Windsurfing expert

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by harryoxford2, Oct 7, 2010.

1. harryoxford2

harryoxford2 Read Only Funster

I forgot to mention when I joined that I used to be a windsurfing expert.

Not the new kite surfing but the old attached sail type windsurfing so please ask away if I can help.

2. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

So it was you that was flying up and down the coast off Sete was it Arry???:BigGrin:

3. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

That's not the sort of wind problem the Olde Fartes of FUN have.

4. ourcampersbeentrashed

ourcampersbeentrashed Funster

look out for the meets on mersea island that we have occasionally, the wind there is great for windsurfing and its next to the beach our next one is at the end of november if you are brave enough xxxxxx

and if you dont fancy windsurfing its excellent value for money so come along and meet some of us as you are not too far from us

5. rainbow chasers

rainbow chasers Read Only Funster

I used to live near a windsurf hotspot years ago in dorset, people would travel from all over as the speed you could hit was really high.

I do remember last summer, some windsurfer ws on the news after a morning windsurfing on the Pembrokshire coast - he called his wife and asked her to pick him up as he was in North Devon!

His wife was less than impressed, as she had an impromptu 280 mile trip to Devon!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/4908286.stm

6. harryoxford2

That is so funny..i guess he could only go one way..generic fault when you start windsurfing as we all favour one side. Like anything in life..sailing of any kind is soo easy...once you know how..a bit like sorting out an rv.

PS that wasnt me flying up the coast...was it a bird..was it a plane..nope it was Brian (aka Hilldweller) after a small expulsion of bodily gasses escaped.

Mearsea Island sounds fun...used to windsurf 3 times a week and teach too profesionally, not sure if ive got the strength anymore...but im thinking about it. My top sail was off Leap? Beach between I of White and Leap Beach 66 knots of wind....wind against tide...world class meet and only 3 of us remained on the water...toomk me weeks to recover but at the time it felt like it was better than sex.....nahhhhh nothings better than sex:Rofl1:

I wish I knew how to look back at who said what but once im in this reply box, if i go anywhere it empties....how do you all do multiple quotes..is it in big writing and I missed it....Im advanced enuff to do single quotes only at pres

7. johng

johng Read Only Funster

I am sort of learning the ropes ;) I did go from Lepe once, but man that's a busy shipping lane!

I am desperate to get back into it.. I was just getting the hang of gybing etc without falling off.. I even retracted my dagger once :Rofl1: then lost it in the sea and longshore drift took me almost to Shoreham port from Hove :Doh: then some tennis elbow finished me off for a while :(

Essoria (spelling) - Morocco, may be a decent winter spot..

Arry, 66 knots ! that's insane ;) !

8. mondo

mondo Read Only Funster

You should see em on the beach at El Medano in Tenerife (They held the World Kite Surfing championships there in August this year)..fabulous to watch..and some of the tricks they do are insane and the speed ooh no a little on the fast side for an old un like me..I learned to windsurf in Belize in 1985 nice and sedate it was then

9. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

ok so question for the windsurfing expert, hee hee. will a wind surfer on the roof of the van help improve fuel consumtion figures.:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

10. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

Duno about that Roger but there was a van running around Benidorm for years with surfboards and windsurfers fastend to the roof,I know for a fact that they NEVER came off there,they were just for show,the guy told me himself he couldnt even swim.

11. harryoxford2

re question

The fuel economy of any rv or motorhome is vastly improved when carrying windsurfers. The following mathematical equasion applies.

RV no windsurfers....many hours spent trying to relieve bordom equals 960 miles at 10 miles pergallon....fortune

Rv with windsurfers....drive to windsurfing location..windsurf for days and days.....miles traveled at 10 miles per gallon....2

hence massive saving on fuel.....

its ok..I know im brilliant....stop stop I can hear the applause....

12. harryoxford2

Reading johns reply got me to thinking....when we meet up most of us have life skills..different life different skills....I can teach windsurfing on dry land..so anyone who wants to learn I would be glad to help. Reading your report John im bouncing on my chair wanting to throw the extra pieces of the jigsaw to you to make it all come together.
    kids for some reason grab it all in a day..adults question ...and dont grab it all in a day.

Stick with it john... I can msn or skype you through it if that may help/

Idlove to come and listen to someones skills be it plumbing, elecy stuff, spanish teacher....or basic bdsm :)...