Winterised????...... What exactly does that mean? (1 Viewer)

Spacegazer

Free Member
Apr 26, 2013
Kilmarnock
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Elegance i820 ( Burster) with Alde wet heating etc..... Tanks up under van, between floors I believe..... I intend using the van during winter months this year...... Never had winterised van before..... Used to draining the old Winnebago Journey before it went in shed for winter...... Van will be inside a shed when I'm on my week away at work...... What exactly do I have to do ( if anything) to prevent damages over winter ...... Or shud it be ok as it is????....... Any views would be great.......

Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
If your shed is frost free it will be ok, if not you still need to drain down. Even if its winterised if we get a spell of cold weather that is below freezing point, things will freeze up unless you have the heating on. My water heater dumps the water if the temp drops to 4c.

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Winterised means that while your heating is on all your tanks are being heated (y) so I would drain down in the winter even in a shed, not worth the risk, also leave all taps on(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
This is hymers explanation
Screenshot_2016-08-17-09-26-38.png
Screenshot_2016-08-17-09-26-45.png

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
I have always understood that 'winterised' is the ability of a vehicle to retain all of its normal functions DURING USAGE in winter conditions.

It seems that many use the term in the context of preparing the vehicle for non usage (I.e. Storage) during the winter season.

These are quite different contexts!

Ian

OP
OP
Spacegazer

Spacegazer

Free Member
Apr 26, 2013
Kilmarnock
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Thanks guys, I work away from home for a week,......and I intend to use it on my week off...... Gonna be a right bind if I got to drain it down every trip when I get back...... Incidentally, does anyone know where drain valve is on freshwater tank on the Elegance???....

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
Thanks guys, I work away from home for a week,......and I intend to use it on my week off...... Gonna be a right bind if I got to drain it down every trip when I get back...... Incidentally, does anyone know where drain valve is on freshwater tank on the Elegance???....
Check the weather forecast for the week ahead, if the temperature is likely to be cold for the week then you may have to drain down. Not many weeks over the winter will be really cold.
Drain down shouldn't take too long, better to be on the safe side.

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977

Mine is on top the water tank, turn until you feel pressure then a little bit more dumps the water. If you only turn until you feel pressure that will leave some in the tank. Mine is a Elegance I821G

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Ours is winterised as well of course being German, tanks in the floor space as you say yours is and it lives in a shed when its not on the road, the shed is not heated but I am sure it affords some protection from the cold, in the 4 years we have had it I have never drained downBUT it hasn't been cold for long periods either.

Martin

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
winterised means that it will function properly when used in reasonable sub zero temperatures.

If you have turned everything off then it will not be able to function.

It should however cope with lower temperatures than a non-winterised mh.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
our Hymer has Alde heating and is 'winterised', never drained mine in 3 years, but we keep on hook up outside at home with heating set to 8C, with the Alde that also means the hot water stays warm, probably a waste of electricity but better that for me than burst pipes (y)

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
If winterised it will work here-

BILD1480.JPG

If not winterised, it will only work here-

caravan-site.jpg

-Simples!:)

Reactions: f6c

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Does anyone add extra lagging where possible ?
Nope, mine's already adequately winterised but even if it wasn't, the fact that its being used means that, depending on where you are, it probably doesn't need it.

I think the easiest thing is to just drain down ?
Presumably you're now talking about storage and not trying to improve the ability of your vehicle to function over winter.

If the former, absolutely as no matter what the specification of your vehicle, things WILL freeze if the vehicle is in storage.

If the latter, don't fancy using a vehicle with no water aboard!

Ian

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back