winter MH trip to Largs Scotland

Discussion in 'UK Touring' started by campa cola, Feb 12, 2014.

1. campa cola

campa cola Funster

Yes....really a winter trip in the next few weeks :Doh: Already ordered the Waxoyl to improve salt resistance on the MH :RollEyes:

Can anyone give me advice of where to go from Largs west of Glasgow, on the west coast north or South ?
    Interested in cultural stuff, good views and not to much walking (especially in this weather).

Any good recommended wild camping sites are Ok (you can PM me if you like) preferably where I can use a gennie :Eek!:

TIA for any recommendations :thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  2. MHVirgins

MHVirgins

We lived in Largs for 4 years before we moved away, we spent a weekend at the CL at Whittlieburn a while back, but we wouldn't go back to there.

But you're a brave man to want to wild camp around there in this weather. The ferry is probably sitting on the pier as we speak and all the sand bags will be up against the shop fronts:Doh:

We used to travel to work from Largs to IBM in Greenock during the winter months.....that coastal road got very interesting:cry:

Some people used to wild camp in the car park opposite the Cardwell Garden Centre, near Inverkip, if we can think of anywhere else will PM you.

Margaret & Bill

3. Judo Chop

Judo Chop Funster

Hi

I have wild camped in the car park at Largs Yacht Haven, just beyond Largs , Morrisons supermarket close by and restaurant in the Haven.

Or take the roll on roll off ferry to the island of Cumbrae ( see Caledonian Macbrayne website for prices) takes about 20 minutes views are amazing. Has the Smallest Cathedral in the world and plenty of spaces to wild camp.

Or Troon harbour looking towards Ireland. Head for Troon marina and keep going, little car park on left past cottages. There is a very rustic seafood restaurant and chippy owned and run by the fishing boats. Really fresh stuff.

Any more info just shout. As these are my local haunts.

Jim:thumb:

4. irnbru

irnbru Funster Life Member

We are sitting here parked up at Troon harbour. Very wet n windy. Looking out the window I see another mh parked up beside us. Is it another funster. Chippy round the corner is fab and while waiting on ouf order I saw 2 seals in the harbour.

• Like Like x 5
  5. sdc77

sdc77 Funster

We're on our way back from that neck of the woods.. In fact we were eating fried haggis from the viking chippy 2 days ago. Great area (if you have a dog visit the brown bull at Lochwinnoch) .. But we stayed over at Loch Lomond and just travelled in the Greenock / Largs area.. No real snow yet.. But its gotta be on the way soon. Have a great time.

• Like Like x 2
  6. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Lochwinnoch .. :BigGrin: lovely village.. I was born and brought up there.. still miss it after all these years.. but when I last visited to see my dad in 2012 it had changed a lot..

The fields I used to play on next to the Calder River are now built over, dormitories for well heeled townies.. .. (they always flood in winter:RollEyes: ) Gone is the 'village' atmosphere , I felt like a stranger.. but sadly no family left there now.. all dead.. so no real reason to go back .. :Sad:

We used to play, canoe and ice skate in winter on Castle Semple Loch, it now has a water center with facilities and parking.
    Muirshiel Country Park is well worth a visit ..

I still have family in Largs .. nice town, full of retirees , God's waiting room for the well off..

Last edited: Feb 16, 2014
    • Like Like x 3
  7. MHVirgins

MHVirgins

Having lived in Largs for 4 years whilst working in IBM at Spango Valley, we always like to make a trip back every now and again. We used to queue up at a chippy on the front, looking out towards the pier......can't remember the name of it, but it was a good one, we're wondering whether it may be the same one and they've changed the name over the years.

We used to drive round to the Pencil and park in the car park next to the marina.........good views out to the Cumbrae and you can watch the ferries going back and forwards whilst we ate our fish and chips and a haggis supper:BigGrin: Happy days and happy memories of Largs for our family:thumb:

Margaret

Last edited: Feb 16, 2014
    • Like Like x 2
  8. Trikimiki

Trikimiki Read Only Funster

Culture Vulture

If your into culture, the city of Glasgow is worth a day trip or two, The once second city of the empire. The Museum and art gallery is a must, the transport museum is a maybe, architecture second to none, Macintosh house etc etc.

Then off to places as described by Jim Lochwinnoch 15 mins away, then into Largs over the country route and down heelie Brae, thats fun, plus great views over the firth of Clyde, sadly car park at top of the Brae has a height restriction.

• Like Like x 2
  9. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Not forgetting the fabulous, not to be missed Burrell Collection .. Admission free. :Smile:

also a ride on the Clockwork Orange .. Glasgow underground ..

Glasgow has so much to offer the visitor.. . A shame that many hasten past on the mate in their rush to The Highlands.

Much more and far better than that village (spit) on the east coast with the castle. :Wink:

• Like Like x 5
  10. Trikimiki

Trikimiki Read Only Funster

Did I mention I do free tours of the City.:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

11. SilverF1

SilverF1 Funster

There's always the Burns Museum at Alloway on the south side of Ayr to visit.

If you need an overnight stop (or two), there's a car park in Ayr, just south of the River Ayr. It's at the junction of The Esplanade and Cromwell Street. We've used it a few times round Hogmanay. There's even a few large bushes to shelter behind, if it's blowing a gale off the sea, on the esplanade side.

• Like Like x 2
  12. geo glasgow

geo glasgow Read Only Funster

i think that was probably us..... strange,

my wee journal my kid makes up on her notepad states we were there
    we pulled away about 10.00 drove and parked up at barrasie bay 2 mins along road,, then 1 motorhome pulled up next to us i mean really close ,,
    great place in the summer, if anyones down there let me know,, the harbour chippy makes the best true italian pizza i have ever tasted old italian couple and there kids that have ran it for 30 years,...:thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  13. geo glasgow

north of largs for the night great spot,

Ab:Smile:ut 1 mile north of largs theres a large new build house on the right you cant miss it about 5 years old, accross from that theres a large laybuy overlooks the clyde,
    always a motorhome most times there plenty room for about 5 m/homes,
    small path lead to the rock pools and a wee beach near not great but quiet ,
    nothing around . fishing is possible but im sure a pass is available not sure,
    h:Sad:wever be aware if its windy and very very rainy forget it it can be mental waves and high winds,, take care and maybe see ya around,

• Like Like x 1
  14. geo glasgow

8 National Route 7, Ayr, Scotland, United Kingdom

8 National Route 7, Ayr, Scotland, United Kingdom
    put this in google maps great car park and beach is great,, very private,
    normaly locals only dont mind some even talk to you and some have there own motorhomes parked up in there drives ,

• Like Like x 2
  15. geo glasgow

what about a super Electic pitch at craig tara 30/3/14

for £20 with use of facility's and electric hook up,. Bargain for night
    might book that myself for me the wife and the twins,, says live entertainment
    bar lounge swimming pool and cafes ,,, start of there season,,,,
    aye know aye know , its no roughing it wild but theres a first time for everything,

• Like Like x 1
  16. irnbru

Don't think it was you George unless you were in a silver Campervan. Did you leave Sat? We arrived Sat lunchtime. Is the harbour chippy that makes pizzas ar Barassie as its not where we eat at Troon harbour...they don't do pizzas, nor sausage suppers:Sad: but a fish supper at £6.95 feeds both mum and I.:thumb:

17. geo glasgow

nest to the frass before the gates to harbour.

late saturday wind and rain picked up lucky i never went long road up greenock due to my bearing and wheel problem,,, :thumb:
    ducato auro-trail with dome satellite first regy is LIG *** if your around west coast il see ya there,, repairs this weekend,,, the following im on the fife coast from burnisland to st andrews,,,,

• Like Like x 1
  18. Tobym

Tobym Funster

Think it was probably us that was parked up. We arrived later in the afternoon and parked up at the further away car park and moved up later on to the first car park.

19. irnbru

Yep, it was you. We noticed you had moved up. Had a wee look on your windows as we walked past looking for a motorhome fun sticker but never saw any.

Next time we see you be sure to say hello.:Smile: