Winter tyres... higher insurance premium.. ?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by scotjimland, Dec 11, 2010.

1. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

I can't understand this ....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-11969958

2. Landy lover

Landy lover Funster

Possibly as tyre speed ratings change and more aggressive tyres have poor road manners so more risk of high speed accident. Another point worth thinking of is when people more facitilities or equipment on board they always seem to drive within them ie traction control abs ACE etc . and therefore take higher risks

3. keith

keith Funster

4. freelanderuk

freelanderuk Read Only Funster

just been on breakfast news that insurance companys should not be charging more

5. Stewart J

Stewart J Funster

Interesting report on BBC breakfast TV this morning on this subject, ended with insurance association chappie suggesting they had got it wrong! :Angry:

6. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

I see that the report says "The mistake is being blamed on insurance company call centres, where not all staff may be aware of the safety implications."

Looks like another case of companies giving call centre operators an ill thought out and ill designed script instead of training them properly.

Graham

7. Ralph-n-Bev

Ralph-n-Bev Funster

Hope this is the case. We have just bought some , and some 2nd hand wheel rims to put them on . :Doh:

We made our yearly trip to the "Vale of Pickering" Christmas lights switch on last week. ( Lovely as usual BTW.)
    The roads were OK but after a few days on the site , we had to be dragged off the hard standing.:Blush:

So , snow chains and new snow tyres are on the way , ready for our trip up to Aviemore on Boxingday for the Hogmany.
    Just incase.
    Saying that,
    theres no snow at all now where we live now .
    Not even in the fields at the back, blue sky sunshine and 7 deg at 9.30am :Cool:

8. Sundowners

Sundowners Funster Life Member

As I am led to believe--------in parts of Europe----you are compelled to use 'winter' tyres during the winter----so new cars are sold with two sets of wheels !!!!!! IF you had to pay extra ins. while running winter tyres----you should only pay it for half the year !!!!!!!!!!:Doh:
    Nigel

9. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

For many years an Austrian friend has run a buisness changing and storing winter-summer tyres.He stres your tyres when not in use,therefore saving the expence of 2 sets of rims.I think winter tyres are compulsery as are snowchains.

10. Douglas

Douglas Read Only Funster

Is simple really, its just an other variation on the theme of "RIP OFF BRITAIN" I don't believe for one minute that was done in error, it was, and is deliberate scheme on the part of the insurance companies to squeeze a bit more profit out of the public.

Doug...

11. Gonewiththewind

Gonewiththewind Read Only Funster

Name and shame the company. Wouldn't surprise me if it wasn't SAGA they charge for every little thing. Try telling them you have a tow-bar (sharp intake of breath) and Bull-Bars (dont want to know you). They wanted to increase my premiums for the
    Solar Panel, The Sat Dish and even got tetchy when I said that I had removed the fixed table and replaced it with an Island Table. Not manufactures original speck.

Don

12. Northerner

Northerner Read Only Funster

Oh dear, out come the conspiracy theorists! Insurance companies will not be charging more for people who fit winter tyres. This was simply a typical example of insurance companies calculating their costs by simple formulas. The call-centre staff, on learning that a modification had been made, applied the same charges that they would apply if, for instance, you'd had your engine chipped.

The automated processes that they use reduce costs dramatically but occasionally cannot cope with the occasional 'non-standard' policy amendment.

If every one of us could talk to a qualified insurance broker whenever we open a policy or amend one we will all pay much more.

The important thing is that, when this has been pointed out, the industry has reacted swiftly and made sure that there will be no charges for winter tyres. Let's face it, hundreds of people suddenly deciding that they'll buy winter tyres is a new phenomenon brought about by two harsh winters on the run.

I used to insure three vehicles with a typical old-fashioned organisation where you could phone up and talk to the broker and get just what you want and they would never have made an error such as this. However, this firm's renewal cost, starting last week, was £1700. By going on-line and using companies that have call centres I am now paying £1030, a saving of £670.

For that kind of reduction I shall put up with call centres manned by less experienced individuals! We can't have it both ways!