WINDOWS 10 Should I? (1 Viewer)

Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
At present I have Widows 7 should I change to Windows 10? Have you changed and what do you think?

colyboy

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
If windows 7 does want you want then stick with it. Eventually things like security updates will dry up but until then you should be fine.

I changed to 10 from 7 but was driven mostly be curiosity. There is a learning curve with 10 so be prepared for that.

If your computer is fairly new it should upgrade without any problems but some folk have had issues and binned 10.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
At present I have Widows 7 should I change to Windows 10? Have you changed and what do you think?

colyboy
I was the same......Then pressed the 'go' button. (y) Not only is 10 brill, it's turned my life around. (y) I used to be grumpy, argumentative, hot under the collar, constantly at war with the world, prejudiced, a Nazi, stupid, boring, obnoxious, and a true ass hole......:cry::cry::cry::cry:
Now look at me! :)

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
to be honest i am getting bored with win 10. nothing seems to go wrong with it (yet)

themogs

Free Member
Oct 23, 2012
Wales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Not Long Enough.
Had a few issues on the Wi-Fi front with 10, but that apart, it's good

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No

colyboy
Do you have Microsoft Office installed? If so, if you no longer have the product keys, you will not be able to run it on Windows 10.

Tincataylor

Free Member
Jul 9, 2012
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Never leave a campsite with your clothes line tied to a lamp post.
Stick with 7, Windows 10 has been a nightmare on our less than 2 year old laptop. The "start" button and the Cortana elements seem to be the cause of the trouble. If it were not for the fact that we have been able to suss out work arounds this OS would be virtually useless.

The Tincas

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Still on 7 on the main machine.. Though I finally ditched the old server in the loft recently which was STILL running Novell 5 ..
Laptop is on XP, and I have some ancient BBS software that likes Windows 3.x but I have fiddled with it and is now really up to date with Windows 97 !!

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Do you have Microsoft Office installed? If so, if you no longer have the product keys, you will not be able to run it on Windows 10.
fine on the laptops in my house and same for others i have seen. just ran the upgrade and it all just worked as it should

Tweedie

Free Member
Sep 14, 2015
Northants
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 740
Exp
1 year (getting a bit experienced now)
Had vista on old PC which has just been replaced with new running windows 10. A few minor tweeks to get rid of pop ups and cortana telling me what to do etc. Like it so far no problems.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I had an extreme amount of issues with10. Now (finally) have it running dual boot, so that I can play with it when I want to become frustrated:mad:. And go back to the peace and calm of 7 when the blood pressure rockets!.:D.

My issue came about as My Dell came preloaded with win8. Now THAT was a load of C****!!. prior to 10 coming on stream I wiped 8 and loaded a copy of 7Pro, I had kicking about, after a laptop belonging to my grandson got swiped and the insurers replaced it (with a little help from dad), which left me with a copy of 7pro:). However when I wanted to Load 10 it would not accept the Key. After months of "negotiation" I managed to persuade Ms. to validate it using they original win 8 key!.

I am currently attempting to get rid of all the "C888" on the desktop (Icon thingys etc) and have part got the Short cuts I NEED on the desktop. But I am struggling to load a lot of my "Legacy" software, which I am familiar with, and miss the OLD windows "stuff" which has been changed (IMHO not for the better). For instance, I use Lotus Smart Suite, which was dropped in 2000!. but does everything I want, and often far better that (say) Word. But getting it to load under 10 demanded days of manipulating the registry and invoking 2 levels of "Compatability"!. Equally Microsoft`s own Autoroute 2006 wont run except in compatibility mode!. As I neither want, nor use, a "touch" screen except on my tablet! I see no reason to have a desktop full of mindless clutter!.

My message to Bill Gate`s? " What part of "If it ain`t broke dont fix it! do you NOT understand!"

Pete

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
Find it very slow, email app not working, even Microsoft support can't sort it out, having to use Mailbird for emails. After years with Windows I shall probably be moving over to a Mac, the iPads are so good, fast and trouble free that it has convinced me that Apple are superior to Microsoft.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

colyboy

I've been on it for a few months, amazed to say I like it. This week moved wife from 7 to 10, equally successful. Only niggle is sometimes I can't save a file, like a picture, where I want to, it's a bit stroppy on permissions.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I was the same......Then pressed the 'go' button. (y) Not only is 10 brill, it's turned my life around. (y) I used to be grumpy, argumentative, hot under the collar, constantly at war with the world, prejudiced, a Nazi, stupid, boring, obnoxious, and a true ass hole......:cry::cry::cry::cry:
Now look at me! :)
Nah, I'll pass on that invitation Tootsy ... don't want to run the risk of meeting you on your bike ... :X3:

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Nah, I'll pass on that invitation Tootsy ... don't want to run the risk of meeting you on your bike ... :X3:
How can you say that, when I keep thinking of buying some of your second hand ta........er.......quality motorhome products?? :(

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
How can you say that, when I keep thinking of buying some of your second hand ta........er.......quality motorhome products?? :(

Not got a lot of MH stuff left now ... just a few odds and sods but all stuck at the back of the workshop behind hubby's tents etc so can't get at it at the moment.

... not into jigsaw puzzles are you Tootsy? Still got loads of them to sell ... they're clogging up our spare bedroom! :rolleyes:

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I want to buy and apple one, next time but three times the price.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
I like 10, had one or two odd things happen like my Realtek audio disappearing yesterday so I had no sound, I suspect it was an update to blame but after googling the problem downloaded it again.

Melvin

Free Member
Jan 22, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
On & off since 1974
I gave up with Microsoft just have a I pad which is simples ,which is just as well as I'm a numty with computers.

ianandkath

Free Member
Jun 4, 2015
spain/uk
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
2 years
running 10 on my main pc, 10 on the laptop, but have a spare laptop running 7 pro.
office runs fine on all of them, never been asked for a key. don't have one anyway

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
everything worked fine on mine from the minute i upgraded it even cured some minor problems i had been having

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Took the upgrade just put free at the end of the description and im in(y), and all is well on 4 pcs but had to wind back the two Garage ones to W7 as the printers (Both expensive laser type) and some garage equipment would not work with 10:cry:
I like 10 on those that have it, had no probs at all

Deleted User
Microsoft initially said that the upgrade will only be free for the first year of launch which was sometime around the end of July 2015. I don't know if Microsoft has extended this period but for anyone thinking of upgrading then be aware that the free offer of an upgrade may end in July this year.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back