WINDOWS 10 Should I?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by colyboy, Apr 8, 2016.

1. colyboy

colyboy Funster

At present I have Widows 7 should I change to Windows 10? Have you changed and what do you think?

colyboy

2. Munchie

Munchie Funster Life Member

We have 3 computers on 10. Never had a problem!

3. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

If windows 7 does want you want then stick with it. Eventually things like security updates will dry up but until then you should be fine.

I changed to 10 from 7 but was driven mostly be curiosity. There is a learning curve with 10 so be prepared for that.

If your computer is fairly new it should upgrade without any problems but some folk have had issues and binned 10.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Tootles

Tootles Funster

I was the same......Then pressed the 'go' button. (y) Not only is 10 brill, it's turned my life around. (y) I used to be grumpy, argumentative, hot under the collar, constantly at war with the world, prejudiced, a Nazi, stupid, boring, obnoxious, and a true ass hole......:cry::cry::cry::cry:
    Now look at me! :)

• Funny Funny x 16
    • Like Like x 6
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

I like 7 and have resisted all temptations to go to 10. Microsoft are supporting 7 till 2020 so no urgency.
    I still have a laptop running XP as I Have some software that won't run on 7 never mind 10.

• Like Like x 5
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

to be honest i am getting bored with win 10. nothing seems to go wrong with it (yet)

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. themogs

themogs Funster

Had a few issues on the Wi-Fi front with 10, but that apart, it's good

8. DanielFord

DanielFord Funster

Do you have Microsoft Office installed? If so, if you no longer have the product keys, you will not be able to run it on Windows 10.

9. Munchie

Munchie Funster Life Member

Errm runs ok on ours. Not been asked for keys.

• Useful Useful x 1
  10. Tincataylor

Tincataylor Funster

Stick with 7, Windows 10 has been a nightmare on our less than 2 year old laptop. The "start" button and the Cortana elements seem to be the cause of the trouble. If it were not for the fact that we have been able to suss out work arounds this OS would be virtually useless.

The Tincas

• Like Like x 1
  11. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Still on 7 on the main machine.. Though I finally ditched the old server in the loft recently which was STILL running Novell 5 ..
    Laptop is on XP, and I have some ancient BBS software that likes Windows 3.x but I have fiddled with it and is now really up to date with Windows 97 !!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

fine on the laptops in my house and same for others i have seen. just ran the upgrade and it all just worked as it should

13. Tweedie

Tweedie Funster

Had vista on old PC which has just been replaced with new running windows 10. A few minor tweeks to get rid of pop ups and cortana telling me what to do etc. Like it so far no problems.

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. PeteH

PeteH Funster

I had an extreme amount of issues with10. Now (finally) have it running dual boot, so that I can play with it when I want to become frustrated:mad:. And go back to the peace and calm of 7 when the blood pressure rockets!.:D.

My issue came about as My Dell came preloaded with win8. Now THAT was a load of C****!!. prior to 10 coming on stream I wiped 8 and loaded a copy of 7Pro, I had kicking about, after a laptop belonging to my grandson got swiped and the insurers replaced it (with a little help from dad), which left me with a copy of 7pro:). However when I wanted to Load 10 it would not accept the Key. After months of "negotiation" I managed to persuade Ms. to validate it using they original win 8 key!.

I am currently attempting to get rid of all the "C888" on the desktop (Icon thingys etc) and have part got the Short cuts I NEED on the desktop. But I am struggling to load a lot of my "Legacy" software, which I am familiar with, and miss the OLD windows "stuff" which has been changed (IMHO not for the better). For instance, I use Lotus Smart Suite, which was dropped in 2000!. but does everything I want, and often far better that (say) Word. But getting it to load under 10 demanded days of manipulating the registry and invoking 2 levels of "Compatability"!. Equally Microsoft`s own Autoroute 2006 wont run except in compatibility mode!. As I neither want, nor use, a "touch" screen except on my tablet! I see no reason to have a desktop full of mindless clutter!.

My message to Bill Gate`s? " What part of "If it ain`t broke dont fix it! do you NOT understand!"

Pete

• Like Like x 2
  15. Xabia

Xabia Funster

Find it very slow, email app not working, even Microsoft support can't sort it out, having to use Mailbird for emails. After years with Windows I shall probably be moving over to a Mac, the iPads are so good, fast and trouble free that it has convinced me that Apple are superior to Microsoft.

• Like Like x 1
  16. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

I've been on it for a few months, amazed to say I like it. This week moved wife from 7 to 10, equally successful. Only niggle is sometimes I can't save a file, like a picture, where I want to, it's a bit stroppy on permissions.

• Like Like x 1
  17. solo 1

solo 1 Funster Life Member

Am happy with 7 but new lappy came with 10 and now I'm not a happy lappy chappy, Patrick (y) :D

18. Tootles

Tootles Funster

Steady. You may go blind............:(

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

Nah, I'll pass on that invitation Tootsy ... don't want to run the risk of meeting you on your bike ... :X3:

• Like Like x 1
  20. Tootles

Tootles Funster

How can you say that, when I keep thinking of buying some of your second hand ta........er.......quality motorhome products?? :(