Winter drawers on?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by WhiteCheyenneMan, Oct 18, 2011.

1. WhiteCheyenneMan

WhiteCheyenneMan Funster

I know many people use oil filled radiators to keep damp at bay during the winter but is there any reason, if my MH is kept plugged into the domestic mains, why I can't leave the van's blown air central heating on low throughout the winter? Go on tell me this is an old chestnut, I can take it :RollEyes:

2. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Simple I'd say, an oil filled radiator £50 to replace, a worn out central heating system £1500.

3. WhiteCheyenneMan

WhiteCheyenneMan Funster

I'd like to think that the central heating system would be robust enough, bearing in mind how many people go full-timing.
    But I don't want to gamble, so your response is very persuasive.
    Oil filled radiator it is then :thumb:

4. icantremember

icantremember Funster

Surely any form of heating will in fact increase the humidity in the van thereby causing possible mould.....
    IMO it is better to drain down anything that could freeze and ensure good ventilation throughout. Leave all internal lockers, cupboards and bed bases open.

5. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

For the first four winters since we bought our van I used to use a small oil filled radiator to keep the temperature above freezing (along with draining down and ventilating as Brian mentioned).

However, I started to question whether it was really worth it so last winter I didn't use it and had no problems at all - that included the 6 week November to January snows that we had with the coldest temperatures we've known here for many years.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Stephen & Jeannie

Stephen & Jeannie Read Only Funster

Mine is on as we speak !!! Not only that, but tonight will be my first night with my winter duvet ! The skinney summer one was was not man enough to keep me warm enough last night ! :Rofl1: :Rofl1: :Rofl1:

7. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Good point.

There is a problem, that bit of water trapped in a corner, like the corner of my shower valve, if it freezes, big problem.

Mind you, a few years ago I was in the van on Deeside at minus quite a bit and with me inside with heating on one pipe froze - the heating can't reach enclosed voids, just where the pipes run.

8. BritStops

BritStops Trader BritStop Owner

I'm with Graham; haven't had any trouble with moisture, damp or mould, etc. after two winter layups now, and never used a heater of any kind. I confess we didn't even open the storage cupboards or lift the cushions up.

I'm a big fan of benevolent neglect :Rofl1:

Will be trying out the heating for the first time next week I think, though, when we head up to Scotland for half term!

Steve