winterisation question

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by Mags52, Nov 1, 2010.

1. Mags52

Mags52 Funster

We've decided to keep the MH outside the house instead of in storage for the winter because we want it to be there ready for days out and stuff. This will be our first winter with a MH although we had a caravan for years. We have an outside power source so it's easy to leave it plugged in
    The heater settings are 40 and 60. How much electricity would we use if we left it on 40deg?. I have no idea how to work out that out. It's a Truma boiler.
    Or, if we dump all the water will we be able to use the boiler without refilling it?
    A third option would be to buy a very low wattage heater for background heat but I'm not sure if this would be enough to stop the system from freezing up.
    It's a Geist and I'm told they are pretty well winterised but I don't know what that means in real terms.
    Thanks for any help.
    Mags

2. 1948

1948 Read Only Funster

For my Truma boiler the 40 and 60 are water tempertures (power by gas only) So if you dump all the water, your boiler will not work. There is another heating only switch in the control if you leave this on it will keepthe van warm but will use up all the gas eventually. PLugging a low wattage oil heater and empty the water tank would be a better solution I would have thought

3. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

To prevent freezing use an oil filled heater, about 800 watt and keep all the cupboard doors open..
    This will burn about 8p per hour or ~ £2 per day.. draining down completely is a cheaper option.

4. Terry

Terry Funster

Hi, as Jim says drain down - no heat and fill up as you want to go :thumb: only takes ten mins as you are putting fresh stuff / clothes into the van - Make sure you keep the hose in the garage or house so that it is not frozen
    :thumb:
    terry

5. Mags52

Mags52 Funster

Thanks for the tips. Good point about the hose - I wouldn't have thought of that.
    I feel a bit reluctant to flood the drive with water but it makes more sense.
    Another quick question. There are two flip switches beside the boiler for dumping water. Is one of them the dump for the fresh water?
    M

6. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

Doesn't the drive flood with water when it rains???????????????????

7. Mags52

Mags52 Funster

Errr yes but when it rains I'm not worried about ice. Should have done this last week when it was rainy rather than now when it's cold and clear. However, we're in Scotland so if we wait 10 minutes it will probably rain again.

8. barryd

barryd Read Only Funster

Last year we were using the van through most of the really cold weather so didnt need to drain anything. I just drain the hot water tank and cold tank when its not getting used and its really cold. Havent bothered putting heaters in and it seems ok.

9. Mags52

Mags52 Funster

What did I say about the weather? It's now raining after being brilliantly sunny and freezing cold this morning. Water dumping here I come!