Windows 8 and Sleep Mode problem

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Janine, May 24, 2014.

1. Janine

Janine Funster Life Member

Barrie & I have both had new laptops with Windows 8 installed.

Whereas mine is behaving quite well, Barrie's goes into sleep mode within a couple of minutes if he's reading something without touching the mouse/keys.

We've tried putting all of the various sleep mode settings to 'never' to no avail.

Googling shows that this is a very common problem and the only solutions appear to be registry changes, which neither of us are confident enough to tackle.

Anyone else have experience of this and a solution?

2. Munchie

Munchie Funster Life Member

Download and install Windows 8.1 :thumb:

• Like Like x 2
  3. SMB

SMB Funster

There is a free little program called 'caffeine' which you can download, I think I downloaded mine from this site but it was a while ago so I can't be definite..

http://www.zhornsoftware.co.uk/caffeine/

I downloaded it to stop the PC shutting down when I was watching a movie or downloading a large file etc, it basically fools the PC into thinking you have hit a key at regular intervals. It might help until you get the windows problem sorted out...

• Like Like x 1
  4. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Could it be software which the machine manufacturer has installed, rather than Windows? We have an Acer netbook running Windows 7 32 bit which has a habit of nodding off at times of apparent inactivity.

• Like Like x 2
  5. SMB

SMB Funster

Yeah, they put their own bloatware programs on just like mobile phones, really annoying and I take great pleasure uninstalling 99% of them :BigGrin:

• Like Like x 1
  6. OddSocks

OddSocks Read Only Funster

Does this happen only on battery or only when plugged in, or both? Check your power options. Might be something in there.

Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Power Options\Edit Plan Settings

You might have your screen saver set for half an hour, say, but your power options turning off the display or sending the system in to sleep after only 5 minutes, for example.