Wintering in Sicily blog...

Discussion in 'Italy' started by YukonJac, Jan 22, 2016.

1. YukonJac

YukonJac Funster

If anyone is interested, I've started a wee blog on all aspects of my Sicilian trip...feel free to sign up and follow. I'm here until Easter and taking it slowly, but I'd be happy to answer any questions I possibly can - just leave them as comments on the blog itself.
    All the best!

Jacquie

https://murphnjacagogo.wordpress.com

• Like Like x 4
  2. grumpybob

grumpybob Funster

Hi Jacguie we are staying at Luminoso at the moment, where are you?

3. YukonJac

YukonJac Funster

Hello!! I'm next door at Scarabeo - close to the beach. I'm heading out early tomorrow for a couple of days - going to Enna and Etna. You here for a while? There are a couple of other funsters here - come say hi tomorrow. Gary (flatpackchicken) is in the big Frankia right on the beach wall - he has a funster sticker on his back window. Very friendly bunch here. I'll be back for the Bocce tournament on Weds so hope to meet you then!

• Like Like x 1
  4. YukonJac

YukonJac Funster

PS - Somerset folk here too - and Devon. Thought you came to a foreign land, eh??

5. allez

allez Funster

Hi Jacquie! I'm also a solo-gal with camper/ dog/ bike! Just been enjoying reading your blog :smiley:! I'm travelling down to Sicily next month with some friends. Our current plan is to drive down through Italy and I wondered if you knew whether the Aree di Sostas were generally open this time of year? And any other top tips for Sicily? TIA :blusher:

• Like Like x 1
  6. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

Tried registering on the blog but it seemed to want me to sign up for a WordPress website. Odd, but I'll try again on another device later.

7. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Avid fans of Italy. Avid fans of Montalbano.

We really need to do this !!

• Like Like x 2
  8. Fenman

Fenman Funster

I have clicked to follow you. Blogs that are not done as a thread on here often get forgotten by me so now I get an email when you add to it. Saves my brain having to work.
    Enjoy the island.

• Like Like x 2
  9. YukonJac

YukonJac Funster

Hi Allez,
    Very cool! I took the Genoa ferry down this time but several years ago I drove to Bari to get the ferry to Greece. It was off season and I only used sostas. At that time, it was a bit difficult to find decent, free or reasonably-priced sostas but I managed. Sometimes no water (off in case of freeze), sometimes in a dire state of disrepair, sometimes lovely with all facilities you could need. I'm using this excellent website now: http://www.campercontact.com/en/
    I downloaded all the POIs to my Garmin and when online, you can get very good reviews - sometimes photos - mostly from Dutch motorhomers on various sostas, campsites and motorhome parking areas. I use the free version but you can pay a small amount for an all-bells version. Have a play with it before you go. There are of course traditional aires and sostas books available on the internet.
    Top tips for Sicily? Keep an open mind! It's not the easiest place to tour with a motorhome but it's very unique and worthwhile. I do not regret having a campsite as a base and doing daytrips or overnighters and coming back here. Just got back late last night after a spectacular 2 days between Enna and Etna. All will be in the next blog instalment shortly!
    Any more questions, feel free -
    Good luck in your planning
    Jacquie

10. YukonJac

YukonJac Funster

Let me know how you get on DBK - looks like my last subscriber got on. There's two means as far as I can see - a 'follow me' button, and a ' get email notifications of a new post' button. I'm a real greenhorn on the technicalities of WP so I'm not too sure what's up. A big disappointment is that if I reply to people's comments on the blog, they don't get sent a notification of the reply. Still working on a solution for that.

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

Panic over, it seems to be working now and I have registered. There was a different button yesterday, no idea what that was about!

• Like Like x 1
  12. mustaphapint

mustaphapint Funster

Great blog and photos. We spent nearly 2 months a couple of years ago touring Italy and Sicily with our 2CV van. A mixture of camping and hotels. We were mainly on the north coast of Sicily but we did visit Taormina (spelling ?) and Mt Etna. We also tried to see some fields of boiling mud in the south west but they had been shut due to an accident a few weeks before.

• Like Like x 1
  13. allez

allez Funster

Hi Jacquie - thanks for all the details - thats brilliant. I've used camper contact before - and yes the reviews are great as you feel you're getting good up-to-date info on the place.
    I'm really excited about exploring somewhere new - and looking forward to the next instalment of your blog :blusher:! Safe travelling and maybe bump into you when we are down there!
    xx

14. allez

allez Funster

Hilldweller - you've inspired me and I've just borrowed my friends box set of Inspector Montalbano to take with us. Just to get us in the mood for Sicily :coolest:!

• Like Like x 2
  15. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Just watching the few Young Montalbanos I recorded. It's very entertaining spoiled only by having to read sub titles and miss the scenery. It's amazing how well they Young one matches the old one in terms of looks and mannerisms.

It's a fair old drive, we've driven down as far as Sorrento so far. Love Sorrento, apart from the ants.

• Like Like x 3
  16. YukonJac

YukonJac Funster

A 2CV van!! I always dreamt of having one - I had 2 x 2CVs - named them after French aunts (Tante Cecile and Tante Elise). Would love to see a photo of yours in touring mode...

• Like Like x 2
  17. YukonJac

YukonJac Funster

Look me up - I think I'm going to have to tear myself away from Sicily come April/May. Until then, I'll still be flitting about.

• Like Like x 1
  18. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

19. YukonJac

YukonJac Funster

:):D

• Like Like x 1
  20. mustaphapint

mustaphapint Funster

Here you are. It's an Acadiane actually but it's easier to describe it as a 2CV van to most people.
    Albert_alpine_pass.jpg Albert_camping.jpg journeys_goal.jpg

• Like Like x 1