Winter precautions Autotrail

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Paramotormanal, Sep 25, 2012.

1. Paramotormanal

Paramotormanal Read Only Funster

Good morning chaps I have a Autotrail Chieftain and as we are approaching our first winter I wondered what precautions I should take.

First of all we use the campervan most weeks as I have all my flying equipment on board the last van we had was a LMC Liberty and that seemed to cope with the freezing conditions, it also had the water heater with a dump valve so it protected it against freezing up I have not seen one in this van does anyone know if they have one.

When we go flying we use the camper as a mess room making drinks etc so ideally I would prefer to carry water around does anyone know if the on board water tanks are insulated the LMC was so I never emptied them, the year of the Autotrail is 2005 cheers Alan.

2. knokinonabit

knokinonabit Funster

Go on the Autotrail web site (www.auto-trail.co.uk) and go into contacts where you will find phone numbers etc. They will answer your queries straight away.
    They will require the build number of the MH which is usually a sticker on the PSU (power supply unit). It will probably be a five digit hand written number.

Hope that is some help.

3. SC 05 OUT

SC 05 OUT Funster

the tanks are not insulated as standard, however there are aftermarket kits to have fitted, try cak tanks http://www.caktanks.co.uk/

edit: dont read the post correctly they are not heated is what I ment to say, they have a thin layer of polystrean, around the fresh tank, not sure on the grey?

Last edited: Sep 25, 2012
  4. Paramotormanal

Cheers, funny though I would have thought all makes of campervans would be "winterised" if that is a word so you could use them all year round.

5. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

Don't believe those salesmen and glossy brochures!:Angry:

I'm afraid to say your German-made LMC was a better proposition for winter use.

In general, British vans, even with a 'winter pack', won't cut it away from hookup in prolonged sub-zero temperatures.

Mind you, are you mad enough to fly in those conditions?!!!!!

Last edited: Sep 25, 2012
  6. Paramotormanal

Definitely we fly right through winter that's why I take the campervan hot soup and all lol

• Like Like x 1