Window seal, what to do?

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by Emmenay, Apr 24, 2014.

1. Emmenay

Emmenay Read Only Funster

Just had a couple of VERY wet days in Ronda, Spain. Probably the most unrelenting 48hrs of rain i have encountered but hey ho!
    As a result I have noticed my Seitz bathroom window seal is weeping. Now given that it is soooo difficult to get spares delivered to me I am wondering what can be done as a temporary fix, if anything, until I return to the UK in June. I have thought about a smear of sealant around the seal but history tells me thats not always the answer.
    Any better suggestions welcome :thumb:
    The annoying thing is I have a visitor coming to stay on Sunday from the UK and if I'd known about the leak sooner I could have got her to bring a new seal, and a battery master while where on the subject! Doh :Doh:

2. golly

golly Funster

I would be tempted to try drying it off and putting some duct tape around. Not pretty but should be OK

3. Terry

Terry Funster

Do you mean the outer seal that seals the van to window /window to the van ? if it's that I would simply mask the frame up and the van (about 1/8th ins each side) and Sikaflex it :thumb:Failing that remove the inner blinds/frame (watch all the window does not fall out) and re bed the window seal
    terry

• Like Like x 1
  4. Emmenay

Emmenay Read Only Funster

No its the black rubber outer one that seals the glazing to the outer frame. I have taken it out, cleaned and put back but I think it will still leak knowing my luck. As far as I can see it is not actually glued or sealed in place but wondered if there were any tricks of the trade before replacing. :thumb:

5. happypre65

happypre65 Funster

Window seal,what to do.

Hi,smear some vaseline all round the rubber,the rubber has lost its grip,hope this helps,any thing with a bit of tacky stuff will do.regards H:BigGrin:

6. Terry

Terry Funster

LIP BALM easy quick and clean to apply -simply removing and cleaning in warm soapy water ,then lip balm and refitting may well cure it :Wink:
    terry