Dafydd

Free Member
Oct 12, 2011
St Davids, West Wales
Funster No
MH
Frankia on order
Exp
I posted this in a thread on insurance but I'll re-post it here because it's the best solution to window security that I've seen after doing some research. I still find it amazing that motorhome manufacturers have not addressed the glaring insecurity of motorhome windows which any thief can open in a jiffy.

Window lockplates (screw the windows shut)
I've been looking up window security. As many people point out, if a thief really, really wants in then they'll find a way (like getting onto the roof and in through a roof-window, smashing the cab windows etc). Decent deterence is the best we can hope for.

So far this system from germany is the best I've seen, from http://wohnmobil-sicherheit.de/
(google translate is your friend!), contact them in english for more information as their english page is not yet written. You can use google-translate for the german text and you'll understand well enough. These are steel plates (drilling required) and you screw the windows shut when leaving your motorhome.
Alan Heath has made this informative video of him having the locks fitted:
Unless I see better available in the UK, I will get these fitted in Germany when I get my van next year.
Daf

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Thank you for posting that - not seen that system before & looks very effective for security when stored but would be a bit concerned about getting out in an emergency:( We have Lock M Out security devices on all our suitable windows & these are a quick, easy to remove, relatively cheap option - both would cover all options?! See http://lock-m-out.co.uk/ :xsmile:

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Speaking as an ex crime reduction officer I like the German solution as it protects the whole of the bottom of the window whereas the lock-m-out device just covers the cockspurs the weakness would be their fixings to the window and that's probably where they would fail.I will be getting some of the German type when they become available.:xThumb::xThumb::xThumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Agreed the German system does look much more secure - just need someone to import them now! In an ideal world think I would use a combination of the two when in the motorhome to ensure could get out quick in event of a fire. Would be even better if the manufacturers would fit a more secure design of window in the first place...

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
I presume the metal reinforcement bar is stainless steel ? Seems a simple idea and fitting, but I would have had handles on the reinforcement bar which push pins into the frame rather than using screws, therefore you could quickly lift the handles to open the window in an emergency, same as the plastic ones. Maybe even handles which come inside the frame to spread the load.

Might look at the bottom of my windows and see how difficult it would be to get such an item manufactured.

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Website link mentions aluminium - probably needs to be light. Would be great if there was a UK version & pins would make sense:xThumb:

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
Stainless steel would be way stronger than aluminium of the same sizes.

OP
OP
Dafydd

Dafydd

Free Member
Oct 12, 2011
St Davids, West Wales
Funster No
MH
Frankia on order
Exp
You've got a point Wombles about getting out in an emergency... but would you screw the windows locked while you were sleeping? I don't think I would, personally.
If someone climbed in through the window wouldn't you wake up? At some point?

When I leave my house I deadlock it but when I'm in bed it's just on the Yale.... same deal I guess.
It's all imagined risk, isn't it (until something actually happens)? We all wonder "what would happen if...", "what would I do if...".
I would put safety paranoia before security paranoia, so I would never lock myself in - in case of fire or whatever

For me the attraction of these screw plates (as far as I can tell from the video) is that they would be a substantial deterrent. A thief would pretty much have to wrench the entire window out of the wall to get in. And the situation that I'd be most paranoid about is leaving the van unattended while I'm off somewhere for the day. If a thief really wanted to he could smash the cab windows and climb in (as the doors would be deadlocked), he could ignore the alarm as would most passers-by.... but that wouldn't be the majority of opportunists. All we can do is minimise the risk, deter the common thief.

This system does look pricey, judging from the website and compared to the Lock-M-out, but I'll be spending "half a house" on a van next year so a few hundred to get these fitted is worth it from what I can see (I'm not a DIYer with things like this).

OP
OP
Dafydd

Dafydd

Free Member
Oct 12, 2011
St Davids, West Wales
Funster No
MH
Frankia on order
Exp
Stainless steel would be way stronger than aluminium of the same sizes.
From their website "infos" page via google translate: "The safety profile is made of high quality stainless steel. In the series, the profiles are manufactured with advanced equipment. The cutting is done with laser beams, then the profile is molded with special tools.
All parts of the safety profile of stainless steel. As a result, an absolute protection against rust and durability is guaranteed"

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
You've got a point Wombles about getting out in an emergency... but would you screw the windows locked while you were sleeping? I don't think I would, personally.
If someone climbed in through the window wouldn't you wake up? At some point?

When I leave my house I deadlock it but when I'm in bed it's just on the Yale.... same deal I guess.
It's all imagined risk, isn't it (until something actually happens)? We all wonder "what would happen if...", "what would I do if...".
I would put safety paranoia before security paranoia, so I would never lock myself in - in case of fire or whatever

For me the attraction of these screw plates (as far as I can tell from the video) is that they would be a substantial deterrent. A thief would pretty much have to wrench the entire window out of the wall to get in. And the situation that I'd be most paranoid about is leaving the van unattended while I'm off somewhere for the day. If a thief really wanted to he could smash the cab windows and climb in (as the doors would be deadlocked), he could ignore the alarm as would most passers-by.... but that wouldn't be the majority of opportunists. All we can do is minimise the risk, deter the common thief.

This system does look pricey, judging from the website and compared to the Lock-M-out, but I'll be spending "half a house" on a van next year so a few hundred to get these fitted is worth it from what I can see (I'm not a DIYer with things like this).
I would agree the whole point of these are to make the window look like it's not worth the risk ,in theory as the longer it takes to break open the more chance of being caught so thieves would probably move on to an easier target:xThumb:

RS_rob

Free Member
Dec 14, 2013
Turnford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
over a Year Yay................
Im a theif :xwink: so ill just insert my crow bar higher up & break the plastic hinges that are held on with self tappers & lift the window out & hey presto im taking you valuables :xsurprised: :cool: now youve got a more expensive repair bill :LOL:

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Ah but the bottom is screwed in so it's even harder to get the window out making more noise and take even longer more chance of being caught:xcool:

RS_rob

Free Member
Dec 14, 2013
Turnford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
thats ok your parked in the middle of nowhere & i watched you go out on your bike so ill just pull on it :xblush:

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Well if your that determined nothing will stop you but we were talking opportunists here who probably don't sus it out they just come along hoping for a quick buck so let's make it harder to get in anyway.:xThumb:

Nov 28, 2007
Funster No
Looks like an expensive way to slow the thief down by about 5 seconds, if they want it they will just take it and do more damage, they will simply put a crowbar through the window or prize the sides

Why not just fit milenco window alarms, job done in ten minutes and just as affective as the one thing a thief wont like is noise.

A boat on the river near us had an outboard stolen so his new engine he bolted and padlocked on, the toe rags came back and just cut out his stern with the engine on and took it away, resulting in an even costlier repair.

RS_rob

Free Member
Dec 14, 2013
Turnford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Looks like an expensive way to slow the thief down by about 5 seconds, if they want it they will just take it and do more damage, they will simply put a crowbar through the window or prize the sides

Why not just fit milenco window alarms, job done in ten minutes and just as affective as the one thing a thief wont like is noise.

A boat on the river near us had an outboard stolen so his new engine he bolted and padlocked on, the toe rags came back and just cut out his stern with the engine on and took it away, resulting in an even costlier repair.

My point exactly :xgrin:

RS_rob

Free Member
Dec 14, 2013
Turnford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Had a good long chat with Ashley & Eddie @ Vanvitz about security when we had our Growler fited & I now leave the extra security items off when we are away & the alarm on.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Every one to their own and if that's what makes you feel safe do it!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back