Winterised vans, drain or not

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Wildman, Oct 28, 2010.

1. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

Our new van has an inboard water tank shrouded in closed cell foam, the water heater is a Belling, it is enclosed in a polystyrene Jacket. the van is 1" thick closed cell foam sandwich construction one piece body and floor as well. Does anyone have similar and left water in over a real cold winter when it is only used occasionally. what does the panel think (currently drained down and bottles of water left in to see if it freezes).

2. johng

johng Read Only Funster

Wild, I think in most respects my van is similar.. I was not around last winter, had to suffer the tropics :Rofl1: but I just dont leave water in the van, when temp goes below 0.. emptied mine the other day..

I could not face a new hot- water tank or repairing burst pipes under cupboards..

J

3. welsh winger

welsh winger Read Only Funster

Last winter during the cold spell I asked myself the same question, and did the same as you drained the van and left bottled water near the tank and boiler, both froze, this was a Knaus supposed to be winterised, even had the ski locker, so in short dont chance it.

Nick

4. Terry

Terry Funster

Hi Roger :Rofl1: depends on how long you leave it and how cold :BigGrin: Mines 2 ins thick all round roof walls and floor :thumb: Never drained it but one day last yr it had a very thin layer of ice in the bowl of water left in the sink.The ice outside was about 8 ins thick :Wink: Drain it to be sure :thumb:
    terry

5. Ivys

Ivys Read Only Funster

We close all the blinds, leave all water, clothes-peg the valve and leave heating on about 5 degrees. That way when we need to "dash out" no probs.

Rog

6. Douglas

Douglas Read Only Funster

Rodger, I have never done it before as we have always been further south for Xmas so this year I have done it for the first time.

I have ---

1/ Dropped the water out of the holding tank.
    2/ opened the drain valve on the water heater.
    3/ removed the water filter unit, its in the house now.
    4/ opened all the taps, half and half on the hot and cold position.
    5/ run the pump and at the same time blow down the suction line to the pump.

In the passed I have had the plastic tap fittings split for no reason other than being cheap and nasty so I hate to see what a little frost could do.

Doug...

7. Mixter

Mixter Read Only Funster

Cant recall whether i mentioned this here on another thread, or elsehwere, but.....i drained all our water out, every last bit, then went for a run to the MOT place. Got back, and got another quart of water out of somewhere in the system - so beware!

8. rangitira

rangitira Funster

Thought I'd drained mine completely last winter, but must have left some in the hot water boiler Matrix, result? Cold Soldering a burst pipe after dismantling the boiler, and this year! check! check! check!

9. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Hang the expense Roger.. dump the water :Wink:

10. mowbotman

mowbotman Funster

Water additive

I read somewhere just in case there is some water in the system to add the water additive and drain again, and if there is some left in you are safe, cannot remember name ?

11. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

Ha ha Jim, not the expense but inconvenience, loo flushes from the main tank, and we use the van to make a cuppa etc on the smallholding and a place top rest during inclement weather. Nearest water to refill the tank is the other side of 10 acre field that at times gets waterlogged and impossible to drive on. Will have to keep an eye on it this winter and judge for myself before next next winter.

12. Sundowners

Sundowners Funster Life Member

RV antifreeze ?-------------------- that is exactly what it's for, they do not recomend putting it in the water heater as it attacks the anode inside.
    Nigel

13. WillH

WillH Funster

No matter how good the insulation is if the ambient temperature outside remains low enough, long enough, eventually the interior temperature will drop to the same as ambient unless there is a heater inside. Insulation only slows transfer of heat, it does not stop it completely.

Rgds
    Bill

14. bernardfeay

bernardfeay Read Only Funster

open all the taps

We open all our taps, including the grey water when we are about 30 miles from home. The jiggling and joggling around as we drive empties every last drop out of the system. At least, I hope it does. We've been lucky up to now but maybe it is just luck.

Must admit though that if we are only away for a couple of days we just take water in bottles rather than risk filling up the system.

15. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

First two years I dropped all the water
    Last year just opened all the taps and let the auto dump valve do its work to protect the water heater.

Left about 15 gallons of water in the main tank .. All was ok

16. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Top Tip 1
    If you are leaving the van where it will eventually freeze inside. (like in Wales early this year) and you cannot heat it. Don't forget to remove your in-line water filter if you have one. Sometimes water is left in the filter even after draining down and if they freeze they can break or pop he pipes they are attached to:thumb:

Top Tip 2
    Once the danger of frost has passed - If you removed your in-line filter do remember to put it back before you fill and prime the water system:Cool:

17. rainbow chasers

rainbow chasers Read Only Funster

You could easily rattle something like this up!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ibc-water-die...K_BOI_FarmingEquipment_RL&hash=item3f0466adb0

Would cure the distance problem. Lag it as you wish, the tanks are quite cheap.