Windows 10 forced update, no way to back out now. (1 Viewer)

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
A couple of weeks ago Microsoft changed their windows 10 nagware so that it now schedules the update. If you didn't cancel it you would find yourself upgraded.

They have now removed the way to back out of it apparently.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/06/01/windows_10_nagware_no_way_out/

Looks like unless you take positive action to remove the nagware you will be forced to upgrade.

I can't currently confirm this as my windows laptop is currently being re-installed with Linux and I haven't got round to setting up dual boot.

I just thought I would provide a warning. I previously posted a link to this site which has a little tool to stop the update nags.

https://www.grc.com/never10.htm

If you don't mind using regedit, You can try this.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/01/08/windows_10_upgrade_blocker/

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Thanks for the Never10 Link Karl
If my Garage system self upgrades im out of business till i buy new equipment that is required for MoT /Diagnostics and printing/scanning
It would cost me a good few beer tokens
My equipment has been tried on W10 and it simply wont work, drivers are not being supplied by the Manf for W10. Im even using alternative drivers to get some kit working in W7 as its all basicly XP based stuff that dont like running in emulator modes either
Geo(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Ambilkate

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 15, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
HYMER 654
Exp
since 2006
Left my laptop on Yesterday whilst we were out for the day :( when we got back windows 10 had installed :( had no choice had to continue . First impression ok but I havnt checked out all files ect . Hope all my pics are still on . We are away over the weekend at soul meet so will check it all out when We are back .
Kind regards Kate x

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Im even using alternative drivers to get some kit working in W7 as its all basicly XP based stuff that dont like running in emulator modes either

You could go back to running XP

I use XP an old Dell to run viewing software that won't run on W7

.. you can get updates until 2019 using this hack ...

Create a text file with the following (you can copy & paste), use Notepad.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\WPA\PosReady]
"Installed"=dword:00000001

Now save the file as a .reg file, e.g. xp.reg, do make sure it is a .reg file and not a .reg.txt file.

Now navigate to the file you just created, double click on it and it will install in the registry, you should get a warning message if you have done it correctly.

Go to Security Centre in Control Panel and make sure Windows updates are turned on.

Re-boot your PC.

Now one last thing, the first update you need to do manually, click the start button then click "Windows update" or you can do it via IE.

IE should open with the update page which will run a check on your machine and download & install necessary files for the auto updates to work.

You will now receive updates until April 9th 2019.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
My last machine with xp on it Jim has long gone I would not actively seek it having got it all running on W7 But maybe someone will make use of that Tip

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
so will check it all out when We are back .
Kind regards Kate x

You should be fine. Two upgrades here, well 3 because I cancelled one, and everything intact. I think it's giving much more protection because it asks permission before many changes to are stored on the drive.

The start up time, when it's not doing an upgrade, is blindingly quick. When first installed it did do a lot of upgrading which took time but now it's only occasionally.

I now think this big push is to match Apple and try and get you to keep buying from the Microsoft store, which is optional.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
@Gromett. Karl, does this mean that whilst we've been abroad for several weeks, there is every chance MS has turned on our home PC, and installed Win 10, even though I have been rejecting their constant reminders to install? :eek:

If so, it's a bl##dy liberty. :mad:

Cheers,

Jock.

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
@Gromett. Karl, does this mean that whilst we've been abroad for several weeks, there is every chance MS has turned on our home PC, and installed Win 10, even though I have been rejecting their constant reminders to install? :eek:

If so, it's a bl##dy liberty. :mad:

Cheers,

Jock.
Not sure if you are serious lol..

When you get back after the first update has run it is likely from what I understand that MS will automatically schedule the update for you :eek:o_O

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Not sure if you are serious lol..

When you get back after the first update has run it is likely from what I understand that MS will automatically schedule the update for you :eek:o_O
I'm not as IT savvy as yourself Karl ;) so yes, I am serious. My home PC has turned on during the night, and Windows updates have been installed, so what's to stop Win 10 being installed whilst I am absent? :(

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I used the Never 10 thingy which seems to have worked. SWMBO had the w10 installation happen which she didn't request, however its OK on her PC as she only uses it for email and Internet purchases.

Mine has some software that won't work with w10, and in fact I have some that will only work with XP, which I have on a laptop.

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I'm not as IT savvy as yourself Karl ;) so yes, I am serious. My home PC has turned on during the night, and Windows updates have been installed, so what's to stop Win 10 being installed whilst I am absent? :(

Cheers,

Jock. :)
Windows itself can't turn your computer on. If it is turning on un-requested then it is likely either a hardware or a firmware issue. It is Definately either a motherboard or PSU issue and nothing that windows itself is doing.

If you have left your PC plugged in while you are away, and you have this problem, then yes it may upgrade while you are away. However providing you are back within 30 days of it upgrading you can reverse it.

Delboyarapaho

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 17, 2013
Herts UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Liner for T
Exp
Since 2013
both my desktop and laptops have upgraded themselves while I was overseas. both seem to run ok but while the email folder structure exists on both, the emails in the folders themselves are only available on the desk top. the laptop shows the folders but even after sync ing they are not available on the laptop. any ideas?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back