Windy Smithy Woodburner .. for the RV ?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by scotjimland, Nov 26, 2008.

1. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

I've often joked about fitting a wood burner in the RV :Laughing:.. now I'm seriously thinking about it..

From The Windy Smithy

Windy Smithy

I like the Louis Ranger ..

2. artona

artona

Hi Jim

They look interesting, I recon Shona will be ordering one, she loves the idea :Smile:

stew

3. scotjimland

Hi Stew

I've emailed for a quote for fitting a Louis Ranger ..

Love the idea of baking bread in a wood burning stove..:thumb:

4. artona

artona

Hi Jim

where abouts would you have it installed

stew

5. scotjimland

Hi Stew

Funny you should ask, Jan and I were just discussing, I would remodel the kitchen...

remove the SMEV gas cooker and existing double enamel sink ( which needs replaced anyway) , install the wood burner where the cooker was and fit a new stainless steel sink/double gas ring..

I'll do a sketch and post it ..

6. artona

artona

Be interesting to see Jim

7. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

Will be great for moroco Jim in the Sahara you can chop down some Tre:Doh:
    Geo:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

8. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Those little log burners can be really fuel efficient. We heat our entire house with two woodburners. One is an old large thing that can hold a wheelbarrow full of logs, it is doublefronted so the fire is in two rooms. The heat it throws out is phenomenal but it does go through the fuel. The second is a very modern burner, extremely efficient with lots of control of the burning. It will burn at about the rate of one small log every 3 hours and easily heats a room that is 10m by 4m.

Woodburners are excellent and one in an RV would be great. We are burning some apple tree logs right now and the smell is fantastic.:Smile:

9. scotjimland

Lateral thinking Geo...

dried camel dung is a wonderful fuel... and there's that a plenty in Morocco ... :Wink:

10. vindiboy

vindiboy Funster

We parked next to a van on the aire at St Larry Soulan France on a freezing cold January day and the van had a wood burner in it, the smell of wood smoke was lovely so it is possible to do. We have a wood burner, in our Bungalow and it is really efficient, we burn only scrap wood, pallets ,window frames etc so it is really cheap to run, I read somewhere that because of the rise in the cost of gas and electricity, wood burners are becoming more and more popular, you get two warms from wood, one when you cut and store it and another when you burn it .:thumb:

11. scotjimland

We were on the aire at Mimizan during the winter and the beach was absolutely full of drift wood, knee deep in places and as far as the eye could see, there were lots of locals collecting it.

LPG is getting more and more expensive, site fees are going up, so it makes sense as a full timer to look at an alternative energy source for heating and cooking.

12. Road Runner

Road Runner Read Only Funster

It could be like the Vatican:Laughing::Laughing:

Be interesting in the morning wont know whether its Georgie firing up or windy:Wink:

Mind you if you get snowed in could alway burn the furniture:helpsos::helptitanic:

Last edited: Nov 26, 2008
  13. bobandjanie

bobandjanie Funster Life Member

Hi Jim, you want one with a back boiler, hot water and a couple of rads off it.:Laughing: You know the next thing people will be going on about,:Wink: Petrol chain saws,:Rofl1::Rofl1: you better get a electric one. :Eek!: Bob.:BigGrin:

14. scotjimland

Aint that a fact ... but heh, .... if it takes the heat off the kids and gennies... :Wink: can't be that bad..

:Laughing::Laughing:

15. Bulletguy

Bulletguy Read Only Funster

A skilled engineer who knows what he's doing could make one of these up at a fraction of this price.

I'm fortunate in living in a house where the open fireplace has been kept open and live in an area where i can still burn real coal (not this smokeless crap!), or logs. Apart from two or three others in the street, everyone else has long had their fires blocked up and a gas fire fitted. BIG MISTAKE!! Open fires are a real selling feature now in property.

Whatever you decide Jim, i'd go for it.......i don't think you will have any regrets!

16. scotjimland

Hi

Totally agree, I often wish I was back at my old job, could have had one made up ... and installed .. for free. :cry:

17. dylan

dylan Read Only Funster

We love woodburners, we have one in the cottage and we are going to install one in the shed Mark is building as storage/tractor shed and a bay for a meeting place for funsters when we have a meet in cold weather. The log pile will be near so its just a case of "throw another log on" and pour another drink ! You can also boil a kettle on the top of this woodburner. :thumb:
    The roof and timbers go on next week thanks Darling for saving us abit on the VAT :Smile:

18. Sundowners

Sundowners Funster Life Member

Hi
    A lot of you will be fed up hearing about the coach that we lived in, a million years ago:cry:
    Well, we fitted a budget pot belly stove in it, we found that we needed 50ft (give or take a bit) all around it to stop everything smoking or melting:Blush:
    We were offered a swap for a small Victorian kitchen range, it looked drab and very heavy!! We did the swap and found that although it was beautiful moulded cast iron it was actually not that heavy. After we had it in place (and sealed all the sections to stop smoke) we blacked it, and it looked fantastic:thumb::thumb:
    SO it looked great, gave off a lot of controllable heat, we could cook in the oven and on the top.

Nigel& Pamala

19. Road Runner

Road Runner Read Only Funster

Ah this give me an idea for keeping ones bus warm as toast this winter:Doh: right next to the new shed and huge stack of logs:thumb:

Last edited: Nov 26, 2008
  20. Sundowners

Sundowners Funster Life Member

The wood stove had a couple of downsides, the flue only ever went out of a small window, it brought rain inside, but this was not a problem when the fire was alight!!
    I really don't know how a rubber roof would react to sparks!! A flue MUST be fitted correctly.
    It also makes a lot of dust inside, partly because of the DRY air inside.
    A small supply of wood must be carried, using valuable storage space, this wood can bring uninvited guests onboard.
    We carried a chain saw, BUT they are very dangerous in the hands of morons like me!
    If you have no experience of them, try to get hold of a video showing what can go wrong, this will focus the mind.
    Nigel & Pamala