Free Member
Jan 4, 2012
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Second time around.
My mind is in overdrive tonight trying to think of everything before I actually part with any money. It's just occurred to me that motorhome windscreens are big, almost certainly expensive and probably not easy to get hold of, so what actually happens if your windscreen goes on the road as I shouldn't imagine Autoglass stocking them?

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
They are normally ordered in from the manufacture. I know one funster that had 3 :Eeek: ordered and all were wrong. (it was a very old van)

I said on another post, why worry about something that may or may not happen? if it does it might possibly be a crack as windscreens are so much better these days...

you wouldn't not part with your money in case the clutch goes? or engine blows up?

its part of life, dont worry just enjoy.

Most GOOD insurance companies will offer windscreen cover even for a £1000 window. :thumb:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
If you buy a standard overhead cab type the original van screen is usualy retained and easy to obtain replacement
If you have an A class, cost, can be £4000 ish still reasonably easy to get but not roadside repair im afraid
make sure insurance glass limits will cover all your glass

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
vehicle glass is an absolute minefield with all the variations and what you may worry would be expensive and hard to replace rarely is.

On the other hand, I had a carryboy hardtop fitted to my nissan navara, which cost new about £700. When some theiving git put the back window through to nick tools I then presumed it would be a cheap fix. I was shocked to be quoted over £600 just for the one piece of glass and an unknown time limit till they could get it. So I went to my insurers and gave them the details of the importer where I bought it originally who sent out an entire back door within the week. It was nearly cheaper to throw away the whole hard top and replace brand new. Wheres the logic in that?

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
as said if you worry like that

As said if you worry like that then you would not buy a motor home, or perhaps should not.

Motor homes by there very nature and expensive to buy and run. Some more than others. American RV A class screens are very expensive ..B class and C class are normally just van chassis based and they can be obtained easier and cheap much as the same is true of European van based chassis motor homes.

You have not said what sort of motor home you are thinking of getting? might be worth asking what is the common issues with a certain model. But I do know of one couple that lost an over head screen in C class and was still waiting 6 months on for one to be found or made... so no standard windows on any motorhome can be an issue at times.

I would not lose the sleep about it... just plan to buy lots of goodies and enjoy it.

Bob

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Our A class cracked last year.

Luckily our insurance covered it.

It was flown in from Germany and collected by Autoglass at Gatwick.

I shudder to think how much it cost.

OP
OP
B

Bushtrekker

Free Member
Jan 4, 2012
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Second time around.
It's a 1986 Hymer 644

If anyone has any idea how much and how easy to source I'd be eternally gratetful. Cheers. John

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi ask at your local windscreen shop. you may be suprised a daf 45 screen for a mate last year 55 quid . couple of years ago my mitsubishi canter 50 quid . the best one is a man truck or vw lt last one 35 quid . all in stock in our local windscreen shop. ideally fit your self but offer 20 quid they fit them. try to get something with a common or garden screen. you must have an auto glass or mobile windscreen place in yellow pages .ring or call in and ask.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Most if not all glass companies will require a reg number to quote you on an A Class screen, and that quote will be logged on a data /history system,
Don't dwell too much about the screen, provided you have a good one to start with.
They are available for all the Hymer range, and will be for years to come but not at the drop of a hat, if what your looking at already has a damaged screen walk away.its history will be known
It is expensive and risky(No transportation insurance available) to try and get an A class screen as an individual, getting one fitted privately with a guarantee is also impossible, leave it to the experts
Get unlimited glass cover if you can
Make sure your limit if there is one is around £3000 minimum and your worry free:thumb:
Geo
If were not talking A class, you still haven said then it's simply a van screen, circa £150 to £250 new

Apr 21, 2009
East Cowes, PO32 6RU
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Caravan since 1970, motorhome or RV since 1999 then back to a caravan in 2017.
I recently sold my Hymer 694 and am aware that Peter Hambilton www.hymerdirect.com/
carries screen for most Hymers. If you do buy a Hymer I would recommend that you join HCI who have a website and regular newsletters. They are not so much FUN as here but have unrivalled knowledge of all Hymers.

Whatever you decide - ENJOY.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back