Winterised vans, drain or not (1 Viewer)

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Our new van has an inboard water tank shrouded in closed cell foam, the water heater is a Belling, it is enclosed in a polystyrene Jacket. the van is 1" thick closed cell foam sandwich construction one piece body and floor as well. Does anyone have similar and left water in over a real cold winter when it is only used occasionally. what does the panel think (currently drained down and bottles of water left in to see if it freezes).

johng

Free Member
Aug 15, 2007
Kent/Sussex UK
Funster No
MH
1984 C ClassGMC
Exp
Wild, I think in most respects my van is similar.. I was not around last winter, had to suffer the tropics :ROFLMAO: but I just dont leave water in the van, when temp goes below 0.. emptied mine the other day..

I could not face a new hot- water tank or repairing burst pipes under cupboards..

J

welsh winger

Free Member
Jul 7, 2009
Sunny Swansea
Funster No
MH
swift lifestyle
Exp
4 years
Last winter during the cold spell I asked myself the same question, and did the same as you drained the van and left bottled water near the tank and boiler, both froze, this was a Knaus supposed to be winterised, even had the ski locker, so in short dont chance it.

Nick

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Roger :ROFLMAO: depends on how long you leave it and how cold ::bigsmile: Mines 2 ins thick all round roof walls and floor :thumb: Never drained it but one day last yr it had a very thin layer of ice in the bowl of water left in the sink.The ice outside was about 8 ins thick :winky: Drain it to be sure :thumb:
terry

Sep 29, 2007
Wantage, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Motorhoming since 2006, 30 years tent camping in Africa
We close all the blinds, leave all water, clothes-peg the valve and leave heating on about 5 degrees. That way when we need to "dash out" no probs.

Rog

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
Rodger, I have never done it before as we have always been further south for Xmas so this year I have done it for the first time.

I have ---

1/ Dropped the water out of the holding tank.
2/ opened the drain valve on the water heater.
3/ removed the water filter unit, its in the house now.
4/ opened all the taps, half and half on the hot and cold position.
5/ run the pump and at the same time blow down the suction line to the pump.

In the passed I have had the plastic tap fittings split for no reason other than being cheap and nasty so I hate to see what a little frost could do.

Doug...

Mixter

Free Member
Dec 2, 2009
Keighley, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Now a year - cant believe it!
Cant recall whether i mentioned this here on another thread, or elsehwere, but.....i drained all our water out, every last bit, then went for a run to the MOT place. Got back, and got another quart of water out of somewhere in the system - so beware!

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Thought I'd drained mine completely last winter, but must have left some in the hot water boiler Matrix, result? Cold Soldering a burst pipe after dismantling the boiler, and this year! check! check! check!

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Hang the expense Roger.. dump the water :winky:

Aug 10, 2008
Hawes, UK
Funster No
MH
VW California
Exp
Water additive

I read somewhere just in case there is some water in the system to add the water additive and drain again, and if there is some left in you are safe, cannot remember name ?

OP
OP
W

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Hang the expense Roger.. dump the water :winky:
Ha ha Jim, not the expense but inconvenience, loo flushes from the main tank, and we use the van to make a cuppa etc on the smallholding and a place top rest during inclement weather. Nearest water to refill the tank is the other side of 10 acre field that at times gets waterlogged and impossible to drive on. Will have to keep an eye on it this winter and judge for myself before next next winter.

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
I read somewhere just in case there is some water in the system to add the water additive and drain again, and if there is some left in you are safe, cannot remember name ?

RV antifreeze ?-------------------- that is exactly what it's for, they do not recomend putting it in the water heater as it attacks the anode inside.
Nigel

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
No matter how good the insulation is if the ambient temperature outside remains low enough, long enough, eventually the interior temperature will drop to the same as ambient unless there is a heater inside. Insulation only slows transfer of heat, it does not stop it completely.

Rgds
Bill

bernardfeay

Free Member
Nov 18, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
hymer exsis
Exp
10 years
open all the taps

We open all our taps, including the grey water when we are about 30 miles from home. The jiggling and joggling around as we drive empties every last drop out of the system. At least, I hope it does. We've been lucky up to now but maybe it is just luck.

Must admit though that if we are only away for a couple of days we just take water in bottles rather than risk filling up the system.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
First two years I dropped all the water
Last year just opened all the taps and let the auto dump valve do its work to protect the water heater.

Left about 15 gallons of water in the main tank .. All was ok

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Top Tip 1
If you are leaving the van where it will eventually freeze inside. (like in Wales early this year) and you cannot heat it. Don't forget to remove your in-line water filter if you have one. Sometimes water is left in the filter even after draining down and if they freeze they can break or pop he pipes they are attached to:thumb:

Top Tip 2
Once the danger of frost has passed - If you removed your in-line filter do remember to put it back before you fill and prime the water system:Cool:

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Ha ha Jim, not the expense but inconvenience, loo flushes from the main tank, and we use the van to make a cuppa etc on the smallholding and a place top rest during inclement weather. Nearest water to refill the tank is the other side of 10 acre field that at times gets waterlogged and impossible to drive on. Will have to keep an eye on it this winter and judge for myself before next next winter.

You could easily rattle something like this up!

Link Removed

Would cure the distance problem. Lag it as you wish, the tanks are quite cheap.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back