Winter Storage

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by sealski, Sep 13, 2012.

1. sealski

sealski Read Only Funster

Apologies if this has already been asked, but I am now thinking about putting the motorhome into storage for the winter. I understand all the checks that are needed for the habitation area (draining water etc.) but should I leave the van with a full tank of diesel? The van will be in storage from End Of October to Easter next year,

2. normanandsue

normanandsue Funster

This may not be the answer to your question and it is not good to answer a question with a question but, is shutting up your mh for the winter really necessary? Personally I feel it is a false economoy.
    An engine is always better if used and the habitation area is better for the occasional airing that an outing even in winter provides.
    Tyres deteroriate less if the vehicle is moved and avoids flat spots and cracked side walls through standing, brakes are less likely to sieze on and occasional use ensures the engine is liberally oiled.
    I am sure there are many other good reasons to keep you mh used in winter if only for a day trip somewhere.
    I work every weekend and so throughout the year my mh would often stand unused, so I try take it for a run once a fortnight and if not once a month. I confess I have had no problems and far less than other funsters who seem to have when they "open up" at Easter.

Norman

3. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

I personally prefer my weekends away in the winter.

Nothing better than being in a cosy motorhome with the wind howling and the rain bouncing off the roof:thumb:

• Like Like x 3
  4. alfandM

alfandM Funster

yes there is no problem to leave diesel in your tank, i would fill her up, if the storage is safe enough, that will stop any condensation build up in side your tank resulting with water problems when you use it again next year,plus you might be in pocket next year?:thumb: