Windows 8 - Upgrade or not ?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by scotjimland, Feb 2, 2013.

1. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

I have windows 7 Ultimate on my desk top PC .. purchased last December .. Until February 28, I am eligible to upgrade to Windows 8 Pro for just £14.99..

I have read and compared and can find no reason to upgrade... Frankly, I can see no benefits unless you have a touch screen.. in fact I can find several reasons not to.

so.. who has it on a non touch screen PC.. is it better or just more Microsoft bells and whistles.. ?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Gromett

Gromett Funster

Unless you have a specific need for windows 8 and I can't think of one I would stay with 7 as long as possible (at least till the first service pack is released)

The only oddball reason I can think to upgrade is if you are curious. But I would take a partition image of your existing install first..

• Like Like x 1
  3. scotjimland

That's my exact thinking.. I'm just curious .

I have the OS and software on a dedicated 168 gb SSD and have an image on a backup drive .. but frankly, my maxim is if it works.. don't fix it

Last edited: Feb 2, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Terry

Terry Funster

That.s why I am still on xp pro :Rofl1::BigGrin:
    terry

5. scotjimland

nowt wrong with that Terry, in fact I downgraded two older machines to XP Pro and they run so much faster :thumb:

6. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

There's nothing that I need that XP Pro won't do and do well.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Terry

Terry Funster

Paul usually sticks me a version of all latest software in for me to play with but after a couple of mths I always end up back on xp
    must admit it was me who got him into a tablet for surfing though :Wink: all I ever got off him was it's easier on PC :BigGrin:

Not sure on windows 8 (He got a beta version a long while ago) I could be mistaken (prob am) but he said it turned your screen into like a touch screen ??? or it could have been me not listening proper and he could well have had something else doing it- will ask when I see him
    he has recently given me a zbox that turns TV into computer type thing it may have had something to do with that :Doh: I have had comps for close to 20 yrs and still do not know how to do most things :Eeek::Rofl1: but I can build one from scratch :Wink:not that I know how to put a operating system in one :BigGrin:
    terry

• Like Like x 1
  8. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

The only upgrade I've done in recent years (since moving a machine from 3.1 to 3.11) was to upgrade a Vista machine to XP because I was sick of Vista :BigGrin: I'm always a bit wary of changing an OS these days as the newer ones tend to need more in the way of resources.

As regards comparing Win 8 to Win 7, though, I definitely prefer 8. I bought my current main laptop (HP Pavilion g6-2293sa which I'm using now) just after Christmas to replace a Win 7 laptop which I gave to one of our sons. It doesn't have a touch screen but that's no matter. The impressive thing is that it is fast, especially on boot, more or less instant on.

I was impressed enough to replace the Asus netbook which I use on my travels (Win 7 32 bit, but always rather slow) with an Asus Vivobook s200e c158h which does have a touch screen. The Vivobook isn't quite as fast to boot up as the HP but that's because it has less memory and an i3 (as opposed to i5) processor.

Overall I prefer Win 8 to Win 7 but I would only move in the way I did, new machine rather than upgrade.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Terry

Terry Funster

Forgot to say I am still waiting for him to come and couple this zbox thing up :BigGrin: All I get is don't touchit I will come and do it later---moans that when I touch things it takes him longer to do than if I had not tried :Doh::Wink:
    Been waiting for a new writing program for above a yr now :Smile: no doubt when I eventually get it,it will be several newer versions that he got me in the first place :Eeek:
    terry

• Like Like x 1
  10. Gromett

Gromett Funster

I moved to 7 from XP skipping Vista. I moved because of the extra security features built in like DEP and ASLR. It is much harder to hack.

Having said that a few months ago I moved 100% to linux and use KVM to virtualise windows on the very rare occasion I need to use it to keep clients happy. Windows 7 under KVM only takes 7 seconds to boot. Which is a hell of a lot faster than it does when running natively:Doh:

I have to say since moving to linux I have been much much happier.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

I would not change to Windows 8 , we have just bought our son a new PC on Windows 8 and it seems to me to be a poor attempt to mimick the app type desktop that is on I Phones and I Pads and for me it is to say the least confusing and difficult to navigate. :Doh:

• Like Like x 1
  12. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

I don't like the app type desktop either but it is obviously aimed at those who are more used to using such an interface. However, I found it very easy to set up a more "conventional" desktop which works for me just as easily as in earlier versions.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Gromett

Gromett Funster

• Like Like x 1
  14. scotjimland

• Like Like x 1
  15. thehutchies

thehutchies Funster

I've recently been given a new laptop with Windows 8 and I hate it with a vengeance!

I've had to download various 3rd party programs just to take away most of the features that were obviously designed for touch screens.
    Most importantly for me, there isn't the traditional start menu.
    I wanted to open a program for work and couldn't find any way to do it.
    I wanted to shut the computer down from the desktop and couldn't do it.
    I had to download a program to emulate the start menu.

If I open a photo or music track, it opens in one of the Windows 8 apps, rather than the normal picture viewer or media player.

Then, if I accidentally move the cursor to the edge of the screen, it brings up various menus that I don't want, and I end up on the screen that lists all the apps running and all sorts of other nonsense.

I'm sure that it would be easier with a touch screen but I've never used something so counter-intuitive.

So I would recommend against it :Smile:

• Like Like x 3
  16. jb0371

jb0371 Read Only Funster

Missis just bought a new laptop with 8 on it. First impression is crap, but then I need to do the tutorial to make an honest and informed impression.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Bailey58

Bailey58 Funster Life Member

My grandson had a Windows 8 on a new laptop at Christmas and I agree it seemed very difficult to find your way around. And as for turning it off at night well we googled it and never really got an answer, grandson still ended up bringing up the task manager to shut down.

• Like Like x 2
  18. mitzimad

mitzimad Funster

im on windows 7 64 bit does all i want and quick so i'll not upgrade for a while yet i jumped from xp pro to this and there not much thats very different i think 8 will be a schock to the system

• Like Like x 1
  19. thehutchies

thehutchies Funster

The first day I used mine, I spent over an hour trying to shut it down.
    I was calling people over, asking if it was just me missing the obvious.
    Ten of us couldn't work out how to do it.

'Give Windows 8 to someone you hate' :Laughing:

• Like Like x 3
  20. scotjimland

Looks my instinct has been correct.. thanks for all the most helpful informative replies :thumb:

Microsoft have designed an OS to work on tablets, laptops and phones.. not a bad idea, however, as with most 'Swiss Army Knife' solutions, they do everything.. to a degree, but none outstanding..

I'll stick with 7 .. at least I know how it works.. and how to shut it down.. :Laughing:

• Like Like x 2