Windows 10 (3 Viewers)

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Tested my download speed couple of times again today still 50% faster than with windows 7. (y)

OP
OP
Munchie

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Have been using Firefox for years but so far Edge on Win 10 is VERY fast!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 15, 2009
Pontefract Yorkshire.
Funster No
It was taking so long to download I went to bed. This morning a message tells me my processor does not support
NX
LAHF/SAHF
PREFETCH W

The three lines above are the problem but to be honest I have forgotten the exact message. Looks like I will be staying with 7 for a while:)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
It was taking so long to download I went to bed. This morning a message tells me my processor does not support
NX
LAHF/SAHF
PREFETCH W

The three lines above are the problem but to be honest I have forgotten the exact message. Looks like I will be staying with 7 for a while:)

That's a pain. There are some suggestions here, but if you are not happy fiddling in the BIOS probably best to leave it alone. https://www.infopackets.com/news/9619/how-fix-cpu-not-compatible-windows-10-error

HANCOCK

Free Member
Apr 27, 2014
DURHAM
Funster No
MH
LOWPROFILE
Exp
windows 10 not supported by BT HELPDESK ?

OP
OP
Munchie

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Both my machines working well! Only issue is mail app will not sync on one but not a problem. Edge is screaming fast!!!

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
I recently noticed you cannot open a DOS window on 7 proff can you do so on 10?

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
Something wrong here, Microsoft.........windows........people saying they LIKE IT........can it be?

By the way, I have had it for a few months and I think it's good as well. :D

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I'm sticking with Win7 as I am terrified the accounts program will cease to work :(

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
I'm sticking with Win7 as I am terrified the accounts program will cease to work :(

Aw, go on.
Here's your contingency option if it does go belly up.

Boulier1.JPG

:giggle::giggle::giggle::giggle::giggle:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
As someone has said -- Why Free ?

Is there some spyware/controlware that the CIA etc want out everywhere ASAP and what better way than offer candy to kids ?

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995

Is there some spyware/controlware that the CIA etc want out everywhere ASAP and what better way than offer candy to kids ?

Controlware? We get so hung up on all that sort of stuff, let's face it, if the government or a large company wanted to know EVERTHING about you, I would be surprised if it took them longer than 24 hours, they would then tell you your blood group, what you had for breakfast and which way you sit on the loo.

The reason they don't bother, is that most people do much the same every day, get up go to work come home, have meal and go to bed, or something like that. And the retired people.....well most cannot remember what they did this morning, so for them it would be great to be spied on, they could then ask somebody where the Motorhome keys were.

They are giving it Free because they have lost market share and they need to get it back, Android made to much gain and Microsoft want as many computers on Windows as possible..........then they charge.

Just my opinion you understand :)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I've got Windows 7 Prof (64 Bit) and it has the command prompt in the Accessories bit. Win 10 does have it as well but there are two options "Command Prompt" and "Command Prompt (Admin)". The latter flings a window up first asking me if I want the program to make changes to my computer.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
windows 10 not supported by BT HELPDESK ?
Not surprising, I guess they will have to train all their folk up which will come at a cost, but it isn't really much different to Windows 7 as far as I can see so I don't think it would be difficult. This of course may explain why they have given it away free. It is Windows 7 with a few tweaks to make it look superficially different! :)

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
The reason they don't bother, is that most people...............
Just my opinion you understand :)

Yes indeed but what about the small percentage that aren't most people. The research scientists, the criminals, the politicians, the spies etc.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
For those of you still without the Windows 10 update icon on your taskbar check to see that all updates have been installed including Internet Explorer 11. I had IE11 as a hidden update as didn't want to install given some problems with it. IE11 is a mandatory for Windows 10 upgrade.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Windows 10 up & running and very nice.
It wont let me change some settings until its registered - how longs does it take to register? I have supplied the reg key.

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007

Its all about content and subscribers too those content services. The platform and tech is becoming irrelevant. To get people to the content they want, or that you want them to want, by providing an ecosystem they will stay with (Apple and google have done very well out of that, and amazon are fast cathing up) means giving away the platform for free and ends up being a minor cost in the grand scheme of things.

O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
Am I the only one who has a problem?. Started downloading windows 10 upgrade on my Levono integrated screen and desktop computer last night at 8 pm. Very slow download speed, sat with it until 2.30am when it implied all was going well. Left it to finish off itself and went to bed.
This morning screen is dark but lights seem to indicate it is sleeping. Moved mouse a few times, lights flicker but screen does not wake up. Tried using keyboard, still nothing. Hard drive indicating light flashes occasionally. After umteen tries to get it going I ended up holding power switch in and shutting down. Tried to restart, new windows 10 logo comes on screen then dissapears. Screen blank again. Hard drive light works hard for awhile but nothing happens.
Apart from throwing it out the window, ( I hate "Windows") anyone got any ideas?
Thanks for now....:oops2:

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
By all accounts, there are very few programs that won't run on Windows 10 if they ran ok on Windows 7.

Most problems I have heard about have concerned hardware drivers.

A move from 32bit Windows to 64bit Windows is far more likely to cause problems. There are a lot of 64bit PCs out there running 32bit Windows 7 & some people will no doubt take the opportunity to move to the 64bit version of Windows 10. I very much doubt the normal upgrade path would do this for them - I imagine they would have to do a manual download of the 64bit version, but it will be worth checking that this is the case. I do know that there is a 32bit version of W10 available & I assume that's what the free upgrade to 10 will deliver if the existing version is 32bit.

There is still quite a lot of business software that won't run on 64bit Windows.

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
True DOS disappeared somewhere around Windows 95 or 98 - I forget exactly which.

Originally, Windows was built on top of DOS. The operating system was MSDOS (Microsoft Disk Operating System). So you dropped out of Windows back to DOS.

Then Windows became the operating system in it's own right, but within Windows you had the Command Shell, which gave you the Command Prompt. Effectively, this mimicked all the functions of the old pre-Windows disk operating system & added a few additional commands. I don't know how true it is today, but there were certain technical admin tasks that could only be done with Command Shell commands. Network admin personnel still use it all the time.

Windows XP introduced an additional concept called Windows Powershell. The main function of this was to deliver more powerful scripting commands than was possible with the pure text based scripts available via the traditional Command Prompt. Very few people other than network admin staff would even be aware of it's existence.

I know from personal experience that the Command Shell exists all the way up to Windows 8. There would be a lot of furious network admin staff if it wasn't in 10!

I'll know next week, because I'm going to try out some software that uses the Command Shell on a Win 10 PC to check that it will work.

ThePeltonian

Free Member
Jun 29, 2015
UK
Funster No
MH
1994 Hymer 654
Exp
Since 2001
@TheCaller that takes me back to my youth :)

Just an update to my installation from the other day...

All is going well.. apart from Google Chrome which seems to have lost its touch screen capabilities... I gather Google will release an update to fix this soon...

Stu

ThePeltonian

Free Member
Jun 29, 2015
UK
Funster No
MH
1994 Hymer 654
Exp
Since 2001
Am I the only one who has a problem?. Started downloading windows 10 upgrade on my Levono integrated screen and desktop computer last night at 8 pm. Very slow download speed, sat with it until 2.30am when it implied all was going well. Left it to finish off itself and went to bed.
This morning screen is dark but lights seem to indicate it is sleeping. Moved mouse a few times, lights flicker but screen does not wake up. Tried using keyboard, still nothing. Hard drive indicating light flashes occasionally. After umteen tries to get it going I ended up holding power switch in and shutting down. Tried to restart, new windows 10 logo comes on screen then dissapears. Screen blank again. Hard drive light works hard for awhile but nothing happens.
Apart from throwing it out the window, ( I hate "Windows") anyone got any ideas?
Thanks for now....:oops2:

Do you have access to another PC / Laptop?
I would manually download it onto a USB stick and using the media creator tool install it on the laptop that failed...

Try this link...

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-10/media-creation-tool-install

Stu

O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
Hi Stu. Thanks for the reply, I was just going to revive the thread when you posted so good timing.
I'm concerned that if I use my other p.c. to download win10 I may end up with the same issue there. I assume the first one went wrong because of the slow (less that .5 MBS) connection. Anyway, how do I download to a USB, surly it will try to upgrade that computers OS?.
The other thing is that although the damaged PC's screen is blank, I can see the machine is breathing...but of course, no screen, no following instructions.
I'm not a beginner on p.c's but i'm no expert either so sorry if like the screen, i'm a little blank!
Regards. Pete

ThePeltonian

Free Member
Jun 29, 2015
UK
Funster No
MH
1994 Hymer 654
Exp
Since 2001
Hi Pete.. there should be an option just to download it not update... (see the bumf below...) I have highlighted it in green..
What you do is download it and then copy to a USB stick normally a 4gb size will do but I think it should say as you go through the procedure :)

I would leave your other one alone for now.. and wait to reinstall windows when the other is downloaded.

Any issues post back.. sure we can get you sorted...

Stu

Installing Windows 10 using the media creation tool

The media creation tool can be used to upgrade your current PC to Windows 10 or to create a USB or DVD and install Windows 10 on a different PC.

Here’s a quick look at the steps to get Windows 10 installed on your PC using this tool.

Note
  • If you want to upgrade to Windows 10 for free, select Upgrade this PC now in the tool.
Show all
Download the tool
  1. Find the media creation tool on the Software download page.

2. There are two versions of the tool, one for a “32-bit operating system” and one for a “64-bit operating system.” To find out which you have, go to Start, type Control panel, select System and security, and then, under System, look at the value for System type:.

3. If your PC is a 32-bit operating system, on the Software download page, select Download tool now (32-bit version). If your PC is a 64-bit operating system, select Download tool now (64-bit version).

4. When you're asked, select Run (or choose to Save the tool if you don't want to run it now).
Run the tool
  1. Run the tool, if you didn't already select Run. (You need to be an Administrator on the PC to run it.)

2. If you're upgrading this PC, select Upgrade this PC now, and then follow the instructions to finish the upgrade.

–or–

If you want to create media for a different PC, select Create installation media for another PC. Use this table to choose the edition of Windows 10 that you want to create media for.

Dec 2, 2010
Hollywood, Birmingham.
Funster No
MH
A Class Laika
Exp
Since 2011
Tried it, took forever to boot up, couldn't get Chrome to run so reverted to original 8.1, all OK now. Maybe try in a few months when debugged. BTW, it took 2 attempts to download.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back