Winter tyres I got an answer (1 Viewer)

Sep 28, 2010
Castletownbere West Cork
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
11 years
After a lot of searching of websites and forums trying to find out what tyres I would have to have for the Austrian winter, 1st November to 15th April. I got a very quick response from Mitchelin. Now I know full blown winter tyres would be best but for me that would be £1140.00 cheapest I found, six tyres.
I would not be in a position to change back after Austria as we intend to go further afield. I have Mitchelin Camping tyres.

Thank you for your enquiry about the suitability of mud and snow camping tyres in Austria.

We can confirm that the mud and snow marking on the Agilis Camping tyres conforms to European winter tyre laws. Please be aware however that some countries have a legal requirement that for the tyre to be classed as a winter tyre the tread depth must be 4mm or above. When the tread depth drops to below 4mm then the tyre is classed as a summer tyre and therefore the M+S marking is no longer applicable.

Should you require any further assistance please contact us on 0845 366 1590 (UK & NI) or 0044 (0) 1782 401590 (ROI), quoting the reference number above.

Hope this helps anybody who was as confused as I was

Richard

free 2 roam

Free Member
Jan 17, 2010
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On/off since 1976
Hi Richard

I have been looking for winter tyres for our usual December trip to Germany. As our trip will be less than 2000 miles each year, I have purchased a set of spare rims (via Ebay) so that I can easily change wheels for the trip. This leads to the point that the tyres are going to get little wear so I am purchasing the MPC tyre 225/75 R16 118/116Q from Broken Link Removed. The spec matches size, load and speed rating of my Mitchelin camping tyres and from the details I have read regarding their construction, they appear to be a good quality remould produced by the Marangoni Group ( www.marangoni.com )

Including delivery I have been quoted under £67 per tyre - then need to get them fitted.

John

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
very useful info there, especially the tread depth info, for anyone venturing to ski resorts this winter Richard

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Hi, we have M + S tyres and use them all year, Its OK having them fitted on other rims but how many years are you going to keep using them. :Smile: We change our tyres every 5 years and we have never worn a set of tyres out and we do high mileage in our van.
I would recommend anyone who goes to Rallies or uses CL / CS sites to have them fitted, they make a lot of difference, we towed our Trailer / Car in 6" of snow two years ago from Suffolk all the way through France in January no problem at all.:thumb: Bob.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back