Windows 10 (2 Viewers)

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
I've installed Windows 10 on my van PC and Media PC and so far I'm pretty impressed.

My van PC has been transformed - so much better. The Media PC is running well but had a couple of very small issues during the update with graphics and audio. A re-start sorted these.

It does have some (small) bugs but nothing bad I've found so far. Although it's not being installed on my work PC yet ;)

EzeeRider

Free Member
Sep 12, 2007
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2001
And it's free.

Spooky !

Spooky indeed, I'm always suspicious of free downloads, Nothing in this world comes for free. So what are Microsoft getting out of this or hope to get out of it?
Ezee

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sallytrafic

Free Member
Aug 20, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt on Transit
Exp
since 1988
Upgrades to Apple OS X have been free for many years but I guess microsoft have a mission to recapture market share from Google and to a lesser extent apple.

Sallytrafic

Free Member
Aug 20, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt on Transit
Exp
since 1988
holly cow!!!!!!!!
now that is a serious collection - do they all still work?
Well yes I suppose, although with things this old the next time they are switched on may be their last. Electrolytic capacitors for example have a definite short life. One problem is that you have to have an analogue TV to use them with. serious collectors of course wouldn't dream of switching them on especially my mint ZX80's in their original brown cardboard shipping box, or making my ZX80 and ZX81 kits.

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
Well yes I suppose, although with things this old the next time they are switched on may be their last. Electrolytic capacitors for example have a definite short life. One problem is that you have to have an analogue TV to use them with. serious collectors of course wouldn't dream of switching them on especially my mint ZX80's in their original brown cardboard shipping box, or making my ZX80 and ZX81 kits.
Nice(y) - first foray into computing was on a zx80...and im still in the industry :)...dam you Sinclair I could have been a Astronaut!

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Nice(y) - first foray into computing was on a zx80...and im still in the industry :)...dam you Sinclair I could have been a Astronaut!
My son started with a Commodore 64 now lives in the big house on a hill in the US with a six figure salary all attributed to his interest in his Commodore 64. Who said the 64 was insignificant.:)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Windows 10 now running on my PC. Everything seems fine although apparently I don't have programs any more - I have apps now but fortunately those well known "apps" such as Excel and Word are still running.

It has a different backup option to Win7. The old Win7 option is still there but there is also one which just backs up your files. I've got this running at the moment but I am not sure what you are supposed to do if your PC expires. The old system would take a system image. Apparently this option is still in there somewhere but I need to find it. It might help if I knew how to find the Control Panel which they seem to have hidden as well! I'll also look at Macrium Reflect and see what that makes of Win10. Hours of hopefully harmless amusement ahead.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Windows 10 now running on my PC. Everything seems fine although apparently I don't have programs any more - I have apps now but fortunately those well known "apps" such as Excel and Word are still running.

It has a different backup option to Win7. The old Win7 option is still there but there is also one which just backs up your files. I've got this running at the moment but I am not sure what you are supposed to do if your PC expires. The old system would take a system image. Apparently this option is still in there somewhere but I need to find it. It might help if I knew how to find the Control Panel which they seem to have hidden as well! I'll also look at Macrium Reflect and see what that makes of Win10. Hours of hopefully harmless amusement ahead.
Type control panel in your search bar and select the top option will take you straight there.(y)

Reactions: DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Type control panel in your search bar and select the top option will take you straight there.(y)
Many thanks! The search bar used to be under the "Start" button but now I see it has become a magnifying glass - it looks like I need to start looking at my PC as just a very large smart phone from now on. :)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
A bit of Googling told me you can right click the start button - that thing which has now become literally like a window. When you right click it you get a menu opening which has amongst other options the control panel plus the device manager which was fairly well hidden in Win7. My task bar is on the right of the screen so this menu opens in the top right, as shown below.
desktop.jpg

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Thanks DBK I had already found this but I was in between cutting the grass at the time so I went for the easy option.:)

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Wow, how intuitive, Mac users have had 'Spotlight' since 2004 :) Windows will catch up one day :)
Not sure but I'm getting the feeling that you are beginning to warm to this Windows 10 malarkey Jim. Could I be right.(y)

Jun 15, 2009
Pontefract Yorkshire.
Funster No
Hi all, when I click on the win 10 icon on the bottom of my screen it tells me The cpu isnt supported. I have checked the cpu and find it should be big enough. The details are Intel xeon cpu 3.40 ghz 2 processors The problem is I dont know how to go into the bios to change the settings. I am downloading the 64bit win 10 to install onto a mem stick just in case I need it. If I have to install from the usb I am not sure the product key is correct on my pc case, I think I will need it. It looks complicated trying to find my key from within the pc. thanks john.

Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001
As the reports on W10 are favourable I thought I would download it, only to be told "the BIOS isn't supported"

Is there a simple solution to enable BIOS support, any advice/explanation would be appreciated?

Thanks in advance.

confused

Doctor Dave

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years followed by a break of 11 years and then 4+ years but given up now
Well I installed it yesterday - took a good couple of hours. Didn't like it so rolled back to 8.1 which didn't take long.

Dave

ThePeltonian

Free Member
Jun 29, 2015
UK
Funster No
MH
1994 Hymer 654
Exp
Since 2001
Hi all, when I click on the win 10 icon on the bottom of my screen it tells me The cpu isnt supported. I have checked the cpu and find it should be big enough. The details are Intel xeon cpu 3.40 ghz 2 processors The problem is I dont know how to go into the bios to change the settings. I am downloading the 64bit win 10 to install onto a mem stick just in case I need it. If I have to install from the usb I am not sure the product key is correct on my pc case, I think I will need it. It looks complicated trying to find my key from within the pc. thanks john.

Is your current system 32 or 64 bit windows?

Doctor Dave

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years followed by a break of 11 years and then 4+ years but given up now
64 bit windows 8.1 on a Toshiba Satellite lap top. I think Win 10 (and 8 come to that) was designed for a touch screen which I don't have.

Dave

OP
OP
Munchie

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Touch screen not needed! My main lappie does not have one and 10 is running great on it!

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
64 bit windows 8.1 on a Toshiba Satellite lap top. I think Win 10 (and 8 come to that) was designed for a touch screen which I don't have.

Dave
Neither do I, but it isn't massively different to Windows 7 which I was already used to. If you have become familiar to Windows 8 then I guess 10 comes across as a bit odd - but I think you should give it another try. I'm very happy with it but inevitably there is a learning curve but I don't mind that, keeps the little grey cells going for a bit longer. :)

Frentchy

Free Member
Oct 2, 2013
Bordeaux France
Funster No
MH
Elnagh Baron Profiie
Exp
since late seventies
Haaaa! that will teach all you c, c's!! with Win 10 your gonna have to PAY for solitaire, an battle ship games so there !!

ThePeltonian

Free Member
Jun 29, 2015
UK
Funster No
MH
1994 Hymer 654
Exp
Since 2001
64 bit thanks
are you running windows 7 sp1 at the moment?
If so it should be compat with you processor...

Host operating system edition
Windows 10 edition

Windows 7 Starter
Windows 7 Home Basic
Windows 7 Home Premium
Windows 8/8.1
Windows 8.1 with Bing
Windows 10 Home

Windows 10 Home

Windows 7 Professional
Windows 7 Ultimate
Windows 8 Pro
Windows 8.1 Pro
Windows 8/8.1 Professional with Media Center
Windows 10 Pro

Windows 10 Pro

Windows 8/8.1 Single Language
Windows 8 Single Language with Bing

Windows 10 Home Single Language

Windows 8/8.1 Chinese Language Edition
Windows 8 Chinese Language Edition with Bing

Windows 10 Home China

Note
  • If you have an N edition of Windows on your PC, choose the N equivalent for creating installation media.

Jun 15, 2009
Pontefract Yorkshire.
Funster No
are you running windows 7 sp1 at the moment?
If so it should be compat with you processor...

Host operating system edition
Windows 10 edition

Windows 7 Starter
Windows 7 Home Basic
Windows 7 Home Premium
Windows 8/8.1
Windows 8.1 with Bing
Windows 10 Home

Windows 10 Home

Windows 7 Professional
Windows 7 Ultimate
Windows 8 Pro
Windows 8.1 Pro
Windows 8/8.1 Professional with Media Center
Windows 10 Pro

Windows 10 Pro

Windows 8/8.1 Single Language
Windows 8 Single Language with Bing

Windows 10 Home Single Language

Windows 8/8.1 Chinese Language Edition
Windows 8 Chinese Language Edition with Bing

Windows 10 Home China

Note
  • If you have an N edition of Windows on your PC, choose the N equivalent for creating installation media.
PC up to date running sp1.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back