Windscreen condensation (1 Viewer)

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
This is rather odd, we suffer from condensation most nights when away in winter, presumably simply down to difference between inside and outside temperatures, we have concertina blinds inside and don't use external screens

Bought a Karcher and generally cope with the problem quite well

I am away up in Durness, last night was pretty close to 0C or even -1C, heating left on all night at 20C

This morning no condensation at all

The only obvious difference is the wind, possibly forcing ventilation where it doesn't normally

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
If your heater control wasn't on recirculate you're probably getting demist draught. External screens make a phenomenal difference to both condensation (it doesn't happen) and temperature at the cab end of the van.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Get some external screen covers, problem solved. (y)

But they look a bit of a job to fit and then store when wet

Plus we have a Hymer A class, not sure what they would fix to without doors

If your heater control wasn't on recirculate you're probably getting demist draught. External screens make a phenomenal difference to both condensation (it doesn't happen) and temperature at the cab end of the van.

All vents closed as best I can tell, certainly no obvious air coming through any, I think it might be blowing in from underneath a little

Maybe just got lucky, will know better when / if the wind stops (y)

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007

Doesn't your Hymer have a garage? I put our Silverscreens in there loosely folded if they are a bit wet (wipe them down first). When dry - and for normal storage / transit - they are in a large black draw-string bag (supplied with them). This is held in a couple of luggage straps that I have screwed to the wall of the garage so that they are kept up and out of the way.

Regarding fitting on a Hymer A-class, this is not a problem. One side fits behind the sliding window; the other side hooks over the top of the driver's door.

I would not be without Silverscreens in winter (or in very hot summer).

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Wouldn't be without silver screens during the winter months ... on the odd occasion they have been wet when removed I just stand it loosely rolled in the shower until the next stop.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

toledo

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 18, 2011
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Life Member
Looking for a hymer a class silver screen if anyone has one for sale

LilacMoss

Free Member
Jan 10, 2015
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Looking again....
Exp
Im a newbie...since Sept 14
So are external scteens better than internal ones for condensation control and retaining/reflecting heat? Are they easier to put on as I have problems with my hands at times and do struggle with the suckers on internal ones..which don't always work. Also, I read somewhere (not on here) that some campsites will not allow external screens...is this something that others have encountered on their travels...if so where please? Many thanks in advance :)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User

Another vote for external screens from us. Not a single drop of condensation when fitted, loads when not. It takes less than a minute to fit them and if I take them off wet I just leave them flat in the garage for a while before putting them back in their bag.

They are model specific so speak to the guy at Silver Screens about your particular model and he will tell you if/how they fit. They are really helpful people.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi @DavidG58 The level of condensation depends on general humidity as well, parked up in France on the way to Spain and it was below freezing but no condensation to worry about, in high humidity we would have needed the vac. Silver screens or Spain seems to be the answer.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
External screens everytime never get any condensation.
A class Hymer take 2 minutes to fit max and not messy job either, wouldn't be without them.
Its all very well having gadgets to clean up condensation but better not to have it in the first place makes a horrible mess and can cause damage.

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Hi @LilacMoss,

We resisted 'Silverscreens' for nearly two years, then due to the requirement to stay in Aberdeen in the van this winter I gave in and bought some.

I can honestly tell you that they are excellent :):):) The van is considerably warmer near the windscreen area and as for condensation............ none at all......... not a single drop........... zilch.............nada...........get my drift hehe :D

If I had known how good they are I would have bought them when I bought the van. They are very quick and easy to fit and remove too. As for when and where to use them I am unaware of any limitations, however personally I would consider there use carefully when 'wild camping'

There are two primary brands available...... 'Silverscreens' and 'Taylors'

We have 'Silverscreens' and I can highly recommend them (y)

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Another great motorhoming dilemma, those that have them swear by them, don't recall ever seeing a user knock them, some of this will fall into my theory that once someone has spent their hard earnt on something they generally praise it to death, we Brits are too embarrassed to admit a mistake

For me I have not bought for several reasons

1. Financial, not really too significant in the whole package of MH ownership
2. I think they spoil the look of my MH, its my opinion don't forget
3. Hassle of putting them up / down, even down to remembering before it goes dark and cold, or do you simply end up leave them on all the time (apart from driving :D)
4. Storage, yet another bag to fill the already overfull garage, however big I think we buy we will simply buy more stuff
5. I didnt think there would be any to fit my MH, still might be true, we have a very odd combination of A class big coach style mirrors and an offside cab door, the last bit being the oddest
6. No view till you go out to remove, not pretty in jarmies :D
7. I am inherently lazy

All that said having read the post from @chockswahay who is clearly a director of Silver Screens and Taylors :rolleyes: I am now convinced I need them for the first time in four years MHing. We do get an awful lot of condensation when it is cold, the Karcher is pretty good, but with the A class deep screen it is difficult to get the lower section without spraying out most of what I have collected, even when nearly empty

So now you can bet your life they will not make any to fit, but I will report back

Have we helped you any further @LilacMoss ? 50 / 50 I would say, do they make marmite flavour :LOL: people either seem to love or hate (hate maybe a little harsh)

I never really got my answer about why we get more some nights than others, we must breath pretty much the same volume each night, must be mainly wind direction I reckon

Last edited:
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
@DavidG58

Ha ha..... if you would like to send me a cheque for £1000 I will 'sort it' for you (even give you a Funster discount) :rolleyes::whistle::whistle:

Seriously, I had every single reservation about 'screens' that you have (well, not the A class bit)...........

Just do yourself a massive favour and get some screens ............ you will NOT regret it (y)

I would add that they are probably more effective when the temperature drops below about 5c , you know, on the days when it's cold sat in the front and the condensation literally streams down the glass. Having said that they do of course do the opposite in hot weather and keep the heat out :cool:

Oh, if not moving the van we don't take them off (the front section does fold down if needed for light though)

DO IT ! :devil:

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Another great motorhoming dilemma, those that have them swear by them, don't recall ever seeing a user knock them, some of this will fall into my theory that once someone has spent their hard earnt on something they generally praise it to death, we Brits are too embarrassed to admit a mistake

For me I have not bought for several reasons

1. Financial, not really too significant in the whole package of MH ownership
2. I think they spoil the look of my MH, its my opinion don't forget
3. Hassle of putting them up / down, even down to remembering before it goes dark and cold, or do you simply end up leave them on all the time (apart from driving :D)
4. Storage, yet another bag to fill the already overfull garage, however big I think we buy we will simply buy more stuff
5. I didnt think there would be any to fit my MH, still might be true, we have a very odd combination of A class big coach style mirrors and an offside cab door, the last bit being the oddest
6. No view till you go out to remove, not pretty in jarmies :D

All that said having read the post from @chockswahay who is clearly a director of Silver Screens and Taylors :rolleyes: I am now convinced I need them for the first time in four years MHing. We do get an awful lot of condensation when it is cold, the Karcher is pretty good, but with the A class deep screen it is difficult to get the lower section without spraying out most of what I have collected, even when nearly empty

So now you can bet your life they will not make any to fit, but I will report back

Have we helped you any further @LilacMoss ? 50 / 50 I would say, do they make marmite flavour :LOL: people either seem to love or hate (hate maybe a little harsh)

I never really got my answer about why we get more some nights than others, we must breath pretty much the same volume each night, must be mainly wind direction I reckon
They're made to fit any van. If they aren't in stock they will be made to order. Once you have used them you will never be without - they transform usability of the van in cold weather. Even if the windscreen area has misted up before the screens are put on they will clear it once fitted. Brilliant.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Buy the genuine Hymer screens and you won't have problems with fit. Hymer ones come with a rail you attach to the side of the van behind & above the drivers door & passenger window. The binds slide into these rails giving a secure fitting without having to poke bits through windows & doors.
Also they are cheaper than the after market screens.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Buy the genuine Hymer screens and you won't have problems with fit. Hymer ones come with a rail you attach to the side of the van behind & above the drivers door & passenger window. The binds slide into these rails giving a secure fitting without having to poke bits through windows & doors.
Also they are cheaper than the after market screens.

Didn't even know they made them, bit more research required

I have already spoken to Silver Screens, they will make them to order, but only take 24 hours to make, but £299, bit more than I expected, will try the Hymer option, but think our odd offside cab door might slow that down

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
The Silver Screens are very well made (mines a Fiat) ......... spend the money....... don't look back :rolleyes:

Think about this one too much and you won't do it.......... you know I'm right ;)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
When I brought mine last year they were €325 after discount and at €1.21/£1 worked out at £248, with current exchange rates even at full price should only be about £235.
Ring or email a few German dealers and get a price.

With the after market screens they rely on trapping the ends in the windows & door and some people have had problems with water coming in around the door.

Oct 25, 2014
Cambridge
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs A 7870-2
Exp
Newbie, caravanner since 2008
Does anyone have a fully winterised (ie. purpose built to enjoy scandi weather) van and find they need external screens?
Our 7870-2 mentions having an air recirculation system to minimise condensation, but obviously without having the van yet, I've no idea how effective it is.
Only thing worrying me is the loss of light - I never close blinds or curtains to sleep as I like waking up to a light source. Any one ever missed an expensive hotel breakfast due to blackout blinds? :rolleyes:
I think we'll have to see how bad it is first, and I realise the light reduction probably won't be too bad. First world problems, eh? :D

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Of course there are also the Thermo Tec and Hindermann options for a Hymer.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Does anyone have a fully winterised (ie. purpose built to enjoy scandi weather) van and find they need external screens?
Our 7870-2 mentions having an air recirculation system to minimise condensation, but obviously without having the van yet, I've no idea how effective it is.
Only thing worrying me is the loss of light - I never close blinds or curtains to sleep as I like waking up to a light source. Any one ever missed an expensive hotel breakfast due to blackout blinds? :rolleyes:
I think we'll have to see how bad it is first, and I realise the light reduction probably won't be too bad. First world problems, eh? :D

You WILL need those thermal screens If you plan to brave winter Alpine conditions.
Preferably those that cover the whole cab!

We bought Thermo Tec full covers for our Transit cab from Camper Bro Shop in Italy. They arrived in a few days.

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012

No matter what heating system your MH has, you can't get away from the big glass screen at the front, it will condense.

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
I have a PVC, a lot smaller than a Hymer and don't have a garage of course. I wouldn't dream of going without my long screen Taylormade covers in winter, they travel in their bag on the bench seat between sites.

Recently I also bought a ceramic car heater for £8 to plug into cig lighter, which I'm also pleased with - warm air in winter or cool in summer

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
So are external scteens better than internal ones for condensation control and retaining/reflecting heat? Are they easier to put on as I have problems with my hands at times and do struggle with the suckers on internal ones..which don't always work. Also, I read somewhere (not on here) that some campsites will not allow external screens...is this something that others have encountered on their travels...if so where please? Many thanks in advance :)

I agree with all the previous posts and the benefits of external silver screens.

I have never heard of any site not allowing them but there is the thought that if wild camping they are not adviseable. The reason being that they would prevent you having the visability to drive away in an emergency without getting out of your motorhome.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I am away up in Durness, last night was pretty close to 0C or even -1C, heating left on all night at 20C

This morning no condensation at all
Surely that is due to all the heating vents along the dash directly below the screen.
I do notice with our A Class even with the far larger glass area due to the the curtain/blind arrangement we get far less condensation than we did in our Low Profile Tramp.

Oct 25, 2014
Cambridge
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs A 7870-2
Exp
Newbie, caravanner since 2008
OK, thanks. Never really noticed it when caravanning, but then we only did Feb once and mainly took it for a spin between March and October.
Bedding would get damp though, so I used to take it out.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
OK, thanks. Never really noticed it when caravanning, but then we only did Feb once and mainly took it for a spin between March and October.
Bedding would get damp though, so I used to take it out.

Your caravan would have had double glazed plastic windows all round including the front.
Motorhome have single glazed cab glass except for really high end stuff. It is the glass glazing where the condensation forms and the heat is lost.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back