Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
The only problem with upgrading is that you need to check first that your peripherals (printers, copiers etc) and other software/programmes/games etc will still run as you may not be able to get the drivers - I used to have a lovely little platform game which was great fun to play and relaxing as not overly complicated but when we upgraded to Windows 7 I couldn't play it anymore.:( A scanner was also unable to be used either which was a shame as there was absolutely nothing wrong with it.:mad:

Attachments

• cat apple jigsaw.jpg
    cat apple jigsaw.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 9
Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
I've been on it for a few months, amazed to say I like it. This week moved wife from 7 to 10, equally successful. Only niggle is sometimes I can't save a file, like a picture, where I want to, it's a bit stroppy on permissions.

Bit of peace and quiet now she's 3 houses up the road I expect;)

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
At present I have Widows 7 should I change to Windows 10? Have you changed and what do you think?
Hi There not sure if anyone else has sugested this but why don't you upgrade to Win 10 and if you don't like it you have 1mth to revert back to Windows 7. :)

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Do you have Microsoft Office installed? If so, if you no longer have the product keys, you will not be able to run it on Windows 10.
I've had no problems with office I have 07 and 10 installed no request for product keys when I installed W10

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
I keep getting Microsoft reminders to update to 10. However HP support assistant states that my laptop does not have features that could benefit from upgrading to 10. Check that you have features that are capable of using 10 or stick to 7 as I have done.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

BwB

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2011
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Resting b'twix vans
Exp
Since 1990
My HP laptop doesn't like to turn off since upgrading to Win 10 but I can live with that. When I do occasionally need it to power off I save everything and then long power button hold. Everything else works a treat :)

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Microsoft initially said that the upgrade will only be free for the first year of launch which was sometime around the end of July 2015. I don't know if Microsoft has extended this period but for anyone thinking of upgrading then be aware that the free offer of an upgrade may end in July this year.

I found this article quite interesting, especially the last paragraph (y)

Can I Downgrade Back To Windows 7 or 8 If I Hate Windows 10?
You can absolutely downgrade from Windows 10 back to the previous version of Windows 7 or Windows 8.1. You can even totally wipe your machine and reinstall your old version of Windows with the old key. But, and this is a very big but, you can only do so within the first 30 days.

ximg_55ce4d4272002.png.pagespeed.gp+jp+jw+pj+js+rj+rp+rw+ri+cp+md.ic.sS0-MQddYo.png

After 30 days two things happens. First, the rollback files stored on the PC are deleted (thus no downgrade is possible without totally reinstalling the previous version of Windows). Second, and less visible to the user, your previous Windows key is used as a golden ticket of sorts to approve your transition into Windows 10.

RELATED ARTICLE

How to Uninstall Windows 10 and Downgrade to Windows 7 or 8.1

Don’t like Windows 10? As long as you’ve upgraded within the last month, you can uninstall Windows 10 and downgrade... [Read Article]
If you rollback your machine in that first month you get your entire old Windows installation back. If you rollback after the 30 days you aren’t as much rolling back anymore as you are just releasing your Windows 10 license and freeing up your old key to be used for your older version of Windows. You’ll still need to totally reinstall Windows and use your old key to get your old installation back up and running.

Now what’s interesting is that upgrading to Windows 10, even if you roll back to your previous version of Windows, secures you a permanent copy of Windows 10 linked to that license key. If you decide to upgrade two years from now, at least according to Microsoft at the time of this article, you’ll have a Windows 10 download waiting for you for free.

BwB

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2011
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Resting b'twix vans
Exp
Since 1990
have you tried right clicking on windows symbol bottom left or if a touch screen press n hold?
Tried everything. It's a known issue with several HP laptops. There was a work around published by HP to use an older hardware driver but I could never get it to work. They said it would be fixed in a future update but still waiting. It's not a big problem given I can use the hard-off option when needed.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Still got a few odd things happening, or not, photo viewer app doesn't open anymore when I double click on a picture so I have to "select a programme" to view pics and the solitaire card game, another app, won't work. My email link on the browser bar has given up so I now open Gmail and Tiscali from their icons. Apart from that alls well. :cautious:

Dec 28, 2015
lake district
Funster No
MH
low profile mh
Exp
Since 2015
My ACER laptop has been a nightmare since I upgraded. So it's a NO from me. Don't do it

The Lobster

Free Member
Aug 13, 2011
Borders of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Bürstner A576
Exp
Still getting started
At present I have Widows 7 should I change to Windows 10? Have you changed and what do you think?

Remember that the free upgrade to Windows 10 is time limited. As a 30+ years IT professional I'd recommend you upgrade if you can - the upgrade process will check your hardware. Even if the new and improved features don't attract you, it benefits from a few years of bug and security fixes. Also, in the future we'll all be increasingly using cloud-based services rather than applications and data all on your local PC - and Windows 10 supports these much better than Windows 7.

Jury Ward

Free Member
Apr 27, 2016
Highlands of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Elnagh
Exp
I would discourage people to upgrade to 10 from 7 as 7 is very good and whilst 10 is fine on a new machine quite often the upgrade goes wrong and you end up with a brick.
Windows 8 was total rubbish so I can see the urge to go for Windows 10 but the same upgrade issues apply so I would urge everyone to do a full backup of everything BEFORE you even attempt it.

Just a thought, why is this thread in a Motorhome forum????

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
I would discourage people to upgrade to 10 from 7 as 7 is very good and whilst 10 is fine on a new machine quite often the upgrade goes wrong and you end up with a brick.
Windows 8 was total rubbish so I can see the urge to go for Windows 10 but the same upgrade issues apply so I would urge everyone to do a full backup of everything BEFORE you even attempt it.

I was REALLY happy with XP......Until they withdrew support, as they soon will with 7 & 8. I think thats why I went over to 10. Must be honest, smooth as a nut, with no problems.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)

Because we use our laptops in the van?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back