1. MotorhomeFun The best Motorhome Club in the World

Register to remove adverts Register Here

Welcome to Motorhome Fun

MotorhomeFun is a large community of motorhome and touring enthusiasts. Our website is the busiest of its kind. It serves as a meeting place for thousands of members who share their knowledge of motorhomes and travel, as well as arrange rallies in the UK, Europe and beyond.

It's easy to join us and takes just a minute

Window Security

Discussion in 'MOTORHOME CHAT' started by Wombles, Dec 14, 2013.

1. Wombles

Wombles Funster

Bit disappointed to find that our lovely new Chausson motorhome only has standard window handles with no lock button! We do already have Milenco Sleep Safe alarms (bit like the other ones mentioned recently) to fit as found these to be excellent in the past but wanted to use something like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MOTORHOME...jxOAUmQztGrRvzMZTz7bM%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc to help prevent break ins as alarms are ok when in the van but not necessarily a deterrent if in a quiet car park. Can't find these anywhere other than expired listing & Twitter even under the name LOCK M OUT (may not work with our buttonless handles?) - does anyone know of any similiar products & where to buy them from or any diy options to stop the handles being lifted open from outside. I saw a horrendous video on You Tube which shows just how easily the windows can be opened! Makes all our other security measures seem pointless if the windows are so vulnerable...

2. Encantador

Encantador Funster

3. paulmold

paulmold Read Only Funster

I contacted Chris Goff Design through the above link and he has updated the design now, it's now made of steel and there are different designs for Seitz windows. I've copied an extract from his email here......

Thank you for your enquiry, we have changed the design of the lock M
    Out devices, they are now made from steel and are £9.99 + £1.60 p+p
    per pair instead of £11.00 or £12.00 for the ones in the video. We
    would need to know what kind of widow catches you have are they the
    same as in the video or Seitz which are wider and normally have a
    button?
    If they are Seitz type they come in right and left handed so we would
    need this information too.

His email address is chrisgoffdesign@gmail

4. Wombles

Wombles Funster

Thank you both for the info. - I will email him & see if I can get hold of some of his locks & will leave feedback here. Has anyone tried these or have any diy solutions for the window handle security problem?

5. jknowlesjacky

jknowlesjacky Funster

:thumb:

6. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster-Life Member

looks handy to deter an opportunist, but a determined thief knows that one good pull and the screws pull through the plastic. then you would need to secure the hole in the van till you can replace the window

its far better to fit a decent alarm with a warning led at each window. if they believe that the alarm will go off, then they will move on elsewhere and do no damage to your van

2 people like this.
  7. Wombles

Wombles Funster

We do have a Vanbitz Strikeback alarm fitted but we live in an area where car alarms go off all the time & even house alarms & no-one seems to respond in any way so just want it all as secure & difficult as it can be so less chance of a problem. Have read too many posts about people who have left their motorhomes in a busy car park then come back at the end of the day to find that despite the alarm having been activated their windows have still been opened & the culprits have got in.

8. MikeandCarolyn

MikeandCarolyn Funster

Maybe you have :Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

If they want to get in ,they will.

Mike

9. Foggy

Foggy Funster Trader

Lock M Out

Hi Guys
    Chris and Carol from Lock M Out here
    We see you have been discussing our products, so thought we would give you all some information about our new designs.
    If you need any further info please feel free to contact us on 07446 911511
    or email chrisgoffdesign@gmail.com.
    Stay safe
    kind regards
    Chris & Carol

View attachment Device Instructions Polyfix copy 2.doc

View attachment Device word sm copy.doc

View attachment device seitz doc copy.doc

View attachment Device Instructions Seitz copy 2.doc

10. Minx

Minx Funster Life Member

The 'original' ones just look like bent metal tubes! Surely if you could push them on, a thief could soon hook onto them and push them off??? :Doh:

Wasn't there a trick where you drill a small hole in the bottom of the handle where it slots over the plate on the window frame and into the plate too, and then put in a small 'plug' of some sort to hold it in place which you can remove when you want to open the window?

Attached Files:

11. nannyjan

nannyjan Funster

Window locks

Hi there, I also had the button less window handles and got broken into because they simply put a blade through the rubber around the window and lifted the handles. I have since purchased the same handles but with the button lock from Marquis motorhomes, any branch. It was so simple to change them. I feel much happier now and all windows handles have been changed to the button handles. Well worth doing.

12. Wombles

Wombles Funster

We've ordered a pair of the Lock M Out to try & may change to locking handles too! Wondered if the fixing holes could be the same & if it would be a simple changeover so thank you for your tip.

13. nannyjan

nannyjan Funster

lockable window handles.

Hi the lockable handles were exactly the same size as the fitted ones I had on delivery of vehicle. The former handles just slipped off when the hole in the centre was depressed using a pen nib. Then the lockable handles were simple slipped back over. It was so easy and Marquis showed me how to remove the former ones when I went into order the lockable ones. well worth doing and so easy.

14. Mattyjwr

Mattyjwr Funster

Has anyone tried these Lock M Outs? How do they compare to getting new polylocks with lockable central spindles? I would be aiming to replace 4 or 6 window locks - can anyone recommend a supplier for lockable polyfix window locks?

15. Wombles

Wombles Funster

We are very pleased with our Lock M Outs - easy to fit & remove in an emergency & make the window much more secure.