Windscreen resealing

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by normanandsue, Jan 13, 2014.

1. normanandsue

normanandsue Funster

I own a N+B Arto! On a recent journey to Inverness in torrential rain my windscreen developed a quite serious leak. Called a windscreen firm (Not Autoglass) to have the windscreen resealed and he suggested that windscreens should be resealed every couple of years or so.

Has anyone any experience of leaking windscreens and/or having them resealed?

Norman

2. Tootles

Tootles Funster

Not for many years. Then, it was a perished seal that was the problem. Every couple of years seems a bit excessive.

3. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

i thought that the n&b had a bonded screen so sealed for life or until it needs replacing anyway. otherwise a rubber sealed windscreen should have the rubbers cleaned and inspected periodically to watch for perishing. should be good for 20+ years though

maybe he meant his temporary repair would need doing again in 2 years

4. Tea Bag

Tea Bag Funster

Hello.
    From experience only with lorries,first if it is a sealant job and not a bonding method,it has to be BONE dry,so let it have a few days to dry out,then,in a MILLION to one cases,the motorhome,coach built shell may have just twisted in use over a period of time,so the windscreen,although in and water tight,could be under a certain amount of stress and crack.BUT,this is only a million to one chance but if yours does crack,Question.Million to one ?........ Now when ever did you kill a magpie ?:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:
    Tea Bag

5. normanandsue

normanandsue Funster

Newer windscreens are bonded, but older versions like mine were sealed. Bonded windscreen are easier ti fit at the factory but more difficult to replace afterwards.

Norman

6. simbadog

simbadog Funster

I had a Ford under warranty & the dealer tried to reseal the screen three times & it still leaked! I used http://www.captaintolley.com/ on it & fixed it straight off. Used it on loads of things since.

7. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

only needs resealing every couple of years if you employ a sh/t company to do it in the first place. :Laughing:

• Like Like x 1
  8. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

Hi Norman

After having out Flair windscreen replaced it was leaking in a between the the body and the rubber, it was coming out of the bottom but I decided it was getting in at the top so I sealed all along the top edge and it seems OK now.

Martin