Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
What a horrible operating system it is. My daughter was accessing some online learning this morning and had some problems and needed help... "Dad".... 20m minutes of me getting louder and louder, I was no help, I just wanted to launch her laptop through the window:shout:

It's just not intuitive and infact it intrudes and impedes workflow, it hides menus you need, it hides open programs and documents and then puts a dozen click/wipes/swipes between you and them, while all the time trying to be a smart phone operating system showing me all those stupid floating squares.:shout:

To have a learning curve that steep in this day and age is terrible, lets hope Microsoft disappear soon, they've had their day :shout::Doh:

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Sorry Jim I disagree. Took me about a week to get to know it. Rock solid stable and VERY fast. You just need to get to know it.
I have even uninstalled classic shell as I do not need it now. :thumb:

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
LOL well two conflicting reports. We are having all new machines installed very soon to allow off site access for a "new venture" The three IT firms who are quoting have all insisted that they will only quote for supply and support on Windows 7 and are not interested in quoting for Windows 8!

Mind you were still using Windows XP so were Ludites, I guess lol

Eddie

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Dell had to start offering windows 7 again as they were losing all their corporate clients that did not want to move to a social centric 8 for work.

alfandM

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
sweden
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Agree with you Jim,Microsoft are two big for there boots,we still have W7 and Microsoft seems to change things as they think,Not good for us neither,so know exactly what your saying,keep up the spirits Jim,if not get a good sledge hammer,Alf:thumb:

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Windows 8 is awful (even on my touch screen laptop) :Angry: luckily a nice person here pointed me to the shell programme, which has saved me going back to 7. I have not bothered upgrading to the revised version of 8, the warning saying some of your programmes may not work after this upgrade was enough to put me off.

Maybe 8 works for you if you have not used a previous version of windows, but all that tile candy and trying to locate even the most basic commands is just not worth it.

Apart from the appauling interface, when win 8 went sideways once on me, there appeared to be no way to break into the rebooting sequence it got stuck in . I left my latop rebooting itself for about 24 hours untill eventually win8 got fed up and offered a continue option. :Eeek:

I would hate to be responsible professionally for any PC running win 8, be prepared to tear your hair out if you have any:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
LOL well two conflicting reports. We are having all new machines installed very soon to allow off site access for a "new venture" The three IT firms who are quoting have all insisted that they will only quote for supply and support on Windows 7 and are not interested in quoting for Windows 8!

Eddie

clearly they have experienced win8 and know the hassle is just not worth it.....

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I agree with Munchie. I have Windows 8 on both this laptop and the touch screen Vivobook I use in the van. No problems at all once I set it up the way I like it (which took no longer than setting up a Win XP or Win 7 machine).

If Dell's corporate clients had anything about them they would be loading a bespoke version of Win 8 (just like we used to do with Win 3.11 and NT) when the machines were delivered (or have it pre-loaded by Dell).

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Have to agree had 8 about 9 months now and it's total crap the most user unfriendly system imaginable I hate it.

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Jim! you know the answer…………:RollEyes:

APPLE

(hard hat on, wait for incoming)

::bigsmile:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Jim I went through the same feelings, bought a new laptop for our son for I tunes etc and found windows 8 an abomination , it was unnavigable so we sold the thing at quite a loss.
As well as an I pad I use a HP laptop on Windows 7 which works fine:thumb:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years

Eddie

We are upgrading 50 computers and our supplier is saying the same Eddie.

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
Tried Win8 and hated it :Eeek:

Went back to Win7 and wont be changing until a better system is released. I would have liked the extra speed and the multiple hard drive functions on 8 but it's just annoying.

Like many here I work on PC's all day everyday and I also consult and build very high end machines (usually for video editing and water cooled).

I have never been asked to build a Win8 machine and don't know anyone who works full time on PC's that uses it. I haven't tried Win8.1 but from people I have spoken to it's not much better.

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006

Eddie

I have my systems set up that way :Smile:

It's great being able to run my business almost exactly the same from the PC in my van as being in the office. Assuming this is part of your objective, once you have the remote link up all working you could add an app to your phone called Splashtop which enables you to access all the function of your PC from your phone as well.

Volusia

Free Member
Oct 2, 2013
Haute Vienne France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Recent converts from boating
8 is not he best its a fact. Apple is the best solution, it'll even run windows for those feeling nostalgic.:thumb:

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Win 8 is in essence designed to bring Windows into the touch screen and App age, however you can still do everything you want from the desktop as before. It just takes a little more setting up.

Having said that my wife was not too impressed, so I installed Classic Shell on hers, now she has the start button and menus just as on Windows 7, as well as the touch screen side of things with access to the Apps, best of both worlds and she is now very pleased with it.

I admit did not like it at first when I used it initially, as did many friends and family, but having set it up as I want, and with the Classic Shell option it is very good and very fast....
:thumb:

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Have you tried the classic shell ? I'm still on XP so no first hand experience.

Classic shell makes Windows 8.1 usable. Indeed, i now prefer it over 7 because we have 6 computers and can use cloud based logins with skydrive.

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Like anything new (i.e. apple ptwooie spit spit) it has to be learned. Get used to it, it is the future.
Many companies will not have it yet due to the retraining involved but it is coming.

I now have shortcuts either on the desktop or the taskbar for al my most used programs.

Anything else I need to find just go top right (off screen) and click the magnifying glass and type the name in! simples!
I think Microsoft will reinstate the old type start button soon, as it is the thing people miss most. Till then install classic shell and enjoy the speed!

I got rid of it as I took the time to learn how the new system works and do not need it now.

:thumb:

Nov 5, 2011
Gironde, France
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
5 years
Many years ago when preparing my thesis I used an all singing/dancing Sony Vaio laptop & also an Apple MacBook Pro. I used Word on both machines & found I lost large sections of what I'd written.

I now use Macs 100% for my business & leisure activities, bought through the Educational Discount scheme, & would never use a PC again. I remember using a Mac Office update from MS that successfully lost about 6 months of Outlook emails before MS offered another update to correct their dodgy one. Always buy Applecare that guarantees 3 years of use on a free repair basis.

I just need a computer to work without fiddling about & that's what my Macs do for me. Use Windows 7 for PC only programs-blood pressure & blood sugar. I think PC's can be fun tho'-had some Skype supervision from my supervisor who uses a PC & suddenly his face was framed by the torso of an American quarter-back, next he turned into a ginger-haired viking! I found it really funny! Not sure he did tho.

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Not going to say, I told you , Jim... :winky::cry::ROFLMAO:

Broken Link Removed

davidallan

Free Member
Oct 22, 2007
Leeds
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
26 yrs CVing + 14< MH' ing
...I'll join in most of the remarks !!!

Sat here again & another day gone.,with the new Laptop [Lenovo] for my Wife..., trying to work my way around Win 8 Can't even sign in for email & explorer without having an MSN account ??
Never had one & don't want one. Even Ebay comes up in segments- Buy Sell Watching etc.
CAN I DO SOMETHING [ANYTHING] SIMPLE TO HAVE IT OPERATING ON WINDOWS 7 SYSTEM ??

Be kind & simple for me I am NOT a computer Nerd !:cry::Doh::Angry:
Please help :thumb:

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
Sat here again & another day gone.,with the new Laptop [Lenovo] for my Wife..., trying to work my way around Win 8 Can't even sign in for email & explorer without having an MSN account ??
Never had one & don't want one. Even Ebay comes up in segments- Buy Sell Watching etc.
CAN I DO SOMETHING [ANYTHING] SIMPLE TO HAVE IT OPERATING ON WINDOWS 7 SYSTEM ??

Be kind & simple for me I am NOT a computer Nerd !:cry::Doh::Angry:
Please help :thumb:

try this http://classicshell.net/ I have run it on my win 8 laptop almost since day 1 and it works very well. :thumb: Basically runs like win 7 but with the 'improvements' behind the scenes of win 8:thumb:

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Jim! you know the answer…………:RollEyes:

APPLE

(hard hat on, wait for incoming)

::bigsmile:

I have an iMac and a Macbook Pro and a couple of Dells that all get worked pretty hard one way or another. Except I'm not using my 32 month old £2000 Macbook pro this week as its blew up :Eeek: Well the battery swelled up and caused damage. See attached

At first Apple informed me that as it was well out of warranty so I should take it back to the store where I purchased it (Bath) and start a Statutory claim. You know, that new Europe wide 6 year guarantee thingy that can take months to resolve.

I told them I rather get it fixed myself and then sue them in Carmarthen county court them for what their battery had done to my £2k laptop. They ummed and ahhed and said a manager would call me back. 2 hours later a guy rang me back to say they would fix it and give me a new shell and battery at no cost. It was picked up by courier on Monday. They've promised it back next week. I'm chuffed, batteries are £100+ and that one was not holding any charge no matter how much it swelled. :Smile:

Attachments

• SwellingNextToTrackpad.jpg
    SwellingNextToTrackpad.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 32
  • BottomCaseBeingPushedOff.jpg
    BottomCaseBeingPushedOff.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 28

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
anyone tried the chrome OS, just seen a Samsung laptop advertised with it on, claims never to slow down and boots in 10 secs?

SueBaz

Free Member
Feb 20, 2012
Nr Canterbury, Kent
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since February 2012
A Luddite's View

Jim's note touched a chord with me!

I know this isn't quite as bad as the W8 saga but ask Trikeman or anyone who knows me - I'm not patient with tech.... I gladly gave my laptop back when I retired and I occassionally used Sues thereafter, always caused a row because of the language I used ( :shout: b*?!!**y microsoft etc etc :Angry: ).

In the end I bought and iPad, downloaded the manual but.......never read it - most intuitive bit of tech I'd ever used, brilliant. :thumb:

Then whilst we were travelling through France in late October they updated the operating system: Signal 5 days of trying to battle variable ether to get apps to work and icloud to sync. - and then dealing with improved functionality that to me was different but largely unnecessary... :Sad:

Conclussions? Two really

1. Programmer nerds don't generally think in the same way the rest of us do - ergo what is intuitive to them ain't to most of us.
2. The rest of us, once we've learned something, can get quite distressed at having to relearn and make something work that worked fine before, especially if the process doesn't offer any obvious advantage.

Now? Well........ I keep thinking I used to like the old op-system on my iPad but now I'm used to the new one I can't quite remember why............ :Blush:

Have Fun

Barry

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back