Window tinting ?

Discussion in 'Auto-Trail' started by pvw10, Jan 26, 2014.

1. pvw10

pvw10 Read Only Funster

I see many new Caravans fitted with almost Black windows which are a little "Marmite" however my rear side window is where the fixed bed is so this would be good to have in Black (before the lights are turned on).
    I know the plastic windows react to a number of things but does anybody know if window tinting on the inside would be ok ?

I have a good guy whom has done our car rear windows but obviously wish to know if anybody has heard anything ?

As ever thanks in advance.

2. Merle

Merle Funster

It rather sounds like the guy you know is the man to ask........but please let us in on the answer, I've been thinking about doing the same :thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  3. pvw10

pvw10 Read Only Funster

He was my first contact, he does Cars for a living but guess what, nothing else and i don't want to be the test pilot :O)

4. Merle

Merle Funster

O I C the problem as I see it would be that my windows, and perhaps yours, are shaped on the inside....could be a bit 'iffy' to get a good finish. As regards any reaction on the plastic, I'll be honest I hadn't given that a thought :Doh:

5. pvw10

pvw10 Read Only Funster

The chap i know said the flat areas of the window are easy, he would leave the shaped outer edge as its impossible to get into the deeper areas and around the catches, I'm happy with that.

I just remember hearing somewhere something, it was people putting cling film on the outside to protect from winter covers rubbing, panic ensued as some boffins said it would destroy the plastic ?

• Like Like x 1
  6. Merle

Merle Funster

I had totally forgotten about that. Hmm, it does make you a bit apprehensive doesn't it

7. mentaliss

mentaliss

Had mine on a previous MH, heated the film up with my hot air gun sufficiently to shape the film onto the contours of the plastic windows ...sold the vehicle earlier this year after 'film' had been on there nearly 18 months with no problems:RollEyes:

8. pvw10

pvw10 Read Only Funster

Great job thanks.
    Just had my tame window chap come back, after checking the stud stuff is fine, any gasses the plastic produces will eek out at the edges so I'm going to try it.

9. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

Its good to hear you aren't tinting all your windows.

We had an Elddis Autocirrus with Seitz privacy windows. Looked smart from the outside but it ruined the evening views and had us turning on lights early!:Doh:

• Like Like x 1
  10. Vlad The Impaler

Vlad The Impaler Funster

Get the mirror effect,may ad a bit of fun to bedtime!
    You could have a full moon every night. :Rofl1::Wink:

Vlad

• Like Like x 1
  11. pvw10

pvw10 Read Only Funster

I bet it did. Yes I feel the two very back ones around the fixed bed would be good, all the rest are perfect as they are. It's just a pain having the nets/blinds down it's to dark so tint may be a solution.
    Going to do one window and see though just in case, if it looks odd then off it comes.

12. pvw10

pvw10 Read Only Funster

Ha ha ha, already get both a full moon and mountain peaks mate :)

• Like Like x 1
  13. Mastercamper

Mastercamper Read Only Funster

My Renault Master conversion has black privacy windows all round behind the drivers seat. They are all glass, and are pretty good. I believe that they have been film coated before I bought it.
    During the day total privacy is assured without a great deal of natural light loss.
    With interior lights on, however, you do need to close the curtains or blinds.

• Like Like x 1
  14. tofo

tofo Funster

Could you cut a piece of flat plastic
    ( damaged stuff with the right undamaged area from a b&q type place)
    to the shape you need

Then tint that fit with suckers when required or Velcro

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Last edited: Jan 31, 2014
  15. pvw10

pvw10 Read Only Funster

That's a fair shout thanks, I did considor a window from a breakers and jig saw it but I can do each window for £40, and as only Two I think it deserves the full monte.

16. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

the glue does react with the plastic, but when it does, peel off the film, clean the surface of glue and redo the tint. should get a few years out of each application though

i have tinted a few plastic windows over the years and never had major problems. i used the tint on a roll available cheaply on ebay. doesnt take long to do a good job. takes longest to get the windows spotless and grease free

• Like Like x 1
  17. signworks

signworks Funster Life Member

The glue on the vinyl will cause the window to craze over time with sun on it as the acrylic needs to breath also the vinyl as it shrinks will make the window bow slightly if it is glass no probs acrylic not a good idea

Cheers :Blush:

18. pvw10

pvw10 Read Only Funster

Good shout and thanks.
    It should be noted that, and confirmed by the tint maker, the sun, uv and heat have to pass through two plastic tinted panels plus the large cavity before reaching the film.
    What you say is relevant but more so on single glazed windows, however what they say is replace every 5 years so this confirms what you say.

19. Hellboy

Hellboy Funster

• Like Like x 1
  20. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

An alternative would be lighting and/or filter gel sheets - these are what are used to put on spotlights etc to give coloured lighting effects and come in a vast array of colours and sizes. They are thin and are cheap too, with the advantage that you can put them in place (suckers/clips/even little bits of Velcro!), or remove them, as you wish.

You could get one large sheet for each window, or, to be a bit 'Hyacinth Bucket' get a multicoloured set and make a leaded window effect! :BigGrin:

Alternatively, if you want a boudoir effect you could get red ones!!! :Blush:

gel sheets