Winter destinations (1 Viewer)

May 1, 2009
SOUTH WOODHAM FERRERS
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Having wintered in Spain several times I am curious about doing the same in either-Sicily,Sardinia or Crete.Very early days,not looked in to it yet but do members have any thoughts on the idea ?

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
I can try to help with regards to Crete as we used to live there permanently and spend several months there each year. Let me know what's important to you - sites, weather, how to get there, which part of island (we know the South East very well but not so much the West) and I'll try to answer your questions. We plan to be there for a few months this winter but will be in our apartment as opposed to the MH.

OP
OP
mojo
May 1, 2009
SOUTH WOODHAM FERRERS
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I will get down to library soon for info firstly on the weather in winter compared to Spain and the method of getting there in a 7.6 mtr van.Sicily on the map looks a easier option for driving ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
I will get down to library soon for info firstly on the weather in winter compared to Spain and the method of getting there in a 7.6 mtr van.Sicily on the map looks a easier option for driving ?
Was in Sicily earlier in the year, having driven down through mainland Italy. It is very easy to access Sicily by ferry from Reggio to Messina, cost me around 95 euros return, valid for 90 days.

http://www.carontetourist.it/v2.6_en/stretto.php

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
My experience of Crete is only in the autumn and this was there is a big difference between the North (eg Heraklion) and South coasts although I think this difference extends over the whole year. They get snow in the mountains in winter. There is an account of someone who overwintered in Crete, on Mag Baz Travels I think.

I would love to go to Crete but the Southern Peloponnese is easier to get to although the weather won't be as warm as Crete I think.

Sicily is somewhere I have mixed feelings about. A long way to go on often bad roads. A lot to see when you get there but Greece wins out for me.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back