Winter question [sorry...] (1 Viewer)

Jan 19, 2012
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
We bought our van in Jan this year and left it empty and drained until first use in March. Have to admit when the exceptionally hard frosts were on I put a convector heater in there 'just in case'.

This year we intend using it once a month over winter and so don't want to empty it out. I've hooked it up to mains and set the Eberspacher heater on to 'Frost'. Fresh and waste tanks drained but not the blue 'pump tank' or whatever it's called, so as to allow the heater to work. Looking at the max/min thermometer I have in there [with an external sensor ziptied to the bike rack...] it was 36 outside and 42 inside last night. Today I've opened all cupboard doors and upended the seat cushions to allow for airflow. Will this be enough? Or do I have to empty everything out? And if anyone has a similar heater, I'd be curious about the likely cost over winter!

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
We do similar

We do very similar... but we have a couple of tube heaters running all the time.. last night inside the RV was 49 degree... much much colder outside.

We also have a dehumidifier on timer.

Cupboards are all open to allow airflow... we have up ended all the cushions... although we have it totally unloaded as it is up for sale, we have done this each year and left dry food and tins as well as bedding and clothes inside plastic boxes... all OK past 4 years.

I do check it regularly and run the engine up

once every three weeks or so I take it out to keep it all going.

Bob

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
As a precaution I would open all the taps, and if the water heater has not got an auto dump valve on it, drain that too :Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
E
Jan 19, 2012
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
Yess..but I assume it's the water heater that heats the central heating as well isn't it? Assumed that if I wanted to use the heater on frost-free setting I couldn't drain it.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I would check rather than presume..
I am sure you are right, but better to be safe than sorry :thumb:

OP
OP
E
Jan 19, 2012
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
Just found out that Eberspacher are at the Motorhome show that I'm visiting tomorrow! Will interrogate them at length...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back