Windows 8 is pathetic

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Jim, Jan 8, 2014.

1. Jim

Jim Ringleader

What a horrible operating system it is. My daughter was accessing some online learning this morning and had some problems and needed help... "Dad".... 20m minutes of me getting louder and louder, I was no help, I just wanted to launch her laptop through the window:shout:

It's just not intuitive and infact it intrudes and impedes workflow, it hides menus you need, it hides open programs and documents and then puts a dozen click/wipes/swipes between you and them, while all the time trying to be a smart phone operating system showing me all those stupid floating squares.:shout:

To have a learning curve that steep in this day and age is terrible, lets hope Microsoft disappear soon, they've had their day :shout::Doh:

• Like Like x 5
  2. Munchie

Munchie Funster Life Member

Sorry Jim I disagree. Took me about a week to get to know it. Rock solid stable and VERY fast. You just need to get to know it.
    I have even uninstalled classic shell as I do not need it now. :thumb:

• Like Like x 2
  3. eddievanbitz

eddievanbitz Trader - Funster

LOL well two conflicting reports. We are having all new machines installed very soon to allow off site access for a "new venture" The three IT firms who are quoting have all insisted that they will only quote for supply and support on Windows 7 and are not interested in quoting for Windows 8!

Mind you were still using Windows XP so were Ludites, I guess lol

Eddie

4. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Dell had to start offering windows 7 again as they were losing all their corporate clients that did not want to move to a social centric 8 for work.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Billy23

Billy23 Funster

And that's the main reason I dumped Windows for Linux.:Smile:

6. alfandM

alfandM Funster

Agree with you Jim,Microsoft are two big for there boots,we still have W7 and Microsoft seems to change things as they think,Not good for us neither,so know exactly what your saying,keep up the spirits Jim,if not get a good sledge hammer,Alf:thumb:

7. campa cola

campa cola Funster

Windows 8 is awful (even on my touch screen laptop) :Angry: luckily a nice person here pointed me to the shell programme, which has saved me going back to 7. I have not bothered upgrading to the revised version of 8, the warning saying some of your programmes may not work after this upgrade was enough to put me off.

Maybe 8 works for you if you have not used a previous version of windows, but all that tile candy and trying to locate even the most basic commands is just not worth it.

Apart from the appauling interface, when win 8 went sideways once on me, there appeared to be no way to break into the rebooting sequence it got stuck in . I left my latop rebooting itself for about 24 hours untill eventually win8 got fed up and offered a continue option. :Eeek:

I would hate to be responsible professionally for any PC running win 8, be prepared to tear your hair out if you have any:Rofl1::Rofl1:

Last edited: Jan 8, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  8. campa cola

campa cola Funster

clearly they have experienced win8 and know the hassle is just not worth it.....

• Like Like x 2
  9. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

I agree with Munchie. I have Windows 8 on both this laptop and the touch screen Vivobook I use in the van. No problems at all once I set it up the way I like it (which took no longer than setting up a Win XP or Win 7 machine).

If Dell's corporate clients had anything about them they would be loading a bespoke version of Win 8 (just like we used to do with Win 3.11 and NT) when the machines were delivered (or have it pre-loaded by Dell).

10. Forestboy

Forestboy Funster Life Member

Have to agree had 8 about 9 months now and it's total crap the most user unfriendly system imaginable I hate it.

11. Chockswahay

Chockswahay Funster

Jim! you know the answer…………:RollEyes:

APPLE

(hard hat on, wait for incoming)

:BigGrin:

• Like Like x 2
  12. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

Jim I went through the same feelings, bought a new laptop for our son for I tunes etc and found windows 8 an abomination , it was unnavigable so we sold the thing at quite a loss.
    As well as an I pad I use a HP laptop on Windows 7 which works fine:thumb:

13. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

We are upgrading 50 computers and our supplier is saying the same Eddie.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Wissel

Wissel Read Only Funster

Tried Win8 and hated it :Eeek:

Went back to Win7 and wont be changing until a better system is released. I would have liked the extra speed and the multiple hard drive functions on 8 but it's just annoying.

Like many here I work on PC's all day everyday and I also consult and build very high end machines (usually for video editing and water cooled).

I have never been asked to build a Win8 machine and don't know anyone who works full time on PC's that uses it. I haven't tried Win8.1 but from people I have spoken to it's not much better.

• Like Like x 1
  15. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Have you tried the classic shell ? I'm still on XP so no first hand experience.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Wissel

Wissel Read Only Funster

I have my systems set up that way :Smile:

It's great being able to run my business almost exactly the same from the PC in my van as being in the office. Assuming this is part of your objective, once you have the remote link up all working you could add an app to your phone called Splashtop which enables you to access all the function of your PC from your phone as well.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

Win8 on my phone is great, but it gives every appearance of just being a phone OS. I wouldn't like to have it on a PC.

18. Volusia

Volusia

8 is not he best its a fact. Apple is the best solution, it'll even run windows for those feeling nostalgic.:thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  19. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

I found apple on a Mac just as confusing as Windows 8 :Eeek:

20. callumwa

callumwa Read Only Funster

Win 8 is in essence designed to bring Windows into the touch screen and App age, however you can still do everything you want from the desktop as before. It just takes a little more setting up.

Having said that my wife was not too impressed, so I installed Classic Shell on hers, now she has the start button and menus just as on Windows 7, as well as the touch screen side of things with access to the Apps, best of both worlds and she is now very pleased with it.

I admit did not like it at first when I used it initially, as did many friends and family, but having set it up as I want, and with the Classic Shell option it is very good and very fast....
    :thumb:

• Like Like x 2