Winterisation of a 2010 model of a swift escape 664 (1 Viewer)

Breezelle

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Alexandria Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift escape 664
Exp
3 months
I have only had my motorhome 3 months and have now drained the water but have no idea how to drain the water tank under the bed. Is there a drain underneath van or does the large black knob turn off to get inside it. I would appreciate if anyone can advise. Thanks
Breezelle

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Is the water tank under the bed the main fresh water tank or is it the water heater tank?
Oh, and welcome.

Upvote 0

Mi58ck

Free Member
Aug 9, 2012
Worcester
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since august 2012
On my swift you unscrew the large black cap on top of the tank,then inside there is a red rubber bung on a chain.Pull the bung out and drain tank,refit bung to stop insects etc put cap back on job done.Hope this helps

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

Breezelle

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Alexandria Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift escape 664
Exp
3 months
On my swift you unscrew the large black cap on top of the tank,then inside there is a red rubber bung on a chain.Pull the bung out and drain tank,refit bung to stop insects etc put cap back on job done.Hope this helps
When you pull rubber bunt out where does the water go inside van or outside

Upvote 0

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
1.... 2015 and a rubber bung :doh: :whistle2:

2. It's only October... Loads of time to use yet (y)

Photo0005.jpg

Upvote 0

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
@Breezelle Before you ask........

Draining the pipes is a bit of a faff - after emptying the freshwater tank (and by the way don't forget your waste tank and toilet cassette too) I run the water pump for about 30 secs with all the taps open. It doesn't drain them completely but enough, I think, to avoid damage if it does freeze up. Leave the taps fully open and in the midway position between hot and cold. Lay your shower head on the floor to also allow water to run away.

Although we go away now for winter, it's still possible to get a sudden cold snap and if you can't get to your van quickly you could be in trouble. At this time of year I do this to ours even if we might be going away again soon. It only takes a few minutes.

Don't forget to shut off all the taps though when you come to refill..............:LOL:

Upvote 0
Oct 8, 2014
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Compactline 143
Exp
I'm a newbie and always will be. You never know it all.
Well, doesn't look as though I'll be going somewhere warm anytime soon:( so I suppose I need to drain the alde heating system down, any tips?:)

Upvote 0

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
@Breezelle

In addition to draining the tanks, loo etc, I use one of these. See www.keepfloeing.com or plenty of vids on You Tube

It gets rid of the residual water that's left in the pipes (that can cause split pipes and blown joints when frozen).

Some advocate blowing down one of the taps to achieve this, but human lungs don't have the capacity to clear the pipes.

You just need a standard 12v tyre inflator, connect up to the floe, pressurise your system, open taps/valves one-by-one and that's it.

Probably worth a look, especially as your location is more prone to freezing and snow.

Oh and don't forget to cover your fridge vents.

Hope this helps?
James

Upvote 0
Sep 25, 2009
south yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2004. Tugger 10 years on and off
Well, doesn't look as though I'll be going somewhere warm anytime soon:( so I suppose I need to drain the alde heating system down, any tips?:)
I don't think Alde needs draining.I always thought it has antifreeze in it.I'm sure some one on here will be able to confirm

Upvote 0
Oct 8, 2014
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Compactline 143
Exp
Thanks for that Dave(y) Think I'd better read the destructions.:rolleyes:

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
>>Winterisation of a 2010 model of a swift escape 664

To be brutally honest they struggle to cope with the summer.

Upvote 0
Oct 8, 2014
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Compactline 143
Exp
I found that my Swift coped admirably with all winter could throw at it last year(y)

We were however in Spain;)

Upvote 0

Wickolad

Free Member
Sep 10, 2013
Wickersley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie to MH, 20yrs+ Caravanning.
I'm not quite sure as I don't have the Alde system but I thought that system has antifreeze in it....I may be wrong and just dreamed that one up :)

Upvote 0

TheWM

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
Newbie, but over 10 years in a campervan
Quick question. If my MH is winterised anyway - is it necessary to go to the extent of clearing pipes etc? I'm assuming that it won't freeze, tanks are empty...

Upvote 0

PCB

Free Member
Sep 12, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
Bailey Compact 520
Exp
Newbie, but was a caravanner
Hi everybody, I have found all the tips very useful, but still have some questions to add, being a newbie with my Bailey compact 520, I want to continue and use it at least once per month through the winter months. So if I drain all tanks, water heater, open taps etc but also keep the heating ticking over (hook up from home) will that suffice?
Iv'e also looked at the keepfloeing.com video but am frightened off by the thought of finding and cutting water pipes to fit there 2 tap/units etc.
Ref covering fridge vents etc, where do these come from as they are never supplied.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back