Jan 20, 2014
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Hi
Recently joined so first posting.
Not new to a motorhome however not travelled abroad with our van only camping many years ago.
Any suggestions where we could go to for a 15 - 18 day trip to get some winter sun. My wife suffers from Rheumatoid Arthritis & the damp weather in the UK is bad for her health so a trip overseas where its a lot warmer would help a lot. Suggestions on ferry crossings & routes would be appreciated. Would it be feasible to travel within the 15 - 18 days?

Many thanks.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
If it's winter, i.e. Jan/Feb, sun you're after, generally you'll need to get to southern Spain. It is doable in your timescale but to avoid hours of driving you should really look at a ferry to Santander/Bilbao then you've only 2 days to drive south. Spanish motorways are generally very good and a toll free route is easy enough to find - been a couple of posts recently.

Upvote 0

LAM

Apr 23, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640 Welcome
Exp
Began with the purchase of our first, ever MH in 2014
:cooler: Havn't done the journey yet (planned for next year), but the journey down to Southern Spain can be driven in a day from Bilbao via motorway

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I am guessing you are still working and time restricted... If so I would negotiate for a longer holiday ....

I can get down to Benidorm in 2 days...but still would not consider it for just a few weeks. Tend to go for 6 weeks at a time but last year only had a month..it was fine had a great time and returned relaxed and suntanned, but considering fuel and tunnel cost I would not consider it for a shorter period. I dont think you wife will feel the health benefit with such a short visit anyway...Sorry

Upvote 0

jaykay

Free Member
Aug 19, 2011
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 997M Auto
Exp
Virtually none ! :)
This is interesting, and also surprising. I am a newbie so have no experience of motorhoming abroad.

I would have thought with four days driving each way, ten days relaxing in the sun would be well worth it. Unfortunately I will be looking for holidays of this duration next year as I still have many years of working full time.
According to google, Calais to Benidorm is 16 hrs driving so four days seems reasonable?

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
I certainly would not like to do it in 16hrs I would agree 4hrs per day more than enough and it's nice to look at the scenery sometimes.:party2:

Upvote 0

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Hi, anything is do able, its down to cost, when I worked 2 or 3 weeks was great, even then it was Christmas flights expencive accommodation expencive and so on. :)

When you have all the time in the world, things are different, and the longer you stay the cheaper it becomes, :D the other thing is, they call it winter sun !
But in the 5 months we had last year we had
2 full days of rain and 13 nights when it rained, in the month we have been here its raining today and might be tomorrow............. But it could rain the whole time your here. :cry:
But the odds change over a longer period, but then you could have wonderful weather like most years, our daughter comes out in January let's hope its nice. (y)

I would say the costa blanca is far enough, but the sites were full last year, the site we are on is full January and anything like last year until the end of March. :eek:

Only you can decide. (y) Bob and Janie.

Upvote 0

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
What do you mean?

what am I supposed to do for the other 18 hours in the day X 4 in a cold and desolate France/northern spain? Have left here on a monday and been swimming in the pool wednesday lunchtime. Really see no sense in hanging around in winter......not talking about in season touring here..just a run to the sun?

Upvote 0

jaykay

Free Member
Aug 19, 2011
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 997M Auto
Exp
Virtually none ! :)
what am I supposed to do for the other 18 hours in the day X 4 in a cold and desolate France/northern spain? Have left here on a monday and been swimming in the pool wednesday lunchtime. Really see no sense in hanging around in winter......not talking about in season touring here..just a run to the sun?

I see now, thanks. I thought you were suggesting that 4 hours driving was to much! I guess its easy to just drive as long as you feel like it and then stop. I am looking forward to having that sort of freedom :)

Upvote 0

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I see now, thanks. I thought you were suggesting that 4 hours driving was to much! I guess its easy to just drive as long as you feel like it and then stop. I am looking forward to having that sort of freedom :)

my take on it is this. I drive all morning as long as I can with the odd coffee break. stop for a proper lunch break. drive on until feeling I have had enough. find somewhere convenient to stay via sat nav. preferably near civilisation so I can spend a few hours drinking and eating to get over the trials of the day..get a good nights sleep. Basically the sooner I can get there the better in winter..

Upvote 0
Jan 8, 2014
Emsworth
Funster No
MH
Bailey 740
Exp
Last March we had 21 days to get to Manilva near Gibralter, we never used any toll roads and visited friends in Montpon on the way through.

We visited Pamplona for a morning, and then stopped at Zaragoza but did not visit. We then drove all the way to Gibralter and had 6 days followed by 3 nights at carhenga and 2 nights at Benidorm.

Are we doing this again "yes'. But with the following exceptions,
1 ferry to Santander and drive to beni.

2. Min 1 mth .

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
This is interesting, and also surprising. I am a newbie so have no experience of motorhoming abroad.

I would have thought with four days driving each way, ten days relaxing in the sun would be well worth it. Unfortunately I will be looking for holidays of this duration next year as I still have many years of working full time.
According to google, Calais to Benidorm is 16 hrs driving so four days seems reasonable?
Being as its about 1300 miles from Calais to Benidorm thats some driving. I would imagine with a motorhome 3 days would be glogging it a bit.I to am riddled with R.A. Been doing Spain in van for eleven years now and what a difference the Med climate makes to me. I was on sticks eleven years ago,,,can cycle and walk for miles now. Mind you we are out for over half the year. BUSBY:)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ed Excel

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Started 2007
We booked to Santander last January, trying to avoid snow in France on previous trips. Turned out to be wishful thinking. The BofB was upside down so the ferry only went as far as St Malo. However, running down the West coast probably kept us out of any bad weather. And, if you need to be there quickly, St Malo to Cartagena took two days, using motorways where available.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Just a couple of hours on an aircraft pick a car at the airport and you have all the freedom you could desire. Sorted...........;)

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I look at anything less than 800kms /day as I'm not making progress. :LOL:

Did that for 40 years week in week out. Prefer to take it easy now, relax and smell the daisies ...Enjoy the journey and finish the day as relaxed as when it started. BUSBY:)

Upvote 0

PORKSTER

Free Member
Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning
unfortunatly not everyone has months on end to travel I went for 3 weeks and had great time on way home I enjoyed the days and traveled from tea time to midnight worked for us.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back