Winter tyres What to do?

Discussion in 'How To' started by mogbl, Aug 25, 2011.

1. mogbl

mogbl Funster

Plan is to start our longtime tour of europe in September after the Finale in Lincoln.
    Want to spend the Ski season in Austria so will need winter tyres.
    There is nothing wrong with the tyres fitted to our Dethlefts tag axel so seems a shame to throw them but may have no choice.
    What I need to know is can I use winter tyres all year round, Do I change all seven including spare and where is the best place to get them. Advice please.

Richard

2. rob kinnear

rob kinnear Read Only Funster

Hi I remember reading somewhere that some tyre fitting companies will change your tyres and keep them ready for you to refit in the spring. It may be worth asking your local fitter.
    I am sure someone will be along with an answer soon.

Rob

3. nomadic

nomadic Funster

Winter Tyres

Hi Richard,

Do you need to change all tyres, could you get the same results with snow chains??

4. mogbl

mogbl Funster

Apparently all tyres have to be changed and I have carry snow chains:cry:

unless someone knows otherwise

5. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

as far as i know carrying chains is compulory in some countries/ski resorts but no requirement for winter tyres.....even winter tyres wont help on icy roads but chains are a must.

6. rainbow chasers

rainbow chasers Read Only Funster

Some areas do require winter tyres by law, I seen to remember austria and germany handing out penalties for not using them. You can find out more on the AA guide to travelling in europe via their website.

In my honest opinion, I would have a look at getting a second set of wheels - storage permissible - this way you can have a set of winter tyres in your garage should you decide for another winter break at a later date, and summer tyres that you have on now for that season. Bnenfit being, that though you will have two sets, you won't be using or replacing them as often if using seasonally.

You can get the wheels from vans at breakers, as the wheels are the same. Check on ebay and the like, you should be able to find 7 for under £100, then just put your winter tyres on.

7. aba

aba

do all the tyres really need to be changed as i cant see any benefit in changing the 4 rears as they don't supply the traction.

8. wivvy's dad

wivvy's dad Read Only Funster

There was a Youtube link somewhere which shows that in fact it's the rear tyres that need to be either new, or need winter tyres the most....something to do with the rear breaking away sooner with worn tyres/non winter tyres.

But I can't find the link.................:Doh:

9. moandick

moandick Read Only Funster

Winter tyres marked with M&S are essential in several EU Countries <see here> and 'Honest John' in the Telegraph states quite specifically that winter tyres can out perform 4 wheel drives when used correctly.

Whilst stationed in Germany, we had to have all tyres M&S as well as carrying and using chains.

Dick

10. aba

aba

seems unusual with a front wheel drive tag as the rears just want to go straight though i could be mistaken.

the biggest thing i found with mine last winter was the need for momentum to get up hills without spinning the front wheels you really feel to be going quicker than you probably would like to.
    mind you have to be going fast enough to keep the tread clear on the tyres too.

11. aba

aba

just looked at that link it seems to be aimed at cars and vehicles under 3500kg

12. Simba

Simba Read Only Funster

Spoke to my son who goes to Germany and Austria quite often during the winter months, apparently the above is correct, more so for Austria he said you will get away with normal tyres in Germany as long as you have snow chains. He said he had to buy winter tyres and store others then get them changed back in the spring.
    Bill

13. SteveandSue

SteveandSue Funster

Tyres

We have Snow tyres that we bought to go to Austria 2 years ago- I seem to think that they had to have the snow flake symbol to comply with their regulations.
    We did swop tyres on our wheels the first year but we had a blow out from rough handling by our tyre fitter ( on our summer tyres) so we now have spare wheels, we bought them on line.
    Our tyres are Verdastein winter tyres and this will be our 3rd winter with them so would reccomend them.

14. mogbl

mogbl Funster

Thanks all that replied.

Our problem is we intend to go down to Austria for the whole winter season. then head further afield after that. So we will need winter tyres compulsory 1st November till 15th April on all vehicles. Changing them will not be an option unless we return to Ireland which will probably be as dear as the tyres if not more so.

Can we use them all year round even whilst travelling in hot countries?