windows 10 Update advice

Discussion in 'Computers' started by SteveandSue, Feb 5, 2016.

1. SteveandSue

SteveandSue Funster

Hi any advice re Windows 10?
    Just started using this and a 3 mifi.
    Looks possible that Windows 10 had been trying to update without my knowledge and eaten loads!! of data from our allowance.
    So looked into this and now set up the wifi from the myfi as a meterd connection and in theory this should stop windows updating from this source? Apparently you can't now turn off the automatic updates on Windows 10
    We have also got 3 to cap/stop the account at the data limit to avoid going over again and exorbitant charges (to fill Bill Gates coffers?)
    Main question is if we stop using the mifi and go back to a dongle do you think the computer/windows will recognise the sim and not download updates - ie treat it as metered? We think that the dongle is better as used this for past several years no problem.

2. Boringfrog

Boringfrog Funster

You can turn Windows updates off but I wouldn't recommend it.

3. Boringfrog

Boringfrog Funster

4. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

From Boringfrog's link it says you can't turn security updates off. When connected to your Mifi the PC will see it as a normal wifi connection.
    One possibility is you in your mifi router you could block the connection to the windows update site.

• Like Like x 1
  5. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

I have always turned off automatic updates on the machines we have taken away in the van with us (currently an Asus Vivobook running Windows 10). Before each trip I charge the battery of the Vivobook and run Windows Update manually to make sure it is up to date. That way using up the MiFi data allowance simply doesn't happen.

6. Boringfrog

Boringfrog Funster

But the security updates will still download even if you "defer" updates.

• Like Like x 1
  7. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

So it does - on this machine certainly :) I thought I had found a setting on the Vivobook to prevent that (as one used to be able to do in previous versions). Perhaps I'm mistaken. I'll have to have a look when I have time.

• Like Like x 1
  8. peterc10

peterc10 Funster

Graham, but how do you do that. It is one of the reasons I am delaying upgrading to 10.

9. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

I've had a quick look. The way to do it is to set the MiFi as a metered connection so it won't download when using the MiFi. See Here for an article that covers it.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  10. G T and Dottie

G T and Dottie Funster

Thank you!

11. SteveandSue

SteveandSue Funster

Interesting replies - seems as I suggested the only way to stop it eating your data is to set the wifi/mifi thing as a metered connection- then cross your fingers?
    Any ideas if you were to use a dongle instead of the mifi -?
    It doesn't matter if you are at home and have unlimited data- but whilst traveliing your months allowance could disappear real quick

12. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

I haven't used a dongle for years so I did a quick search and found this page on the Microsoft web site. It looks like one might have to positively set the connection to metered.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Great info Graham, I am going to set my Alfa router connection as metered then when on slow WiFi connections should stop internet slowing to a crawl.

14. Dorwyn

Dorwyn Funster

I've found a way to stop Windows 10 trying to update, only I did want to update. I set it to download, went away to have dinner, came back to it later, now I can't find the download and when I try to download it again to see what it was called, it comes up with an error and refuses.
    So perhaps if you download while you're on wifi, that'll stop it trying to download when you're on mi-fi.