Free Member
Mar 15, 2017
hampshire
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Hi
I have a knaus sky Ti 2012 model. I need to put winter tyres on for my up comong trip to Austria as it is still a legal requiremnet until the end of April. I have decided to purchase the whole wheels with the tyres as I will be able to change them over myself every season instead of keep getting the tyres changed. My question is my wheels are 15" but i am thinking of putting 16" Alloys on as they are more ready available and work out cheaper does anyone know if this will affect the milage or performance of my van
Thank you for any bodies help or advise.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
:welcomesign:It will definitely alter the speedo reading. Are the 15" alloys as well ? If not the alloys might need different bolts as well.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
animated welcome group purple.gif

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
You can work out the percentage change from the rolling circumference of each size. My experience of Fiat speedos suggests it will become more accurate. Check before you switch wheels using GPS.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Yes, it will alter the gear ratio unless you fit slightly lower aspect ratio tyres to compensate for the larger rims.. ...maybe a 65 instead of a 70 or a 60 instead of 65.
Different aspect ratios affect the rolling radius of the tyre.
inclines will need more frequent down changes without lower ratio tyres..
You will also need to inform your insurers.
As long as the tyres have the snow symbol (snow flake) they will be accepted and much better sticking some all season tyres on your standard rims and using all year round.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
:welcomesign:It will definitely alter the speedo reading. Are the 15" alloys as well ? If not the alloys might need different bolts as well.
And raise the gearing slightly, will also need to check clearances.

Martin

Oops sorry been said already

OP
OP
P

pwlc

Free Member
Mar 15, 2017
hampshire
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Thanks everyone for your input. A bit more to it than I relised. Thanks for advise.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Why alloys?
Salty roads will corrode them, snow chains will scratch them, thieves will nick them and they need different bolts!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
:pink:
I think 16" wheels have a different PCD so they won't fit. Why not just do what others do fit winter tyres and use all year round.

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
I'd recommend 4 seasons tyres rather than pure Winters. At that time of year winters could take a real pounding as they don't like too much heat.

When you say it's a legal requirement, this is only the case in "winter conditions" or perhaps above a certain altitude.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
From Jan 2018 four season tyres without snowflake marking will not be acceptable in countries that require winter tyres.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
From Jan 2018 four season tyres without snowflake marking will not be acceptable in countries that require winter tyres.

That doesn't surprise me, if they have not got the snowflake they don't have the winter capability so they can't be fourseasons in my book.

Martin

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012

Nothing has changed in that sense as what you describe is a 3 season tyre.....

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Nothing has changed in that sense as what you describe is a 3 season tyre.....
Tyres on last van were 4 season m&s marked but no Snowflake OK for winter use until new laws come into force in Jan 2018.

OP
OP
P

pwlc

Free Member
Mar 15, 2017
hampshire
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I have gone if the idea of alloys now. You made a good point jonandshell. I just thought they would look nice !!!We are going to Austria to catch the last of the ski season. Also we are planning to go over new year so this was going to be a bit of practice ( while the weather was better) to see how we managed skiing and camping. Most countries winter tyres are a legal requirement or recommended till march. But not Austria. The fine can be up to €5000 apparently. We need them for end of year anyway.we thought if we had the wheels as well we could change them ourselves rather than getting a tyre bar to keep changing tyres over.Are all season tyres legal in heavy snow conditions.
Also i know its early but any winter camping skiing tips would be useful. Our van is fully winterised but would like some info on heating costs etc.does using electric work out expensive we have built in gas but noticed Austria doesn't have so many lpg pumps.
Thanks for any advise
Pwlc

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Are all season tyres legal in heavy snow conditions.
Read my post #12, only legal until the end of this year then they must have the snowflake making in countries that specify winter tyres.
Continental winter tyres are fine for all year round use, if you contact them they will confirm this. Very little increase in noise & wear rates in summer and lets face it you are not burning down motorways at over a ton in a motorhome.
I've met a couple who live in the south of France and take their van to Greece every year who use these tyres all year round, the guy was English with his own tyre company in France.

Last edited:

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
I have gone if the idea of alloys now. You made a good point jonandshell. I just thought they would look nice !!!We are going to Austria to catch the last of the ski season. Also we are planning to go over new year so this was going to be a bit of practice ( while the weather was better) to see how we managed skiing and camping. Most countries winter tyres are a legal requirement or recommended till march. But not Austria. The fine can be up to €5000 apparently. We need them for end of year anyway.we thought if we had the wheels as well we could change them ourselves rather than getting a tyre bar to keep changing tyres over.Are all season tyres legal in heavy snow conditions.
Also i know its early but any winter camping skiing tips would be useful. Our van is fully winterised but would like some info on heating costs etc.does using electric work out expensive we have built in gas but noticed Austria doesn't have so many lpg pumps.
Thanks for any advise
Pwlc

You should be OK if you make your estimates based on a 13kg propane cylinder lasting 3 days if used for heating.
If you are going to higher altitude, figure on 2 days per cylinder to be safe.
Remember a lot of continental sites limit your amperage on EHU so don't rely solely on that for heating!
We have diesel heating on our van, but we have gained knowledge of the gas consumption from fellow Funsters.
Hope this helps.

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
It's perhaps a UK thing but nobody would call a 4 season tyre a 4 season tyre unless it was just that, not even sure I've ever seen 3 season tyres here. There's 2 obligations, one can be legal depending upon the country and the other can be your insurance although I'm not aware of any UK insurers that have winter condition policies, here all of them do.

I've been running 4 season tyres for 12yrs on my cars and have no issue although they aren't as capable as true winter tyres. They struggle with deeper/fresh snow and also at colder temperatures but overall they cover 95% of conditions.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back