stephen wormald

Free Member
Jul 8, 2008
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
Coach built C
Exp
::bigsmile: Although we have been going to france for ten years in the summer we have never tryed Portugal in the winter can anyone give me some good free camping around the Algarve area. Thank alot

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
For the last 5 years we have wintered on the Algave with the exception of last winter when we went to Tenerife for 3 months as it was a really cold winter (by Algarve standards).

As a norm we see lowest of 5'c in the winter nights and a high of 22 mid day mid winter.

The farther East you go the stronger the winds with the area around Tavira being the mildest.

At this time of year its not a good idea to leave the coast to go to the mountains to the north as the temp drops very quickly with hight.

having said all that I would rarther spend a month on the Algave that 1 day in the UK.

Give it a go!!!

Doug...

ArenqueRojo

Free Member
Nov 10, 2008
Anywhere in Europe, so fa
Funster No
MH
A-class
Exp
13 years
This might suit you.
Lon: 37.066230 Lat: -8.808924
I think that is one of the larger pebbles on the beach.
Photo Feb '08
or there is the harbour at Fuzeta. Good luck
Patrick

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

RickB

Free Member
Jun 21, 2008
south devon uk
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
four years+
This might suit you.
Lon: 37.066230 Lat: -8.808924
I think that is one of the larger pebbles on the beach.
Photo Feb '08
or there is the harbour at Fuzeta. Good luck
Patrick

Thats Boca do Rio,i was moved off from there by park rangers last year, went away for a couple of days then returned didn't see the rangers again (only time i've been moved in portugal).
There are plenty of places to stay from calm Tavira (where the mayor appears to love motorhomes) to windy Sagres, start at either and you will find plenty of people to point you in the right direction:thumb:
Link Removed

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i had a mad frenchman smash up a truck battery behind my truck there earlier this year in march. think arenquerojo may have been there i seem to remember a le voyager.could be wrong. nice place been using it for years. lovely coast road to the right as you look on the map if you like dusty tracks. even better place along there but now it as no camping signs so i dont stop anymore. the mayor of tavira openly encouragaes campers a few years ago we got given tickets to a very pleasant piano acordian afternoon . artists from all over europe played ,was a real good show. free coffee etc as well. cant see that happening in uk somehow.

smifee

Free Member
Jun 18, 2008
chandler's ford
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
I don't like the clusters of MHs that you find wildcamping round the Algarve. I feel I might just as well be on a site.

It's the eastern Algarve & Alentjo for me. You don't need to be told of places to stop. There are thousands of spots to wildcamp. I don't stay anywhere for more than 2 nights. Most times when I stop I think I'm in the middle of nowhere but as it gets dark lights come on all around and being Portugal the dogs start barking.

The only places that you may need telling about are where to fill & dump.

I'm not prepared to post them on an open forum but if you are interested in the eastern Algarve/Alentjo send me a PM and I'll look up some sat nav co-ordinates.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
come on wouldnt have thought there is many places not known by thousands of travellers . been travelling portugal for many years like i say use a map from 1974. lots change lots places gone .but dont think there is many secret places anymore. there was a time you might meet a few others but now nortern europe must be empty in winter . you would think. cheers alan.

smifee

Free Member
Jun 18, 2008
chandler's ford
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
I go for a couple of months sometime during Jan - Apr. Haven't been for 2 years because of my walking companion dying but have a new dog now trained, chipped & passport ready to go.

During my 2 month trips the only time I see other MH's they are either gathered together in regular haunts, on the road when I'm driving or in supermarket car parks. I have never seen a lone van parked up in the sort of places I stop. I have also never seen another MH at the villages, without a MH cluster, that I stop at to dump & fill.

Hopefully the spread of mains water won't be as fast as the spread of new tarmac or the communal water taps will disappear.:Eeek:

From the reaction of the locals when I go into a village bar on a Saturday afternoon to watch live English Premier League football they don't see any other MHers.

RickB

Free Member
Jun 21, 2008
south devon uk
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
four years+
I go for a couple of months sometime during Jan - Apr. Haven't been for 2 years because of my walking companion dying but have a new dog now trained, chipped & passport ready to go.

During my 2 month trips the only time I see other MH's they are either gathered together in regular haunts, on the road when I'm driving or in supermarket car parks. I have never seen a lone van parked up in the sort of places I stop. I have also never seen another MH at the villages, without a MH cluster, that I stop at to dump & fill.

Hopefully the spread of mains water won't be as fast as the spread of new tarmac or the communal water taps will disappear.:Eeek:

From the reaction of the locals when I go into a village bar on a Saturday afternoon to watch live English Premier League football they don't see any other MHers.

Hi Smitee
I spend a lot of my time in the 'parque natural da serra de s.mamede' and rarely see another MH let alone a cluster,so like you i have novelty value for the locals in the village bar.
The village does have piped water but i still see a lot of people filing their bottles at the font, and the old people still do thier laundry there.

smifee

Free Member
Jun 18, 2008
chandler's ford
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Hi RickB

Sao Mamede is a bit too cold for me at the time I go. The lakes around Mourao are the furthest north I go until late March early April. I'm thinking of going Oct/Nov one year soon so Sao Mamede will be on the list.

I'm limited by a petsitting job I do in the New Forest every other week from late March to early October.

It's like stepping back in time going to the villages & the locals are so friendly. I nearly jumped out of my skin at one of the fonts. I was getting water to do the laundry and as I turned to go up the steps I was confronted by 3 huge bats all in black:Eeek:. Three of the old women had crept up behind me & were waiting to get water. They found it very funny that a man should be doing the laundry::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back