Winter in the sun

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Stevie12, Oct 20, 2015.

1. Stevie12

Stevie12 Funster Life Member

Hi, looking to spend the winter in MH down on the South coast of Spain, any suggestions on a route from the south coast of England through France and then Spain? Any recommendations on campsites to stay when we get there? Many thanks.

2. Hagstrom

Hagstrom Funster

Hi Stevie,

There are lots of routes through France/Spain discussed on this site (search Threads and Resources Section) and places to stay en route are also suggested.

We favour the western route through France paying tolls to Abbeville, around Tours/Poitiers and, of course south of Bordeaux (where it can be madness to try non-tolled routes), and then C121A, Teruel/Valencia/Murcia/Almeria mostly non-tolled dual carriageways) route through Spain.

To stay at campsites as economically as possible, join ACSI Discount Camping Club before you go. Vicarious Books will be issuing 2016 directories membership cards in early December and will post them out to a Spanish address if required.

Also take French and Spanish Aires Books also available from Vicarious Books. They will save a fortune and may take you to some great places.

Once there, staying within the 20mile coastal strip will get you the best weather, all the way from Valencia to Lisbon. However, many of the nicer environments are not directly on the coasts.

Norman

• Like Like x 4
  3. PhilandMena

PhilandMena Funster

These two links will help you with your routes. The N10 route through France is very popular. No need to stop at campsites, plenty of Aires/overnight stops on way down. Suggest you use the recommended combination of some tolls to save on overall costs and time. It's all in the link.
    Safe travels.
    http://about-france.com/travel.htm
    http://about-spain.net/travel/map.htm

• Like Like x 1
  4. PhilandMena

PhilandMena Funster

I thought I would mention that the area of Murcia (Benidorm area) in Spain is regarded as the best place to overwinter. This is because the Murcia mountains hold back the rain and keep the area quite dry. Also, as you move further south it does not get that much warmer but it does start to get wetter due to the Atlantic weather systems coming in from the.........Atlantic.
    Many funsters overwinter in the benidorm area, there are some great campsites with long term deals and good transport links up and down the coast. As for Benidorm in the winter, well it's simple fantastic. cheap, plenty of entertainment, great beach and lot's of like minded brits enjoying the sun.

• Like Like x 3
  5. brynric

brynric Funster

We spent January & February in Spain (mainly) a couple of years ago. We largely followed YJ55NXC's routes and quite agree with his comments. The weather was foul in January and we rushed through France and N Spain to beat the rain. We spent quite a lot on tolls but much quicker.
    At Zaragoza the weather suddenly improved, we stayed at the municipal site. Agree again with the comments re Murcia. It was windy but mainly dry for several weeks. We spent some time touring rather than months on a site which is the popular pattern. There seemed to be a range of "commercial aires" which were very good and sometimes very popular. They had limited parking like standard aires but often campsite like facilities. And they were more expensive. On the whole, all good sites & easy driving. We didn't think we'd like the big sites but they were fine.
    On our way back we stayed nearer the coast, crossed into France in the south and travelled up past Carcasson etc.
    Altogether a great tour which we'll certainly repeat when circumstances allow.

6. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

not by everyone.. and certainly not by us .. Benidorm is not what everyone is looking for.. but it is no doubt popular..

the weather further south around Almeria is just as dry and perhaps even warmer.. Tabarnas in the mountains behind Almeria is where some of the spaghetti westerns were shot.. sunniest, driest place in Spain..

we overwintered at Roquetas camping.. it's a mixed site.. popular with Dutch and Germans .

Last edited: Oct 20, 2015
    • Like Like x 3
  7. xsparks

xsparks Funster

Where can you find YJ55NXC's routes? please.

8. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

Look for @tonka route:)

Covers everything

Last edited: Oct 20, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  9. GWG

GWG Funster

Please elaborate ! Why would it be "Madness" to go Non-tolled routes south of Bordeaux. . Please

10. rosalan

rosalan Funster

South of Bordeaux is rarely a problem unless you try taking some of the high passes across the Pyreneese. I always set my Satnav to avoid toll roads but if you are in a hurry or the whole country is under snow then the Autoroutes can make sense.
    Pamploma.... Zaragoza.... Valencia is the most common route and is free.

11. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

Looking at the map you can go D1010/D834/D824 to avoid the toll motorway but I suspect so do x million trucks heading for Spain.

• Like Like x 1
  12. PhilandMena

PhilandMena Funster

I use most of the A63 from bordeaux without having to pay the tolls. On the way down, exit at Jct 18 and rejoin at 17 saving around €11-12. (the detour is straight forward and takes about 1/2 hour. I exit again at Castets and overnight at Saint Geours De Maremne (no toll fare paid yet) I then take the D810 and join the A63 near the bottom and pay a couple of euros at each toll booth before crossing the boarder and taking the N121-a to Pamplona. In total, I pay about 5-6 Euros. The very bottom part of the A63 is worth paying, going of the motorway is simple not worth the hassle.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

Because sometimes there is no fast N road alterative... Your money your choice!

14. PhilandMena

PhilandMena Funster

This year, returning from Portugal in April we came into France between San-Sebastian - Saint Jean De Luz using non toll roads. We chose non toll roads because it was a Sunday and thought we would sail through. It was a nightmare, just too much traffic and all going at a snails pace, cyclist, Motorhomes, cars, locals going shopping etc. It took us a very long time to travel a few K's and we learnt our lesson. If we had used the peage we would have completed that section in minutes. Travelling in either direction on week days is the same, the roads are stuffed with traffic. I guess that's why all the guides recommend using the A63 at the bottom end simply to avoid heavy. slow traffic.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Billy23

Billy23 Funster

Yes I tried that route, NEVER again. I was on my way to Corby.:)

• Like Like x 2
  16. jumartoo

jumartoo Funster

Post #2 above.

17. PhilandMena

PhilandMena Funster

• Like Like x 1
  18. Teuchter

Teuchter Funster

Agreed - we have never tried Benidorm, we tour the coast from Murcia to the Algarve but really like the area around Almeria - we always spend some time at Camping Cabo de Gata - excellent site in a desert like area but walking/cycling distance of miles of deserted beach and a lovely small town with shops, bars and restaurants :)

We intend to try Roquetas in February 2016

• Like Like x 1
  19. TerryL

TerryL Funster

Actually the law in France regarding HGVs has been changed and if there is a nearby autoroute, even if it is a toll, HGVs MUST - alright are supposed to - use it (unless of course they are proceeding directly to their destination). As such many of the non-toll roads in France have become quieter apropos HGVs.

Unfortunately the D1010/D834?D824 route, though relatively free from the heavies, is almost always a nightmare and take it from me, who has done it a few times "because we're not in a rush" the cost to use the toll autoroute is peanuts compared to the aggro.

• Like Like x 2
  20. busby

busby Funster

Thats a saving of about £8.50p,,,not really going to change your life is it. BUSBY:):):)

• Like Like x 1