LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
You didn't need to run the the command line version.

I go back way before MSDOS. I can't remember all the various DOSes running on Tandy and Video Genie machines. At a time where graphics and networks were unknown to normal people.

I was horrified when I had to move with the times and write for windows, it was so very inefficient compared to a text input screen for things like production control.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: DBK
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I go back way before MSDOS. I can't remember all the various DOSes running on Tandy and Video Genie machines. At a time where graphics and networks were unknown to normal people.

I was horrified when I had to move with the times and write for windows, it was so very inefficient compared to a text input screen for things like production control.

Ah ok. Bash is miles better than the DOS prompt ever was. (y)
I spend most of my time in a bash prompt. I get things done much quicker than playing with silly pictures :)

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I get things done much quicker than playing with silly pictures :)

But talking of pictures, I have now accessed Eurosport and MotoGP which have in the past moaned a lot about up to date DRM handlers. I'm surprised. Pleasantly surprised.

One thing has temporarily stumped me, slotting in a new hosts file. From GUI I can't sudo and from terminal I can't remember all the paths. So how do I get su for file manager ? Meanwhile ublock has cleaned up FUN a treat.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
But talking of pictures, I have now accessed Eurosport and MotoGP which have in the past moaned a lot about up to date DRM handlers. I'm surprised. Pleasantly surprised.

One thing has temporarily stumped me, slotting in a new hosts file. From GUI I can't sudo and from terminal I can't remember all the paths. So how do I get su for file manager ? Meanwhile ublock has cleaned up FUN a treat.

sudo xed %U /etc/hosts

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Keep us updated on how you get on please (y)

Sure will. I can say now with some certainty that anyone fearing that leap to W10 can go Linux free of charge and be able to access FUN and the like just the same as with windows.

Which you obviously know but I wasn't sure of. I recall someone with a W7 PC fretting about the future due to support shutting down, there is a Linux candidate. Someone else was running XP and in the same boat. Only downside is if a person has paid for Windows software they need, like me, I recently bought a movie editor to edit my head-cam files and it works a treat for removing adverts from off air downloads.

You would be very popular at a "Save my old pc/laptop with Linux meet".

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I recently bought a movie editor to edit my head-cam files and it works a treat for removing adverts from off air downloads
Have a look at openshot. It is in the Software Library. it is what I use for editing my videos.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
You will also want to consider loading frei0r-plugins for openshot if you like effects.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Thanks, again, I guessed that was coming. I'd be a case of wine better off if I'd got the L bug a year ago.
You have 3 main options to run windows programs on Linux.
KVM - Nice and integrated into linux but requires a lot of technical stuff and configurations.
VirtualBox. Always works but not good for games.
Wine - Rarely works 100% reliably for graphically intense stuff but when it does tends to give better performance than native windows.

See how you get on with OpenShot. It is better to use a built in tool than use emulation if you can.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Thunderbird now set up, easy enough since I used TB on W10.

Made my first Linux ebay purchase yesterday.

So that's about it, on a day to day basis just about free of M$.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Thunderbird now set up, easy enough since I used TB on W10.

Made my first Linux ebay purchase yesterday.

So that's about it, on a day to day basis just about free of M$.
Did you try openshot? If so how did you get on with it?

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Did you try openshot? If so how did you get on with it?

Not had any need yet.

I've been having a dabble with Glade and Python. First tiny Linux GUI program executed, naturally it printer "Hello World".

I reverted to W10 for a few minutes today, just to check an old email.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Just come unstuck on Linux !

I need a photo resize program to shrink them to up load, which to I use ? Basically an Irfanview type program.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Just come unstuck on Linux !

I need a photo resize program to shrink them to up load, which to I use ? Basically an Irfanview type program.
I use Gimp, but perhaps a bit overkill.

Pix should however be pre-installed it is in the Graphics menu.

Lots of other software to try though if neither of these two are suitable.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
So, looking back, I'm 10 days into Linux. In that time I've only swapped to W10 a handful of times to look up an old email or password stored in W. No concessions or forcing myself to use Linux, it just works every bit as well as W10 but never gets in my way, which was regular with windows "you don't have permission" "you need to be administrator" "Oh Please! I AM AN ADMISTRATOR" I yell to no effect.

I have this strange sense of being free. Free from some big brother always looking over my shoulder. I am in control of My computer.

Love it.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I am in control of My computer.
This sums up precisely why I moved to Linux and hate other OS's.

I presume you have had to 'suffer' a few updates. How good are they then :D

I think you mentioned you were having a play with Python?

I have been doing my annual personal development session and one of the books I just bought may interest you.

Neural Networks... How they work and apparently shows you how to create your own in Python. At this price (£2.18) I thought it was worth a punt. Got it in my library to read once I have finished this one. which is taking some getting through.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Posted in wrong thread, so duplicated here....

Linux wins again !

So it's the start of the race season, I boot up the trusty Win XP machine attached to TV, go into Eurosport "Win XT is now obsolete and not supported by Eurosport".

"Damn" says I.

So I grab my Raspberry Pi V3, connect to TV, boot up and watch a flawless Eurosport video. I change to MotoGP and that works fine. Two protected services and Linux worked them perfectly. all for under £35.

@Jaws was asking about an "intelligent TV" for his MH, now these tend to offer a load of entertainment related links but the little Pi will run all these and do emails and browsing and other computer jobs as well, all on 5W or so of power and just a bit bigger than a credit card.

My Pi is loaded with the NOOBS load of Linux using a 32G cd card which has masses of space left for downloads.

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
I must have missed the announcement ...
When Microsoft start doing "clean" installs ? :roflmto:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
And Linux rolls on and on............

Super Intelligent TV.

We NEED internet to TV to watch bike racing via Eurosport and MotoGP. I had a neat little mini PC running Win XP ( big Ahhhhhhhhhhhh ) which this season kept displaying NO LONGER SUPPORTED ( big **&*^^^*^* and ^^%%$**^ ).

So I try little Raspberry Pi 3. It just worked. I expected DRM trouble because both feeds are protected but both worked using Firefox as supplied. So pleased was I, I made a mounting bracket for the TV for the RPi to live there permanently. And ordered another RPi 3 to keep tinkering.

You might notice a tiny USB plug in, this is to a mini wireless keyboard. It makes for a far more "intelligent" TV than Curry's will sell because just about anything will run on it, not just what the TV manufacturer think you might want.

So since this thread started I've gone from 1 Linux on a slow RPi 2 to 6 Linux machines and might do wife's W10 PC because she's moaning about SLOW.

RPi3TVs.jpg

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005

Super Intelligent TV.

We NEED internet to TV to watch bike racing via Eurosport and MotoGP. I had a neat little mini PC running Win XP ( big Ahhhhhhhhhhhh ) which this season kept displaying NO LONGER SUPPORTED ( big **&*^^^*^* and ^^%%$**^ ).

So I try little Raspberry Pi 3. It just worked. I expected DRM trouble because both feeds are protected but both worked using Firefox as supplied. So pleased was I, I made a mounting bracket for the TV for the RPi to live there permanently. And ordered another RPi 3 to keep tinkering.

You might notice a tiny USB plug in, this is to a mini wireless keyboard. It makes for a far more "intelligent" TV than Curry's will sell because just about anything will run on it, not just what the TV manufacturer think you might want.

So since this thread started I've gone from 1 Linux on a slow RPi 2 to 6 Linux machines and might do wife's W10 PC because she's moaning about SLOW.
So pleased to have a another Linux fan :D

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp

Super Intelligent TV.

View attachment 153136
So are you basically getting the TV through the browser?

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
So are you basically getting the TV through the browser?

Not normally, though it would via iPlayer, Kodi and the like. Eurosport does a subscription, about £3 a month for those who can't get it via satellite. MotoGP has it's own subscription for those who can't watch via BT Sport and in fact it's far better for both because most programs are available to watch at any time later.

The Raspberry Pi 3 has built in WiFi and network cable so a pretty good proposition for motorhome use. Just a bit bigger than a credit card and will do all people need on the road. Since it has 4 USB ports you can plug in a decent USB HD and back up those photographs. Or you take a laptop.

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Not normally, though it would via iPlayer, Kodi and the like. Eurosport does a subscription, about £3 a month for those who can't get it via satellite. MotoGP has it's own subscription for those who can't watch via BT Sport and in fact it's far better for both because most programs are available to watch at any time later.

The Raspberry Pi 3 has built in WiFi and network cable so a pretty good proposition for motorhome use. Just a bit bigger than a credit card and will do all people need on the road. Since it has 4 USB ports you can plug in a decent USB HD and back up those photographs. Or you take a laptop.
Your last point is food for thought Brian. It would give peace of mind if I could back up my photos onto another drive while away. I would have to lug my laptop around at the moment, which I don't because of space constraints.
Does the Linux you are using on the Pi make using USB drives easy? As I understand it Linux doesn't see external drives in the way Windows does and this confused me when I tried it. :)

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Does the Linux you are using on the Pi make using USB drives easy? As I understand it Linux doesn't see external drives in the way Windows does and this confused me when I tried it. :)
Linux can use more external drives than windows can. It can read and write to pretty much any filesystem going, Mac, Windows, Many different flavours of Linux, Unix, Sun/Oracle etc etc.

I think you may be thinking about mount points. On Windows each drive gets it's own drive letter. No other OS as far as I am aware does this. Under linux you mount them onto the existing file system.

For instance on mine I have a folder called /media/
I have a separate hard drive for films, and another for the TV series etc. I mount them like this.
/media/films
/media/tv

For my documents I have in my home directory a folder called backup and I mount my documents back up there.
Documents/backup

When you put an external USB disk in that you haven't already set the mount point on it will be automatically mounted into
/media/<username>/disk_label_name

But as with anything on Linux you can change how things are done.

for instance if you wanted to replicate drive letters you could create a folder called /d and mount your external disk there.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back