Free Member
Aug 12, 2012
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER FLAIR
Exp
TWO YEARS
Hello looking for advice on window tinting. What would be best to tint windows I want privacy to a degree but not sure about full limo type (blackout)
How dark must it be or should I say how light can I go. Thanks for any advice
.......................Bruce

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Rear window, rear side only are permitted. Front door window and windscreen must remain untouched.

For untinted, or lightly tinted a dark smoke will be suitable. For heavily tinted windows, a light smoke will suffice. Light smoke is very light though - it has a similar tint to standard tinted windows.

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
Nice to have privacy but beware. A few manufacturers already fit tinted perspex (tinted in manufacture) to caravans and motorhomes but as you enter the interior looses a lot of light. It would be best to check out a vehicle already fitted with perspex tint and decide for yourself. DON'T fit self adhesive tint to your perspex windows though. I have tinted hundreds of vehicles over the years but the glue contained in the self adhesive tint causes the perspex to craze (small cracks). Over a period of time this can result in very big and expensive problems. Also, once it is fitted to the perspex it cannot be removed easily without causing damage.
Wilf

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Bruce

Bruce

Free Member
Aug 12, 2012
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER FLAIR
Exp
TWO YEARS
Nice to have privacy but beware. A few manufacturers already fit tinted perspex (tinted in manufacture) to caravans and motorhomes but as you enter the interior looses a lot of light. It would be best to check out a vehicle already fitted with perspex tint and decide for yourself. DON'T fit self adhesive tint to your perspex windows though. I have tinted hundreds of vehicles over the years but the glue contained in the self adhesive tint causes the perspex to craze (small cracks). Over a period of time this can result in very big and expensive problems. Also, once it is fitted to the perspex it cannot be removed easily without causing damage.
Wilf

Thanks for reply
I don`t have perspex windows it
was a minibus does this make a difference
......Bruce

yorkshirepudding

Free Member
Nov 7, 2009
Pudsey/Leeds
Funster No
MH
Thinking of tenting again
Exp
September '09
Full - black as my father's hat - tint still lets sufficient light through during daylight but ensures adequate security. It also provides entertainment watching vain passers by preening themselves as they watch their reflection.
BTW mine is standard Ford Transit side glass.

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
one of the most entertaining is if you get silver as it just goes like a mirror on the outside and you get all sorts checking their hair / makeup etc in the reflection.

also you could try some of the fade out type that makes it fairly dark down low to not much at higher levels.

jb0371old

Free Member
Jul 8, 2011
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
1 year
legal on the habitiation windows, but dont put it on the vehicle ones as the rozzers will check with there meter and it has to let let 70% of light through. Just watched a copper on tv rip some off a chavs car, most entertaining, dont really know why he as complaining as it looked shite:ROFLMAO:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
legal on the habitiation windows, but dont put it on the vehicle ones as the rozzers will check with there meter and it has to let let 70% of light through. Just watched a copper on tv rip some off a chavs car, most entertaining, dont really know why he as complaining as it looked shite:ROFLMAO:
you beat me too it !

front door windows can be tinted but as you say, they must let in 70% of ambient light level...rear door glass and rear windows can be as black as a black thing in a dark place.

windscreens shouldn't be tinted at all, except for the 'sun visor' type tint strips at the top.

OP
OP
Bruce

Bruce

Free Member
Aug 12, 2012
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER FLAIR
Exp
TWO YEARS
Hi I am at the stage of tinting rear of minibus what are the normal privacy tint shades that I could use or do I have to go as dark as Black
What sort of privacy and what sort of smoked tint could I use to stop people seeing in Any help please
Thanks................Bruce

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
you could use a silver tint but even that is quite dark from the inside looking out.
though net curtains do stop people seeing in unless its dark outside and you are infront of the light then anyone can see.

OP
OP
Bruce

Bruce

Free Member
Aug 12, 2012
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER FLAIR
Exp
TWO YEARS
you could use a silver tint but even that is quite dark from the inside looking out.
though net curtains do stop people seeing in unless its dark outside and you are infront of the light then anyone can see.

Thanks for reply took plnge and ordered limo black cheap enough if it`s a disaster but should be ok Bruce

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back