Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
This winter we plugged the MH into the mains and ran the heating on a low setting over the worst of the winter. Just read our electric meter for the quarter's reading and I was shocked! Hard to say exactly how much it cost but it must have been around £150 - £200.
We have a thermometer in the MH and when I checked it was between 9 - 10c in there with the heating on. Could we have had it on lower than that? Is there a better way than using the onboard heater? I'm wondering if gas would have been cheaper as we have Gaslow.
Next year we'll probably stay away somewhere warmer - definitely cheaper than heating the house and the MH.

Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
There again why warm your motorhome, mine is in a secure storage site with no electricity and my MH seems just fine to me. (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Mags52

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
We used it a couple of times over the winter for guests so I didn't want the bed to get cold and damp. Also, it gets pretty cold up here in Scotland.

Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
We used our van as guest accommodation from February to May last year when our youngest daughter and her two children stayed with us prior to emigrating to Texas. Our electric bill, too, went through the roof but most of that was for heating our conservatory which we use as a dinning room. We only heated the van for an hour before we went to bed and again in the morning. (y)

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
I have mine hooked up and a convector heater keeps it at 8 degrees. Worked out the cost a couple of years ago to be £80-£120. Means the van is not cold or damp should we take a quick break in the winter which we frequently do. As I paid over £40k for the van I consider the cost to be minimal when rolled up with servicing, insurance, fuel, tyres etc. for a van doing 6000 odd miles a year.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I just leave vans as is during winter..no problems yet, heating it for the sake of it seems a bit daft to be honest

Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010
I'm with Judgemental on this and we go away more in the winter than the summer. If it has been exceptionally cold I might put the heating on for a couple of hours before we leave - if only so that the dump valve doesn't activate. Never had any problems doing this for the last 5 years.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Heating only creates warmer air which will hold more water hence more condensation. Just leave our van as it is, if we want to use it the Truma Combi only take 20min to bring it up to a reasonable temperature.

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
At the end of the day i dont think it is that much really. Say £200 for 90 days if you had used gas x3. What price for some peace of mind the mh is worth it.

As i live in mine even when at home its 20c from 10am to 10pm then 15c from 10pm to 10am if iam in or not. With what it cost to buy and use i have no problem with few quid for lecy. And always ready to roll.

Last edited:
M

Madwife

Deleted User
2013/14 we had ours on hook up and heating on and yes electricity Bill was high. However MH was aired and everything ready to go

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
If you DO want to keep a "gentle" background temperature, why not buy a "tube heater" ??
You can buy a Dimple made, thermostatically controlled one, for less than £20..
They only use 40 watts per foot of length and you can set the temperature to anything you want.. I set mine to 5 degrees to prevent frost..
The folks that say DONT heat at all are also correct, as are the ones that say "Go South" :LOL:
PS. I mounted mine onto an MDF board to make it safer.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
No heating in ours unless we were in it as well and not had any issues.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
I have always had mine on hook up in the winter when at home. The damage that could potentially happen if frozen may be more than the cost of the electric. Then I would have the inconvenience of booking it in for repairs, and they are never quick!
I do put on the silver screens and close all the blinds and use a rodent alarm.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
If we aren't using the van its outside on EHU, thermostat set at 8, batteries kept smart charged, fridge and freezer are usually working keeping overflow food cool.
I'm sure it costs a bit to keep it powered up but the van is well insulated ( grade 3 whatever that is!) with Silver screens on and all insulated blinds in use, I haven't noticed the bills are that much higher than if it wasn't connected.
Allan

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Portable heaters, left unattended or not, will not be covered by your motorhome insurance .. in the event of a fire caused by one they may not pay out... worth checking with your broker.

Small risk.. yes.. but even oil filled heaters have been known to catch alight .. tubular green-house type heaters are probably the safest..

I'm in the 'not required' camp

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
For those of you who don't heat the van and yet it have it ready to go at any time, how do you make sure that your dump valve doesn't open or the boiler freeze up please? I must admit I tend to drain all the water in mine and then leave it non-heated.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back