Winter trip to Spain and Portugul (1 Viewer)

Dec 7, 2014
Arnside
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
5 years
Although we've been motorhoming for few years and covered quite a bit of Europe we have never been away in the winter. This year we are planing to Spain and Portugal, departing mid January. We were planning to enter Spain via Biarritz and then follow the coast all the way round to end up in the Algarve. Sort of following the A8 West virtually to the West coast the turn South on the AP9. We will use the Motorways where appropriate. I kind of assumed that sticking close to the coast, the weather, snow and ice wise at least, wouldn't be a problem but I thought it wise to run it past 'those who know' before firming up plans. What do you think?
It appears that most motorhomes go Biarritz, Burgos, Salamanca but that looks like there is some high ground and therefore real potential for snow in January. I would be really grateful for any advice or previous experience of the likelyhood of snow and ice on this route and are there campsites and/or aires open January and February.
Thanks in anticipation
Bill

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hello Bill a Welcome to Fun, have a good trip. :welc:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Biarritz to Burgos to Salamanca by motorway is travelled by trucks and cars and buses all year around...

True, I haven't done this in winter for a few years now but I always used to, often...

Never had any problem with snow etc.

JJ :cool:

Nov 28, 2007
Funster No
We have done that route quite a few times over the past 10 years and done it in January about 5 times now, the only place we have seen snow is at Beja but that was just a dusting at the highest spot.

If snow is forecast you will see snow ploughs at the side of the road every 10 miles or so just standing by in case. The only time we have seen serious snow is at Dunkirk 2 years ago in March but we were at the ferry port so no problem.

Reactions: JJ
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
If you want decent warm weather you'd be best going down to Valencia & following coast around clockwise . friend did it your way some years back & by the time he arrived here he wasn't happy !

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Ed Excel

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Started 2007
Get yourself down to SE Spain. Almeria has the only desert-like region of Europe. Rainfall can be as little as 200mm in a whole year. Always meant to try Portugal in the winter, but I don't windsurf anymore

Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
Hi Bill and welcome,I have done the trip several times in recent years,normally leaving France in January and I live close to the N10 which goes right down to the border and never encountered any seriously bad weather.France always have snow ploughs on alert on the N10 and now the new section after Bordeaux to the border is Autoroute I saw the new yards with trucks and sand at the ready,the same coming through Spain as far down as Salamanca.
However this year I left the Charente about a week ago and two days ago was in Salamanca ,on the way we encountered snow at the sides of the roads,some fog and the morning we left Salamanca the EHU lead was frozen to the ground and the roads were icy in places.

I guess all I can say is nobody can be sure what the weather will do at any given time,even the forecasters haha.
That said I do check meteo daily and adjust my routes accordingly if necessary.

Parcverger

Funster - Campsite Owner
Aug 13, 2007
Parc Verger - Limousin
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
8 years
Assuming you are coming through France, you can come down the A20 and be sure of a stopover and warm welcome here at Parc Verger - we are open all year, and you'll get a Funster discount. Then you can time the rest of your journey to fit with the weather forecasts!!!
Bob
www.parcverger.com

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
Super Aire in Palencia,just been enlarged,if you are coming B--/Salamanca way,Portugal is one big Aire,wherever you are,plenty of nice quiet p[laces to pull in for the night. It WILL rain in P/gal so you have been warned,but it is warm rain LOL.
Enjoy your trip down and back,have fun.
Tea Bag

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
We planned, and started, a similar trip as the OP same time couple of years ago but the weather turned nasty almost as soon as we crossed into Spain and the forecast was not good. We tried but after a couple of cold wet days we gave up and headed for the south coast. Last year we decided for the best chances for the weather, which is what we go for, we'd head south straight away and then head back north as the weather improved. Worked for us.

You're always at the mercy of the weather though - our advice watch the forecasts and be flexible.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back