Guisborough North Yorkshi
Funster No
MH
Malibu T410
Exp
Since August 2008
Hi any advice re Windows 10?
Just started using this and a 3 mifi.
Looks possible that Windows 10 had been trying to update without my knowledge and eaten loads!! of data from our allowance.
So looked into this and now set up the wifi from the myfi as a meterd connection and in theory this should stop windows updating from this source? Apparently you can't now turn off the automatic updates on Windows 10
We have also got 3 to cap/stop the account at the data limit to avoid going over again and exorbitant charges (to fill Bill Gates coffers?)
Main question is if we stop using the mifi and go back to a dongle do you think the computer/windows will recognise the sim and not download updates - ie treat it as metered? We think that the dongle is better as used this for past several years no problem.

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
You can turn Windows updates off but I wouldn't recommend it.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
From Boringfrog's link it says you can't turn security updates off. When connected to your Mifi the PC will see it as a normal wifi connection.
One possibility is you in your mifi router you could block the connection to the windows update site.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I have always turned off automatic updates on the machines we have taken away in the van with us (currently an Asus Vivobook running Windows 10). Before each trip I charge the battery of the Vivobook and run Windows Update manually to make sure it is up to date. That way using up the MiFi data allowance simply doesn't happen.

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
I have always turned off automatic updates on the machines we have taken away in the van with us (currently an Asus Vivobook running Windows 10). Before each trip I charge the battery of the Vivobook and run Windows Update manually to make sure it is up to date. That way using up the MiFi data allowance simply doesn't happen.
But the security updates will still download even if you "defer" updates.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
But the security updates will still download even if you "defer" updates.
So it does - on this machine certainly :) I thought I had found a setting on the Vivobook to prevent that (as one used to be able to do in previous versions). Perhaps I'm mistaken. I'll have to have a look when I have time.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Graham, but how do you do that. It is one of the reasons I am delaying upgrading to 10.

OP
OP
SteveandSue
Feb 18, 2009
Guisborough North Yorkshi
Funster No
MH
Malibu T410
Exp
Since August 2008
Interesting replies - seems as I suggested the only way to stop it eating your data is to set the wifi/mifi thing as a metered connection- then cross your fingers?
Any ideas if you were to use a dongle instead of the mifi -?
It doesn't matter if you are at home and have unlimited data- but whilst traveliing your months allowance could disappear real quick

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Interesting replies - seems as I suggested the only way to stop it eating your data is to set the wifi/mifi thing as a metered connection- then cross your fingers?
Any ideas if you were to use a dongle instead of the mifi -?
It doesn't matter if you are at home and have unlimited data- but whilst traveliing your months allowance could disappear real quick
I haven't used a dongle for years so I did a quick search and found this page on the Microsoft web site. It looks like one might have to positively set the connection to metered.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I've had a quick look. The way to do it is to set the MiFi as a metered connection so it won't download when using the MiFi. See Here for an article that covers it.
Great info Graham, I am going to set my Alfa router connection as metered then when on slow WiFi connections should stop internet slowing to a crawl.

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
I've found a way to stop Windows 10 trying to update, only I did want to update. I set it to download, went away to have dinner, came back to it later, now I can't find the download and when I try to download it again to see what it was called, it comes up with an error and refuses.
So perhaps if you download while you're on wifi, that'll stop it trying to download when you're on mi-fi.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back