Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
To save all the hassle of draining down water systems between frosty spells,and for the convenience of being ready to go at any time have any of you used this kind of antifreeze ?

Link Removed
Any thoughts?

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Never seen this product before but wouldn't you have to flush it through before using for drinking water if so then i assume you would be quicker emptying in first place just a thought.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I wouldn't like to use it in the drinking water system without a thorough flush through. We've always just drained down well and then refilled when we go away a couple of weeks later.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Vlad The Impaler

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
Never drink water from tap anyway usually carry separate bottles for drinking.IWas just thinking that I may be able to use van in colder conditions ie sub zero temps without freezing up as its a Brit van not a continental.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We used our previous (Brit) Autoquest 100 in freezing conditions a number of times without any freezing problems. We always had hook-up and used a small oil-filled radiator overnight but that was as much for our comfort as anything else.

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
I don't allow water to stand in the tanks for more than a few days before I completely empty them (even in the summer). I don't like the idea of having a shower in water that has stood for weeks. Like you I use bottled water for drinking.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
this stuff is for long term winter storage....not for intermittent use.
you never get ALL the water out at draindown.

you generally need to drain down then introduce the antifreeze neat, pulling through the taps to ensure it is fully distributed.

come spring, you simply pump it back into its container for next year and completely flush whats left in the system with water.

many american dealers sell it in boxes of 6 x 1gallon containers due to the amount used.

http://www.marinepowerservice.com/BoatingStore/browse_detail3.cfm/productID/4295.cfm

Last edited:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
When we first had a van we drank from the tank but then stopped and started using a separate container which we filled from a tap. The reason we stopped was a TCP type taste resulting from cleaning tablets and/or cleaning fluid in a temporary supply.

Fine until Stratford show last year when water was delivered in a bowser - with some sort of cleaner in it :Doh:

So, we bought a filter jug from Asda and filter all our drinking water through that :thumb:

If the van has stood for more than a week, though, before a trip I drain the tank and refill it. If it has stood empty for a while over winter I'll use some cleaning tablets/solution and pump it through but otherwise the water system is fine.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
personally I'd never use it, think of the harm it could cause wherever you finally drop it. whilst you don't use the tank for drinking you do wash up from it. not worth the effort we always drain down and use bottled water in the winter.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back