those little polly balls for years as they get everywhere :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Your not wrong, alhtough they are of course all boxed in, I used a hair dryer to get them where I wanted them to go.... However a few flew out and I have just found some in my poicket :Cool:

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
I noticed on our van we have a similar system. Had me quite bemused at first, as the water comes out of the tank hot, but cools on it's way to the tap. There must be a cooler manifold somewhere, as the hot stays hot (unless you turn the tap off for a few moments)

Simple but effective, and UK vans should have them!

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
well done for trying not read the earlier posts yet so I may have missed it. Insulation will only delay the inevitable it will also stop any external heat source from the van raising the temperature of the water. what is needed are tank heaters, like fish tank heaters and that requires either an EHU or plenty of solar / wind generator and a decent battery bank. Nature will find a way to balance temperatures no matter what insulation is applied.
It is the underneath that requires insulating not the top of the tank which could benefit from the higher internal temp of the van. Especially if you don't have tank heaters. our van is well insulated (foam sandwich construction), yet with out heating water in bottles on the worktops will freeze when that happens I know its time to dump the water tank/heater both of which are double insulated and inside of the van contents. The cassette has never frozen maybe urine is like antifreeze who knows. OK queue for some smart arse to come up with the freezing point of urine.
ps and apparently not read the last one properly as now see you have tank heaters well done.
Well having read the rest of the thread it seems you have done a great job. One tip no one has mentioned for insulating awkward corners etc is expanding foam. Excellent stuff, but again cover with a membrane if outside.

Last edited:

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
. The cassette has never frozen maybe urine is like antifreeze who knows. OK queue for some smart arse to come up with the freezing point of urine.

I dont know the freezing piont of urine but I suspect it is higher in tetotalers than most funsters, I wonder why?

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
well done for trying not read the earlier posts yet so I may have missed it. Insulation will only delay the inevitable it will also stop any external heat source from the van raising the temperature of the water. what is needed are tank heaters, like fish tank heaters and that requires either an EHU or plenty of solar / wind generator and a decent battery bank. Nature will find a way to balance temperatures no matter what insulation is applied.
It is the underneath that requires insulating not the top of the tank which could benefit from the higher internal temp of the van. Especially if you don't have tank heaters. our van is well insulated (foam sandwich construction), yet with out heating water in bottles on the worktops will freeze when that happens I know its time to dump the water tank/heater both of which are double insulated and inside of the van contents. The cassette has never frozen maybe urine is like antifreeze who knows. OK queue for some smart arse to come up with the freezing point of urine.
ps and apparently not read the last one properly as now see you have tank heaters well done.
Well having read the rest of the thread it seems you have done a great job. One tip no one has mentioned for insulating awkward corners etc is expanding foam. Excellent stuff, but again cover with a membrane if outside.

Hi Roger,
Yes it does delay the inevitable, and a read of teh earlier posts, would show that in fact I have added a tank heater ::bigsmile:
The insulation that I put in is actually for the sides of the tank as there is a gap at the side allaround which is not insulater about 2-3 inches around which is what the balls and material are for. ::bigsmile:
Although you are of course quite right that the bottom is the place to be insulated and that will be happening with the bubble wrap as said because I can not get underneath the actual tank so will need to do this from the underside of the false floor. :thumb:
Expanding foam is a good idea and I will be using this, Old Mo recommended this earlier in the thread. There are just a couple of corners I cant get at. :thumb:
I will give a go with the foam although I understand it can be quite messy. :thumb:

Cassettes don't freeze, ive not seen Pee freeze before but am sure I read in a WW2 book that it does,
Maybee if I pee in my water tank it will help :ROFLMAO:

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
apparently pee does freeze but it wont be a problem at -30 C

Link Removed'

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
Ok, so moving on a bit then,

I have now added another outlet off the heating in to the van. Was quite a tougher job than I anticipated due to the location. But I have managed to do so. My initial plan was too then add in an Inline blower called an activent, but TBH the run to that outlet is not that long and it pumps out loads of heat. I can't actually get to show you the position it takes when the seat is fully swivelled but basically it blows to the left of the seat so will help keep the cab of the van warm...

Attachments

• 222.jpg
    222.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 127
  • 223.jpg
    223.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 129
  • 227.jpg
    227.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 131
  • 228.jpg
    228.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 136
  • 226.jpg
    226.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 125
Reactions: f6c

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Isn't all this work a bit extreme for the relatively tropical climes further down the mountain Paul?!:reel:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Paul I don't know if it's too late on the expanding foam front but if you get a foam gun around 12 quid you can place the foam very accurate :thumb: plus the cans of foam are only £4 ish instead of 7 £ ish for the non controllable messy stuff---leave the can on the gun and it will last yrs:winky:
Terry

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
Whats that rule again...

Measure twice cut once:ROFLMAO:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
Whats that rule again...

Measure twice cut once:ROFLMAO:

... I noticed that too .... :Blush:

Oh for gods sake, what's a matter with you two. This had nothing to do with me winterising the van. This was Nikki asking about a new circular pattern for marking the van. I just needed a indiscript place to test ti, little was i too know that years later I would use the spot next door to cut a similar size hole :Blush:

Thank god for photo shop I'm gonna start using it

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Oh for gods sake, what's a matter with you two. This had nothing to do with me winterising the van. This was Nikki asking about a new circular pattern for marking the van. I just needed a indiscript place to test ti, little was i too know that years later I would use the spot next door to cut a similar size hole :Blush:

Thank god for photo shop I'm gonna start using it

here's one I did earlier...:thumb:

print out and stick on van :roflmto:

Attachments

• 228.jpg
    228.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 121
OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
Ok, so the final piece of the jigsaw arrived this morning.

Here it is in its full glory.....

Made by fiama, and TBH, I was going to get the taylormade one but this looks great quality ,this should help keep all the cab nice and warm....
The sides of the van have skirts, and then the back will have a snow wall.

I now know there's a book open on whether we will freeze to death or not, being that we are in a British van and all that.
But Im quietly confident that everythings covered.

going to use it underneath the normal blinds too and going to give it a test when Im on the isle of Anglessey running the Ultra Trail run at the weekend...:thumb:

Incidently, I got it from Argos of all places, on sale at just £150, not a caravan dealer in the world offering me that price. :thumb:

The new Fiamma Coverglas XXL cover is ideal for winter use as it completely covers the engine compartment. Made of insulated material that performs extremely well at low temperatures. Composed of 2 detachable parts. The upper part covers all the windows of the motorhome cabin (it is possible to uncover the windshield without unmounting the Coverglas), while the lower section, which attaches with Velcro, covers the engine compartment completely. Excellent for winter use. Suitable for Fiat Ducato after 06/2006.

Specification:

Ideal for winter use.
Protects the engine.
Fitting: Fiat Ducato after 06/2006.
Colour: Polar white.

Attachments

• 20130115_093432.jpg
    20130115_093432.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 127
  • 20130115_093438.jpg
    20130115_093438.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 131
Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
strewth - thats a bit wrinkly!!

(and i thought it was dogs who started to look like their owners):ROFLMAO:

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Blimey Haggers I'm like the poor relation all I've got is an old sleeping bag to wrap around the bonnet :Eeek:
Suppose I'll have to park in a corner on my own again:Smile:

lesleyjean

Free Member
Jun 21, 2008
Funster No
MH
A class
Ok, so the final piece of the jigsaw arrived this morning.

Here it is in its full glory.....

Made by fiama, and TBH, I was going to get the taylormade one but this looks great quality ,this should help keep all the cab nice and warm....
The sides of the van have skirts, and then the back will have a snow wall.

I now know there's a book open on whether we will freeze to death or not, being that we are in a British van and all that.
But Im quietly confident that everythings covered.

going to use it underneath the normal blinds too and going to give it a test when Im on the isle of Anglessey running the Ultra Trail run at the weekend...:thumb:

Incidently, I got it from Argos of all places, on sale at just £150, not a caravan dealer in the world offering me that price. :thumb:

The new Fiamma Coverglas XXL cover is ideal for winter use as it completely covers the engine compartment. Made of insulated material that performs extremely well at low temperatures. Composed of 2 detachable parts. The upper part covers all the windows of the motorhome cabin (it is possible to uncover the windshield without unmounting the Coverglas), while the lower section, which attaches with Velcro, covers the engine compartment completely. Excellent for winter use. Suitable for Fiat Ducato after 06/2006.

Specification:

Ideal for winter use.
Protects the engine.
Fitting: Fiat Ducato after 06/2006.
Colour:[HI] Polar white[/HI].

::bigsmile:Looks like 'silver' to me.
But as I've said before (gozzy)::bigsmile:

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Ok, so moving on a bit then,

I have now added another outlet off the heating in to the van. Was quite a tougher job than I anticipated due to the location. But I have managed to do so. My initial plan was too then add in an Inline blower called an activent, but TBH the run to that outlet is not that long and it pumps out loads of heat. I can't actually get to show you the position it takes when the seat is fully swivelled but basically it blows to the left of the seat so will help keep the cab of the van warm...

Hi Paul just noticed this and found it interesting but can't find out about it on a web search can you help do you have a link?? Our van is lovelly and warm as you know from last year at VT but if there is one fault its with the boiler at the back of the van the rear is always warmer than the front. Even closing the garage vent still does'nt get much extra flow to the very front. Anything that might increase flow to the front would be of interest.:thumb:

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
I second Rory!

ive been hunting for some for ages, i do remember seeing them a couple of years ago but cannot find any now

Was thinking of going down the computer fan route...not sure how but i think it could work, if i could apply some thought to it and work out a way to rig it inline without making teh problem worse!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back